Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on March 12, 2011
This notebook is an excellent value for the price. I have had mine for about a month. Mostly for home office/grad school work (installed office 2010 on it). The features are great, especially HDMI out, full size number pad, and SD card reader. Battery life is roughly 3.5 hours with WiFi on and display at 70% brightness. Compared to other notebooks, this Gateway has MUCH less bundled junk-ware installed on it.

My complaints about this laptop are all minor: The plastic case feels a little cheap, but has held up fine. I'm not real fond of the 'grain' in the plastic, but you get used to it. The fan cycles on/off a fair bit which can be a litte annoying in a quiet environment, but isnt a big deal. The speakers are a little weak, but serve the purpose. I'm currently connecting wirelessly at 144mb/s to a simultaneous dual N band router - not as fast as I would like, but plenty fast for what I do.

Overall its a great laptop, and I would recommend it to anyone.
on April 9, 2011
Actually purchased this at a store, however the day I went I needed one, and the one I planned to buy was out of stock, however ended up purchasing this one, which was equivlent performance and hardware and $150 cheaper. I have been nothing but pleased! Battery life is excellent, I average just about 4 hours on wifi, probably the best item is it runs a lot cooler than previous laptops I have had. In my house we have cooling pads in each room, however for this one I have never needed one.

The "grainy" exterior takes a little getting used to, however in the end who cares that much... Speakers are not the greatest but do a decent job.... Full 10key is nice, I think its light, just bought a laptop for my wife that is only a 14" screen and I think this is much lighter... As long as you are not a "gamer" this is an excellent computer!
on April 13, 2011
I'll preface this review by stating I am in no way, shape or form a computer geek. I needed to replace my older Gateway and started my search with very few 'must have's' on my list. This computer met everything on my list and a little more. I love the display and the keyboard is very functional. It's quite compact which is nice since I tend to haul it around with me a lot. I wouldn't rate the case as the best, but it's more than adequate. I just make sure I always put it in a protective sleeve when I take it anywhere. While I like having USB ports on both sides (one on left and 2 on right), I would have rather had the ones on the right be a bit more towards the back. They are in an odd spot when you attach a mouse. The only downside I have come across (I have had this computer for about a month now) is the sound is really bad. The quality isn't, but the volume is really, really horrible. This was an easily resolved problem with a set of speakers though. Still, that's a bit of a hassle. Bottom line is I would absolutely buy this same laptop again and for the price, you really can't beat it.
on May 6, 2011
I liked this laptop so much that I ordered another one (the second one slightly cheaper from somewhere else). My daughter uses the first one, and the second one lives perched on top of my media center, streaming videos to the TV. The HDMI port is absolutely amazing. In fact the image it generates on a high-end LED TV is so awesome that you'll want to be careful: Once you experience it you won't want to go back to a dinky monitor.

The constructions is plasticky cheap but I don't care. The keyboard is quite good, and it includes a full-size keypad, something I still have to get used to in a laptop. The SD reader is perfect because all my cameras use SD. Battery life is excellent, the laptop is light and easy to carry around. The wireless performance is great.

Three minor nitpicks that cost the laptop one whole rating star.

One, the usual crapware installed in brand name computers. Not a big deal I suppose, and everyone does it, but it takes time to remove it all. I'm looking at you, Symantec.

Second, no Bluetooth. This is important because the USB ports are all positioned to the sides and front of the chassis. This means that depending on how your work area is configured, it can be a pain to use a USB mouse (the trackpad is fine, but like all trackpads it gets old afer a while). No Bluetooth, no easy way to use a wireless mouse, and USB mice are awkward. So the location of the USB ports is my third nitpick.

On the other hand, for the sub-$500 price... not much you can complain about, really. This is a perfect starter machine, and even a decent media hub to pair with your home entertainment center.
on April 20, 2011
This is the easiest computer I ever set up. It is working like a dream.
It easily does Netflix in HD over Verizon DSL at 5MB/s. It can do everything my desktop does and more. I am extremely impressed so far.
The HD webcam is above average.
I have multiple apps open and I am using about 2GB RAM and about 35 percent CPU. Webpages load fast using Google Chrome.
I hooked an extra Bluetooth dongle laying around so now its bluetooth ready.
My Wi-Fi router is password protected and I forgot the password so I cant comment on the wi-Fi but it did recognize my network so there is that.
The power brick is warm but not hot after about 7hrs. use today.
LED display is beautiful with decent viewable angles. Colors are rich.
Light and extremely portable. Plastic wood grain is nice but I wish it were brushed aluminum. At $399 plastic will have to do.
Keyboard is spacious and responsive.
on June 6, 2011
I purchased this computer over a month ago. It's been a great computer so far. I have an older HP laptop that has always had annoying little problems. This Gateway has been a joy to use since we got it. Good value. Highly recommend.
on May 2, 2011
this was so easy to start. my six year old opened the box before i arrived home and actually was playing games when i arrived. this lap top has actually been used 16 hours a day since. it is light weight, so taking it along is no problem. Love this computer
on November 7, 2011
The Unit I purchased was defective .... It began to cut of by its self. Tech support was not helpful returned the computer. I do not reccomend purchasing a Gateway product especially from Circuit City !
on July 2, 2012
At first I was delighted with all power bells and whistles of this NV55C. I have 5 computers so I did
not spend a lot of time on this one at first. When I isolated it to take for travel I have been very disappointed
since. The keyboard is a nightmare. It has the most annoying issue with jumping backwards and thus far I have not found a resolution. I am tempted attach my desktop PC for the sake of sanity. That defeats the purpose of purchasing a laptop.
I have no issues with the seller, this is apparently a Gateway issue. This is something I would have wanted to know though. I would be delighted to find a resolution for what
would otherwise be a terrific laptop. I never bought Gateway, don't think I will again.
on June 13, 2011
My new laptop is great. No problems with setup - it was quick and easy. I really like the speed of it. It's so much faster than my old desktop computer. I've had Gateway computers before and have always liked the dependability of them. I'm glad I stuck with Gateway on this purchase.

See 1 answered question