5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me!
Published 12 months ago by James P. Tron

1.0 out of 5 stars Would love to give this computer more stars!!
Published 7 months ago by drew1718

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me!, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Gateway NE72206u 17.3-Inch Laptop (Silky Silver) (Personal Computers)
Been a Gateway user for years. Only PC/laptop I'll buy, even though Acer bought them out. Great power, memory, and storage for the money. Fast 2GHz quad core processore! Cannot downgrade to Window 7 from 8 since there are only a few available drivers. Installed third party user interface to make it look and act like Windows 7. Works great. My wife is happy with it, and, if she's happy, I'm happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, Sleek and fast!, August 31, 2013
I'd had an HP laptop for six years. Originally, loved it, but it became a chore to haul it around. It was way too heavy and it'd gotten old and slow. This Gateway NE72206u is a racehorse. It boots up quickly, has a nice long battery life and I love every aspect of it's use.

4.0 out of 5 stars good laptop, September 4, 2013
This was a gift for a young lady who now needs one in middle school. It is more than whe needs at present but is fast enough and capable enough to serve her for a few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop at an unbeatable value, September 16, 2013
I didn't have a huge budget for a new laptop, so this one was a great find. It's everything I needed for work and school, and still powerful enough for mobile gaming and high-def movies. Also, surprisingly light for a widescreen laptop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would love to give this computer more stars!!, February 10, 2014
I would love to say that it has been great, but that would be false. I have had two of these now, and they both had the same problem, which is that when you have far too many applications running (especially with internet explorer) the computer will sometimes get a screen that is all jumbled up with colors, and then crash. Running multiple applications is supposed to be the strength of this processor. I came home from class last night, and the laptop I have wont boot up. It is asking for a boot cd that I never received. I have bought gateways all my life, but this model seems to be a lemon. I really love how fast it is, and it starts up quick and is really quiet. It is too bad that I couldn't give it a better review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect, But Very Satisfactory, December 5, 2013
I've had this computer for a couple of months now. It's stable and plenty fast for productivity use. Wi-Fi connectivity is good. The screen is big bright and clear. Videos play smoothly. The web cam works great with Skype. I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 without a problem. Battery life is fine. Styling is nice.

Some very minor complaints . . .

The keys are very flat, making typing a little awkward . . . typical of thinner laptops these days. The built-in speakers could be better. The touchpad doesn't work as well as it could, but I generally use a wireless mouse anyway. The computer came with a lot of semi-useless programs (crapware/trialware) loaded that I uninstalled . . . but I guess that helps reduce the price . . . and I'm OK with that.

It makes for a nice desktop replacement unit with a nice sized screen, but the big screen makes it less portable. It's fine for moving around the house, but if I planned to lug it around with me all day to meetings or classes, I would buy something more compact. For the price, I'm generally very happy with the laptop. I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Laptop yeah Windows 8 Nay, November 16, 2013
It's exactly what I Expected. It seems a little big for a laptop but we wanted the larger screen. And we're happy with its size. Don't like windows 8, but we new that before we bought it. I WILL GO OUT OF MY WAY TO AVOID WINDOWS 8 ON MY NEXT PC. The cursor pad is very sensitive. To sensitive for my taste and sometimes requires 2 hands to perform certain functions. We're going to get an actual mouse for it. The only reason for the 4 instead of 5 star rating is because a few of the keys all the way to the left of the keyboard are sticking up as if they are going to pop out. But we've been using it for a month now and they haven't popped out yet. Also the screen is very shinny, so if you have a bright light behind you or window you will see that in the screen along with your reflection at times. Not to bothersome just letting you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars gateway, February 20, 2014
The laptop works well. I hate windows 8. Other than that the laptop is a good buy. Big screen and plenty fast.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's a good laptop, just not for gaming., April 29, 2014
well i like it for my facebooking and other website needs, gaming is just a no no for it. i'm always the last to load into lobby and game when playing league, i can't even play with skype open without a huge drop in fps. if i had the money to can it i would but sadly i'm poor and can't afford a computer with a good processor.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, March 15, 2014
After getting a refurbished Gateway a few years back (and with how well it worked given the horrid conditions my family must have put it through) I decided to go for a brand new one. On sale, it was far less than the comparable Dell, Sony, and HP laptops with each having one pitfall or another, whether they match the specs but are more expensive or match the price by dropping one or more parts of the system.

ONE PROBLEM

The arrow keys are wonky. If you use the up arrow and try to use the left or right while the up arrow is still being pressed, the left or right key works but cuts off the up arrow, like the OS stops 'listening' to that particular key.

THREE COMPLAINTS

The bloatware that comes pre-installed was difficult to remove, there was so much that it took me almost a week of uninstalling and rebooting to finally get it down to a manageable level.

Also, on either side of the up arrow there are currency keys: € ^ $
These are difficult to distinguish from the left or right arrow when coding quickly and you are likely to accidentally slip in one of these characters and breaking your code. Really, any data entry that uses the arrow keys is difficult to do without hitting the currency keys at least once.

Sometimes a key will 'stick' and two of the same letter will appear, the key won't literally stick down but the result is the same.

Overall, well worth the price, would buy again in a heartbeat.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›