5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine!
I was going to go for a cheaper computer in another brand but a salesperson directed my attention to the processor and graphics card in this model. Although I have never had a Gateway, this obviously had a lot more bang for my buck and would be suitable for a little gaming.
Published on March 10, 2010 by M. L. Dehm

2.0 out of 5 stars any suggestions?
hi,
Published on March 25, 2010 by boris

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic bang for the buck, June 13, 2010
Update 2011 June 21:
Just tried 4x4GB DDR3 RAM sticks (16GB total) and it automatically booted and ran fine (I didn't even go into BIOS to change any settings).
The Gateway site says that 8GB is max RAM capacity for this machine, but that is obvously wrong as I have now tested it with 16GB.
The DX4831 has now been replaced by the DX4850. Just add 16GB RAM plus an SSD for your OS drive and you have an amazingly capable Photoshop machine for only ~$1300!

original review:
I bought this computer for one purpose only: faster production in Photoshop.

I am a full-time photographer who shoots and then processes my images in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) and Photoshop.
My last computer was a quad-core 2.4 Ghz, 3GB, 32bit Vista machine, with NVidia GT9500 display card, and fast hard drives.

Here are the speed test comparison results. The main difference in speed is accomplished by the greater amount of RAM. When working on large layered TIFF or PSD files, 16GB of RAM would even be better. But for simply doing file conversions in ACR, 8GB is generally sufficient.

I tested both CS4 and CS5, and there is very little practical difference between the two.

HP m8120n (2.4Ghz QuadCore, 3GB RAM, Vista):

99 history states (practical setting): 23 sec
1 history state (theoretical test only): 23 sec
Open 25MB CR2 file in Camera raw: 1 sec
Open CR2 file from ACR to Photoshop: 3-4 sec

The DX4831-03 is also much better with Adobe Bridge, and almost all of the improvements are probably attributable to the increased RAM (8GB vs my old 3GB). This machine would be even better suited to Photoshop and Bridge if it had 16GB of RAM. The motherboard on the Gateway DX4831-03 has 4 RAM slots, so the RAM could be increased to 16GB. But it is presently populated with 4 2GB sticks, so that would mean throwing them away (or selling them if possible) and replacing them with 4 4GB sticks which are running about $150 each these days. So that would be a $600 upgrade on an $850 machine! Hopefully the 4GB sticks will come down in price soon.

Generally for the work I do, I guess the DX4831-03 feels about twice as fast as my old machine (2.4ghz QuadCore 3GB), and also smoother with fewer fits and starts.

The processor is noticeably faster, the display card is faster, and the 8GB RAM makes a huge difference.
The hard drive that comes in it is the slow WD "green" drive, but it is plenty fast for storage and I'll put my 1TB WD black drive or a SSS (Solid State Storage) unit in for my OS.

Also the CF card reader is twice as fast with my slow 16GB (Transcend 133x) card. 30+MB/sec. Gateway vs HP 15+MB/sec

The case is reasonable but not great. It has a 3.5" drive cage that faces the proper direction (toward the removable side panel) but only holds 2 drives.
It has nicely situated ports on the front and top of the machine where they are easily reachable.
It has 2 eSATA ports which are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for connecting external drives. It would have been nice if this unit had USB 3.0 ports, but alas, not yet. I'll have to add them later.
It also has a 1394 (firewire) port.

Also, it runs fairly quietly - barely audible and not at all annoying.

One significant complaint: it comes with WIRED (!?!?!!!???) mouse and keyboard. And the keyboard is one of those horrible, awuful $2 chicklet type keyboards!!! Shame on you Gateway. This is not a toy, it is a workplace tool. Good wireless keyboards and mice are so ubiquitous and inexpensive that there is NO excuse for not including those two essential interface devices.

A properly configured i7 980x system with 16GB RAM would be enough faster to make a difference, but at $2500-$3000, how much time would it REALLY save you?

So overall, I think the Gateway DX4831-03 is a worthwhile $850, and maybe the best "bang-for-the-buck" Photoshop alternative out there. And be sure to get the -03 and not the -05. The 03 has a Blu-ray drive and a better display card, for only $50 more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine!, March 10, 2010
M. L. Dehm (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gateway DX4831-03 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I've had it a month now and love it. I have not had one single issue or difficulty so far except that the Blu-ray player is a little slow in loading the movie. Otherwise loads and runs deliciously fast!
I love the top tray for storing my iPod safely while it's charging and the front memory ports.
Overall, very pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars The "new" fast, March 11, 2010
This review is from: Gateway DX4831-03 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I've read the reviews on the iCore chips wanting a reasonably priced desktop that takes advantage of new technology. My previous desktop was adequate but slow in performance. My first issue is I didn't want to spend a lot of money since computer prices are cheap right now. In addition, computers change too quickly to justify thousands of dollar price tags. This computer runs smooth, fast and has plenty of memory. It comes with 8GB DDR3 and 1 TB HHD with gives me adequate space for my photography. The blue ray player is a plus. Finally, I matched the Gateway with a LG Flatron W2353V monitor and it is sweet. Great buy below the cost of more well-known brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price for what you get, March 7, 2010
This review is from: Gateway DX4831-03 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I was a little hesitant buying this computer at first because i didn't really trust gateway.
A couple weeks ago however i gave in because i really liked the specs. Ever since I have been using this computer and couldn't be happier with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong over 1 year later, July 28, 2011
This review is from: Gateway DX4831-03 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I purchased this back in March 2010 and for someone who replaces his computer often I see no need to replace this one yet. It's fast (i5 processor), plenty of memory (8GB), large hard drive (1TB) excellent video card with multiple connections (DVI, VGA and HDMI), 10 USB ports, plenty of media card readers and a blu ray drive. I have had no issues at all. One of the best desktops I have owned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with my Gateway, June 15, 2010
Lee Hogan (Longs, SC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gateway DX4831-03 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I have had my PC a little while now, and can say that I am not dissapointed.

I bought it as a media powerhouse, not to really play games - and for that it has done me good.

Windows 7 is great, a tiny bit of getting used to - but overall I really like it.

The pC is reliable, starts up quick and runs smooth.

The trial issue of norton is good - I happened to mess with it, and accidentally moved it - I just bought a new version.

Go out and get it, if you want value and good specs for your money

2.0 out of 5 stars any suggestions?, March 25, 2010
hi,
i just got this computer, but the HDMI output is not being detected by the monitor. anyone got clue as to what might be wrong? i spent hours online trying to figure out what could be the problem, but no luck. i checked all the obvious i.e. hdmi cables, and monitor and nothing wrong with those. the VGA signal works, but thats it. i tried to check if there was a way to see if there was a systems check to see if it was working, but couldnt find how to do it. im not a computer guy so any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. if not, i just have to return this machine. thanks.

2.0 out of 5 stars as yet inconclusive, March 30, 2010
E. Loebl (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gateway DX4831-03 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I am disappointed and indeed not very satisfied with the item; however I want todefer final judgment until I have had more time and opportunioty to become familiar with various features and operations

Gateway DX4831-03 Desktop (Black)
Out of stock