5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby Red
I love this Ruby Red Netbook with 9+ of Battery Life with Windows 7 Starter.

I have had this computer for almost 2 months and I love it so much. It is more than I had hoped for and it has a 250 harddrive and after loading everything under the sun...including books, music, pictures, etc. I haven't even dented the 250 bytes.

I recommend this...
Published on December 9, 2009 by L. Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars System is Amazing, DREADFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE
Published on January 23, 2010 by Charlotte Newman

2.0 out of 5 stars System is Amazing, DREADFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE, January 23, 2010
This review is from: Gateway LT2041u 10.1-Inch Red Netbook - Over 8 Hours of Battery Life (Windows 7 Starter) (Personal Computers)
I was delighted to purchase an affordable netbook from a reputable company that came equipped with decent software. I've owned this netbook for a short time and all was perfect until one day it failed to start up. I contacted Gateway to address the problem in hopes of guidance for a simple reboot. I was unable to get an actual person on the phone and the automated messages encouraged correspondence via email. Seeing that the netbook was unusable, contact was difficult. I managed to report the problem but have been jerked around for the past 2 weeks with suggestions that have either failed or do not pertain to the issue. I've had to repeat my situation with each response and still have nothing to show for it. They have been extremely hesitant in fulfilling my request to send my netbook in for analysis or exchanging for a new one. The netbook is still under warranty but has proven useless. This whole ordeal has been absolutely frustrating and I sincerely regret ever purchasing a product from Gateway.

Please note that the product itself was wonderful when in working condition and the problem with my particular netbook does not represent all Gateway products. However, please take into consideration that if you do find a problem or defect with your product that a resolution (if at all) will take a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby Red, December 9, 2009
I love this Ruby Red Netbook with 9+ of Battery Life with Windows 7 Starter.

I recommend this particular netbook computer and the price is amazing. Who would think you could pay way under $400 to have a computer that does wheelies around anything ever before that I've purchased and used. If it ever breaks down...it's not a financial loss like my last laptop was.

4.0 out of 5 stars They should have told you..., January 31, 2010
When I first purchased this product about a month ago I was unaware that when it comes with Windows 7 Starter that you would have to fork over $70.00 to have the full version installed... The reason for this is since this Netbook does not have in internal DVD/CD drive you are required to use an external.. BUT... You cannot use the external DVD/CD player until you purchase the upgrade to the Full version of Windows 7... If i would have known this i would have used the money to purchase a larger quicker machine.. Don't get me wrong for the small size is great and looks sharp, it is just that i had to upgrade and support Microsoft just a little bit more... Thanks Bill.
Overall even after the purchase of the upgrade i am satisfied with my purchase and would recommend if you need a small devise that you can nearly fit into your pocket, if you can adjust to the 90% keyboard and 10.1"screen. Hope this helps...
Oh and one other thing, the battery last a good while, i would say with normal surfing and word docs open around 5.5 - 6 hours.... Not bad for something this small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally happy with this netbook!, December 27, 2009
I bought this netbook for travel. My husband and I will use it on trips overseas and here in the USA. This is a beautiful cherry red case, very sleek and stylish. I'm totally satisfied with the performance, too. It runs surprisingly fast. The Atom N-280 is a speedy processor, much better than I expected. I recommend this computer to anyone looking for an attractive, light weight and speedy netbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought it., December 14, 2009
I bought the Gateway LT2044u for my 8 year old granddaughter. I have since recieved it and powered it up. It comes with Windows 7 Starter. The screen is great, it is reasonably fast and I highly recommend it. I got it from Amazon for $376 with free ship and no tax. It has blue tooth so that she can teather through cell without charging the cell phone (MOTOQ) battery. I connected it to my home network via WiFi (easily done) and updated Norton first (51 days of protection) but I will switch her to the new, and free I might add, Microsoft Security Essentials offered for download (Google it to find). I also had it get all the Microsoft updates. I have since ordered an external DVD read/write to back the software up and load any new software that may come down the pike. I ordered a 2GB memory upgrade from Amazon for $40 and will install it after I get the machine backed up. I also ordered a 1TB External Western Digital Mirror drive from Amazon for $129 and plan to use it for all of the various computers around the house. Finally, I have connected to YouTube with the machine and gave it the video and sound test by viewing Tommy Emmanuel boogie routine and it proved to do very well. I ordered a set of Sony headphones to go with it as I have seen that kids and teens love this option. I hope this helps with your decision. Merry Christmas.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sent in twice for repairs in first 10 months of owning it, October 29, 2010
When it worked, this is was a great computer with a great battery life. But about 6 months into owning it I started getting vertical lines that took up the whole screen and I would have to push the screen forward then back to get it to a place where the lines would disappear. It got worse and I sent it in for a warranty repair. That was a hassle- I tried to submit the request via email and the system wouldn't accept it. So then I tried the online chat with a help technician. That required me to exit the online conversation and test the netbook including restarting it (which ended my online chat). After doing the test I had to re-enter my warranty information to then have a second online chat with someone else before I could get an address and the process for sending it in for repairs.

I got the machine back and less than a month later I started having the SAME problem. Online searching turned up a phone number to call for tech support, which I assumed would be better than the online chat. Not so. I was on hold for 40 minutes and got disconnected. I called a different customer service number and was on hold for TWO HOURS and was never connected to a live person. So I went back to the online chat and wasted another hour of my life there. When I asked for a replacement rather than another fix I was told that wasn't an option. The warranty agreement specifically says they have the option to repair, replace or refund your money. What a lie. At this point who knows if it will ever get fixed properly and how long before something else goes wrong with it. This purchase definitely rates a 10 out of 10 for frustration and wasting my time.

This was my first Gateway purchase and it will definitely be my last. I've had multiple purchases from Dell and IMB/Lenovo and have NEVER had problems. And I've never had such difficulty getting through to customer service on the phone with other companies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down best netbook for the price I paid, March 22, 2010
I purchased this netbook about a month ago and I can't put it down. I take it everywhere. The display is crystal clear and the keyboard is just the right size. It does collect finger prints, but as long as you don't touch the display who cares. I had only one issue so far and the service was great. I can't say it's the fastest (2 weeks), but it's fixed. I had to have the keyboard replaced under warranty. Let's just say it someone got a hold of it when daddy wasn't looking. I was able to get it from Amazon for $279 with free shipping...I put in a Western Digital Scorpio 320GB 7200RPM drive...upgraded the memory to 2GB...and put in a 8GB SD card for ReadyBoost (didn't see a difference with the ReadyBoost). I was able to clone the hard drive, so I didn't lose any special software or setup. The best part was I didn't have to try and reinstall an OS. The processor is ok...the reason why I bought this model is because I can't stand the touchpads on the newer netbook models and there really isn't that big of a difference between the N280 and N450 chipset. This netbook is completely loaded. It's perfect for small applications, surfing the net, and doing email. I just put MS Office 2010 Beta on it without any issues. This is my first Gateway and being a computer specialist I was a little nervous, but not anymore.

2.0 out of 5 stars decent notebok....very poor customer service, March 5, 2010
Got my little notebook for Christmas, thanks kids, and got to use it for several weeks before the problem started. I was getting power surge notices which was corrupting my work, meaning I has to stop and fix the message and restart thus loosing online work. Have to say that I so like this notebook when it is working.
Three weeks of online help with numerous 'fixes' from simple bios reload to a complete system restore.
Kept telling them it was a motherboard issue. So they finally agreed to take it in to repair facility and I had to pay for shipping. Two more weeks, it is now March 5th, got the computer back yesterday and it still gives me an error message! Called again, number ? I forget how many times, send it back and we will definitely fix it this time. So now I will again be with out my computer for another two and a half weeks while they try to fix it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but, July 13, 2010
Brewer (Chapel Hill, NC) - See all my reviews
I bought this netbook about a month ago.
It delivers good performance. It connects quickly and easily to wireless sites.
It's great value for a 250g hard drive.
And most amazingly the stated battery life appears correct- I have no problem with consistent 7 or 8 hours of battery availability.
I don't find Windows 7 Starter a problem though I would have preferred full XP or Vista, which I have on a Toshiba laptop.
The size and ease of carry is wonderful. I now don't know how I lugged the Toshiba laptop around with me in the past.
But the "touch pad" is difficult to master, I find it annoying. I now carry a small "mouse" with the computer to offset the built in pad.
It also takes some extra effort and care to get used to the smaller keyboard.
And while the video camera is great I really would like to find a way to get it out of the way and off the screen. So far I am unable to do so.
Overall an impressive piece of equipment. And for the money, I remain convinced-hard to beat.
Reliability was great-out of the box. It's as close to "plug and play" as I can imagine.
Some good thought went into this but like anything there will be some features that cause some people difficulties.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gateway Net book, June 12, 2010
It is a great little netbook for the price. Loved it at first. 3 Weeks later, the screen went bad. Everything else was fine. I called Adorama but they only would take it back after 14 days only. THey told me to call GAteway. Gateway was very helpfuL and courteous. THey sent me a free shipping label via email to send the netbook to a Acer repair in Texas. Shipping is free both ways and they said they will repair it. I am awaiting it. I loved all the features and I hope the screen was only a temporary problem.

Rate and Discover Movies