Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

on July 25, 2012
Ok, got this one when it was at about $475.00 so it was a really bargain if you consider what you get: Quad core CPU, above average GPU, 6GB RAM and 1 TB HD! I use this computer for watching live TV, movies and some gaming. Yes, gaming. Not the latest titles, mind you, but it runs FSX with almost full options, and never drops below 20fps, even in high populated areas. FS9 is like a dream, constant 30fps with all settings (including add on light bloom), real world traffic, plenty of add ons... it's amazingly fast!

For office chores, it's a speeding bullet. Office '07 takes less than 2 seconds to start (any app). Video definition is superb. The small footprint is really eye catching and elegant. And I really do like the glow lights, and like even more the capability to turn it off with a single button.

Just got it about a week ago, so I can't really comment (yet) on reliability, but if it's on th same kind of standards as emachines (which is also owned by Acer), the it should be mo than just ok. I still got a little emachines nettop running after 3 years of use and abuse (including overclocking!), so that is a great indicator of what to expect from this beauty.

I found it a bit disappointing that I found practically no reviews or benchmarks of this computer, and if you're a bit like me, we know that we definitely need to see benchmarks before making a purchase decision, so here are a few:

Even though the Windows Experience Index is (in my opinion) very limited, lots of people trust in it, so here are the numbers:

CPU: 7.3

Geekbench: 5499;
3dmark Vantage (performance) 3,544
Passmark's Performance Test 7 CPU: 3603
Passmark's Performance Test 7 3d graphics: 607

Windows 7 Home Edition works just fine. There's some bloatware, bu it shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes to remove everything that you don't need.

And just for the kick of it, I installed Linux Mint Maya and everything works as supposed. Too bad it seems to be non-hackintoshable jejeje!

Cons? Perhaps the wired keyboard and mouse. It should be great to have that nice keyboard in a wireless mode. No e-sata port (that was a big con for me) and.... nothing else, I guess.

Added a 2 GB RAM stick for an 8GB total. Connected via HDMI to a 32" LCD TV, audio and video works great (both in Windows AND Linux Mint).

I noticed that existence of his computer is thinning out. Probably because of the new Trinity APU. However, I saw some benchmarks comparing the A8-3850 (which is a bit faster than my 3820) with the new A8 (5600k i think?) and performance wise it seemed to be on par, except on FPU where the "old" Llano is faster! (because the new Trinity APU apparently shares one FPU for every 2 cores, while Llano has a FPU for each core). I'm pretty sure, however, that in real life the differences would not be noticeable. I guess the only reason to wait and pay a bit more for a Trinity computer would be if you're planning to do a CPU upgrade in the future, because of the different sockets.

To sum it up, this is a GREAT computer to get now. If you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do now!

Frank Salazar
Guatemala, Central America.

UPDATE - February 2013

I just ordered and installed this blu ray drive:

Lite-On 4X SATA Blu-ray ROM Drive IHOS104-06

and it works wonderful! The computer has no troubles whatsoever playing blu ray movies. The install process was a bit cumbersome, but nothing that can't be done with a little patience.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2012
I have had this computer for a little over one month. It works great for basic computer work. I have not used the computer for any gaming, but have hooked the output to my LCD TV thru the HDMI connection and it looks great. I use the computer for internet, work, photos and music.

About a week ago, I ran into a problem, where the DVD drive disappeared from windows explorer and my other programs. I thought I had a bad DVD and was ready to call Gateway. It turned out to be an incompatible program (Corel Photo) that I had on my XP machine and tried to install on this computer. The program installed and was able to run, but it installed a driver for my DVD that rendered the DVD useless. It took me 6 hours of checking the internet for answers, before I tried a system restore to the time before I installed the program. Then the DVD Drive came back.

Now, I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to Win 8 with the $15 promo.

But other than the above issue, which was not related to the computer itself, I am very happy with the purchase. Worked right out of the box. And only took maybe 15 minutes to remove the pre-installed bloatware. I ran the Speccy program on the machine and the hardware on the computer is as advertised.

UPDATE: May 6, 2013. After 7 months the computer still runs like a charm. I did not upgrade to Win 8 with the $15 Promo and happy I did not. The only issue so far (and it is not a Gateway Issue) is the MS Starter programs (excel and word) that came with the computer. It runs, but then always stops responding after 5-10 minutes. I think it is an issue with MS' click-to-run process or it's MS' way to make me buy the full version. I can not seem to identify the fix or issue, so I now use Libre Office.
on July 27, 2012
Why did I wait so long to move up to Windows7? The nice Amazon sales support assured me that the video card runs two monitors. I powered up the monitors first, and the computer took over from there--perfect result! My previous three computers (starting 1999) were Gateway refurbished. This NEW one was priced even lower! I love the USB3 speed for my two 2+ Terabyte drives--really fast. The wifi worked immediately, but was easy to disable when I plugged in the Ethernet networking cable instead, to double the transmission speed. The many USB ports are a huge plus. The computer design is perfect for all my needs. The bundled software is tactfully available--not in the way, but there to be installed when I want to use it. This is my first "flat" keyboard that is not on a laptop computer. The switch was easy; the typing is faster here.
on February 25, 2013
This computer performs fast for my applications. Only problem with it is that periodically the BIOS time is reset to 1/1/2011 for which it is necessary to correct the time, otherwise it negatively affects of updates, backups and email timestamps. I communicated with a representative from Gateway and while he acknowledged that I most likely have a hardware problem, his solution was to mail my computer in my own card box bubble rap to Texas for repairs and that I should not use the box it came in. Also he said that most likely they would be reformatting the hard drive as well as replacing a component. I did not take them up on their offer as I am concerned about damage to my PC on transport, I would have to pay for the replaced component (the computer was less than 5 months old) and was concerned about the quality of their repair department.

Subsequently I continue to periodically correct the BIOS date. Lesson is that Gateway no longer meets the high standards as when it was an American made product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2012
I researched for the best gaming PC for a good price, and this Desktop delivers. I've not had any problems at all with performance, and it's improved my gaming experience tremendously. Highly recommended by a satisfied customer.
on April 12, 2013
I love everything about this computer. It's small, powerful, and everything runs great! The wireless was iffy at first till it was moved to a better spot in the house and now rarely ever has problems. If it does, I just restart. Had to rid of all the bloatware, but once that was done, it's a little speed machine!

Don't let the specs fool you, the harddrive speed is 5400RPMs, not like the 7200RPMS advertised in some places. That doesn't matter much to me though, this plays games on high settings for me like a charm. No BIOS problems for me yet, but I'll be sure to update if I do.

Update: Since my review, I have had a few bios problems, every few months. But you just reset the date/time and it's fine. The case will also rattle sometimes, but I just touch it and it quiets down, haha. Minor things, I still love this computer. Still works great!

Best $330 I ever spent.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2013
I had this computer for about a month before it died. The motherboard would not boot the hard drive, and upon calling Gateway, I finally got to someone who told me to perform a "power drain" to rid the motherboard of collected static electricity. I didn't have it on carpet or anything. The power drain fixed it, but the next morning, the same problem happened. This computer comes with a BIOS that freezes often, and Gateway's customer support is overseas and not able to help much more than telling you to turn it off and back on. I don't normally write poor reviews, but this fiasco has cost us over $200 to order a new computer and replace all the lost programs. Do not purchase this product.
on September 6, 2012
We needed something fairly simple and easy to set up with enough mememory and space to get the job done without a lot of extras... this PC was a perfect fit! We already had program software so were able to load onto the new one in no time flat. This is the 3rd Gateway PC we have purchased and have been pleased with the products and the service they provide. Plus, the price for this was excellent! Thanks, Amazon for offering free shipping to Prime members (we live in Alaska) and for always being there when we need you!!
on March 2, 2013
Was looking for a low cost, plug and play desktop with Windows 7 to work as a backup and internet downloading. I used Amazon Prime. The computer arrived from Amazon on time and well packed. Was easy to set up and loaded and performed as expected.
on June 14, 2013
First off the software comes preinstalled. I kept looking for software disks. Tis should be in the description. FYI, Best Buy will create recovery disks for you, so you don't need software disks. They give it to you as a plug-in flash drive for around $50.
I thought it seemed like a good computer until it started having white and green spots appear on screen. I have only hooked up for around two days. After some research it appears to be a faulty video card which isn't good for a new computer. Terrible when watching videos. It is also slower than my old computer which is around four years old. Freezes up. Even when inserting disks. Frustrating to say the least. I originally ordered this computer to avoid Windows 8. Gladly I found out you can still order Windows 7 through Dell or HP. Guess I trust them more than some random dealer off Amazon.