5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Media Center
First off, I don't use this PC as a desktop unit, I use it as a media center, so my review is geared towards this particular usage.

I use this PC to hold and run .mkv video files I ripped from my blu-ray and DVD collection. The HDMI out is working perfectly and coupled with 1TB of space, I can throw a lot of video files on this thing.

Currently, I...
Published 15 months ago by Alan R.

1.0 out of 5 stars motherboard failed after two months
motherboard failed after two months
The motherboard failed after 2 months and bought a new computer and used the old mouse and keyboard.
Published 12 months ago by malnaim

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Media Center, August 27, 2013
This review is from: Gateway SX2865-UR15 Desktop (2.8 GHz Intel Pentium G640 Processor, 4GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Windows 8) Black (Personal Computers)

Currently, I have XBMC running movies and shows to my main living room TV and on the backend I have Plex running conversions wirelessly to other TVs and mobile devices.

The XBMC setup is running flawlessly. I have no problems whatsoever - playing 1080P video files like a champ.

The Plex setup is also working wonderfully. This little beast is converting my .mkv files on the fly and serving them to other rooms in the house and over the web to my phone and tablets.

The form factor is fabulous. This PC is so small, I shoved it behind my tv stand and you cannot even tell it's there. It runs silent and doesn't get overheated when being used heavily.

There are also tons of USB ports. I was actually surprised with this. 2 on the front, 6 on the back -- so 8 total.

The only real complaints I have (I knew these going in though, so no loss of stars due to these)
- No internal bluetooth. (I bought a small dongle to supply bluetooth to this PC)
- No internal wifi (I had a spare wifi USB to get wifi)
- Windows 8. I hate windows tiles, personal preference. It just seems like they slapped that on top of the real OS.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who plans on using it as a media center. I wouldn't pay retail price on it though, stalk it for a while and wait for the price to go way down.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, May 15, 2013
Great computer! Windows 8 runs really fast and very smoothly, plus it has a lot of hard drive space! I also love the fact that it comes with the mouse and keyboard already so I didn't have to buy them separately. Totally recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, December 2, 2013
marty (Dallas, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This was an amazing computer for the price. It needs a memory upgrade to 8gb, but after that it does all I need. The small size is convenient as well. My one complaint is the front panel lights, which are a very bright blue, which I found annoying in my bedroom. I upgraded them with a couple pieces of black electricians tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expected a stripped down model, August 10, 2013
I was very impressed. Plenty of ports, an HDMI drive, and all the power and speed that I need. I recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars motherboard failed after two months, November 23, 2013
motherboard failed after two months

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice CPU, November 14, 2013
Sam Morgan (Traverse City, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This is a nice unit and does a good job for us. It is very quick and the price was great through Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars great desktop, September 6, 2013
What I mainly want to express is everyone complaing about Windows 8 start screen. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE IT. It is basically all of your "links" or programs in picture/tile form. To me it just looks pretty and I predominantly use the desktop feature. From there you can do everything you normally do on windows 7. Honestly people, nothing has changed. The start menu is just to show you everything without clicking Start, all programs, search, etc. This tower/desktop is fast, small and sturdy but powerful, and it looks good overall. The mouse and keyboard are sleek and the mouse is somewhat small but overall this is a great deal for a child, student, or just your basic computer needs.

CONS
Does not come with media windows player, but it does come with power dvd or something like that. I prefer windows media because I burn cds alot.

5.0 out of 5 stars very different, July 23, 2013
i had to get used to how different the operating system things are set up but it was not hard. I love the speed, and how easy it is to use. i did add ram so my system is even faster then it could be. LOVE IT.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will only install Windows; can't re-install w/ Linux., September 25, 2013
Michael Gainer (Silicon Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Got this for a Father's day gift; had intended to put in an SSD to boot from and install Linux on it. Install from CD worked, but machine would *not* boot. Gave up and took it to a local store. Owner said he'd get Linux installed, or he wouldn't charge for the labor. He couldn't get it installed either. He said that the BIOS didn't permit booting to anything but Windows. Simpler at that point to return it and buy another, which I did. Seemed like a perfectly OK low-end desktop, but if you're wanting to install anything but Windows, try something other than Gateway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but could be packaged better, August 16, 2013
MJSSXM (Saint Martin, French West Indies) - See all my reviews
Exactly as described and the price was right. I seem to get better life from Gateway desktops so I keep buying them.

When it arrived I gasped at the huge box that was badly crushed. The delivery man assured me it was just the outer packaging. He was right, the Amazon box had a bit too much movement in it so the outside box took some hits. Inside the Gateway box and the Desktop were in perfect condition. It was fulfilled by Amazon, so I would ask them to use more wisdom packaging 18lb items like a desktop without any foam or bubble packing material in future.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›