Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 17, 2013
Using it at home, and on a 3,000 mile roadtrip. Cords long enough to reach even in a large-ish size minivan. Plug into my MacBook Air working fine so far.

Update 26 Jun 2013: Plug into the MacBook Air quit working since 3-4 months ago, no light, no charging going on. At first had to sort of force the plug into the receptacle, but after awhile that seemed to require too much force (afraid of physically damaging the MacBook).

Putting in a claim against their "lifetime" warranty, will update on how they handled my claim.

Further follow-up, 13 Sep 2013: vendor never did reply to my e-mailed request to contact me. Meanwhile, my MacBook Air started to have problems charging even with the Apple-supplied charger. Apple Store found that 1 of the contact pins in the MacBook Air was burned out, they had to replace the whole MagSafe board (the power connector). I looked at this adapter afterwards, found it had 2 pins burned out (even worse than on the MacBook); so my guess is that the poor quality of the connector made it burn not only itself, but also damaged my computer. Hope my experience will help you make an informed decision ...
on February 25, 2011
I forgot to bring my AC power supply on a recent last minute trip. I decided to use 1-day shipping to get a power supply sent to my father-in-law on Saturday (only $3.99, w Amazon Prime) and was reluctant to spend the money for an Apple AC power supply for a day of use and the cheaper third-party AC power supplies had fairly poor ratings. I decided to try this 12V unit to charge the computer on this trip and as something that would be useful in the future.

The unit was at my father-in-law's when we arrived on Saturday. I charged the computer, a 15" Macbook Pro, in the driveway, starting the car every now and then to be sure the battery didn't discharge too much. I also charged it on some short trips in town. This brought the charge from under 20% to around 90%, IIRC, enough for me to use the computer that evening. The next day we headed home. I let my wife drive while I worked on a local copy of a web site that I just took over. Starting at ~30%, the computer was fully charged in 4-5 hours. It stayed charged for the rest of a 10 hour trip.

I have a 12V power supply for a Powerbook G4, with a pre-MagSafe connector, and the Westronics unit is much nicer. It smaller, cooler, has thinner cables, and the green/amber indicator works on the connector, just like a standard power supply.

I had no problems at all and the unit stayed cool. It's not something I'll use often, but it's nice to have it around.

Update (5/2/2011):
We were without power for a little over 4 days after the recent tornadoes, and I used the adapter to keep the laptop and cell phone charged. Eventually I ran a line into the house so I didn't have to leave the computer in the car. I used a heavy duty 3-prong extension cord. It was drawing 1.55 to 2.1 A so the voltage dropped to 8.5 volts inside teh house when teh engine wasn't running, yet it kept charging.

At one point I was running a USB-powered TV tuner and a USB-powered external drive, and this was too much. It started charging again when I took these devices offline.
on December 11, 2010
Let me first state that I don't quite understand why I would need a converter/inverter to make my DC powered Laptop run via my DC wired Car. LOL ( Comment is in jest and rhetorical)

First week's review. (I will try to update at the 1month, 6month, and 1year.)

There are a few solutions out on the market and you can find them via searches outside Amazon. I decided to be the guinea pig on this one because competing solutions seemed complicated, were priced out of my range, and there were no reviews to read for this product. For less than 30 bucks (on sale at time of review and buy), I was willing to risk the possibility of the in-car charger not working properly. I quite surprise that there has not been such a product already.

Let's first note that this unit is not from Apple.

The build quality is up to snuff. A fuse is located in the 12v plug end. Total length of the device is adequate considering you are in the car. Should be enough reach if you are the rear passenger and need power from an outlet at the front of the cab. Though the brick portion would make you think of bulk, the weight of unit is pleasantly very low, I might dare say much less than the AC power adapter from Apple that comes with a MacBook. For the business traveler, this low weight means your main contention is how to pack the unit. My MacBook 2,1 only requires 60W which it give just fine (product description shows 60w/85w interchangeable).

Possible cons: ( for which time will tell)
I wouldn't say the plastic is cheap but it has that feel regarding the 12v end. I really don't have any other major complaints. Some might say it doesn't have the Apple design look but hey, it seems to do the job and I'm sure improvements will come down the line.

My main uses for this product is when I am studying in my car while at school.

Current conclusion: Good product, great price, light weight, convenient. The bad-- bulk, and 12v plug end. Let me expressly note that at this point I believe the cons for the product shouldn't deter one from buying as they are only initial observations on my part. Note that I am giving this full STARS. It lives up to my expectations up to this current review.

Hope this review helps you. I will try to answer any questions in a timely manner. There are many great reviews on Amazon, I wanted to do my part. If there is a concern you wish me to address, fell free to comment.
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2013
Seems to do the job, have had this for about 3 weeks and charged our 2008 Macbook and 2011 Macbook Air in about the same time as the regular AC adapter. Doesn't even get warm if the laptops are asleep. The original Magsafe style plug on the adapter worked fine and plugged right in with the above Macbooks.

Charged a 2012 Retina Macbook Pro with Apple's $10 Magsafe 2 adapter [needed to accommodate the change in the Magsafe port on the new thinner laptop] and it worked fine. We ran the battery down completely and the charger was able to fully charge the 2012 Retina MBP while the laptop was in use browsing the web over wifi. Adapter got warm but not nearly as hot as the wall charger does under the same circumstances. Took about 3.5 hours to recharge while in use, probably because the adapter puts out 18.5v compared to the stock wall adapter for the Retina MBP which puts out 20v. If you were doing something very CPU intensive I'd expect it to take longer, as the laptop wasn't working very hard when I did these tests, running very cool, no CPU fans spinning up etc.

The cord from the cig outlet to the transformer is pretty short, about 18 inches, but the thin cord from the transformer to the Magsafe connector is the exact same length on this adapter as the cord from the transformer to the Magsafe connector on the original Apple power supply. The thin cord to the Magsafe is also actually slightly thicker on this adapter than the stock Apple thin cord, but I can't tell if this is because the wire is thicker or just the cable housing.

Others mentioned the cigarette lighter plug seemed flimsy. I can see why they made that comment as the plastic has a light hollow feel, but in use it seemed perfectly fine, plugging into and coming out of a pretty tight cig port without any trouble. I probably wouldn't leave it anywhere it could get stepped on or crushed, and you wouldn't want to bang on it or yank it, but I'm a big guy and wasn't able to hurt it much in regular use with my hands just plugging and unplugging it.

Since this charger isn't Apple certified I am sure there is some risk of it doing something terrible to the battery, but so far so good. Hopefully since we plan to use the stock wall chargers most of the time and only use this adapter while traveling or camping any badness will be minimized.
on January 18, 2013
We live in the jungle of Papua New Guinea and are entirely dependent upon 12 volt solar power. Rather than converting our power to 110 volts with an inverter, and then back down to 19 volts with the computer's power supply, we use the Gator Crunch to go straight from 12v to 19v. We sometimes use it for hours at a time to keep the Macbook charged as we use it. Our teammates have also purchased them and we are all satisfied with their performance.
on August 2, 2011
I've been using this car charger for my Macbook Pro for about 5 months now and so far I haven't had any issues with it. It works and charges my Mac while in my car. The only issue that I have is that the connector going to the car power outlet is flimsy and sometimes does not connect very well. There were times when I did not notice that it was not connected properly and was not charging my Mac. I had to pull out the connector and try to rotate the connector a bit until I get a good power connection.
on December 26, 2010
I bought this for a long road trip to keep our Macbook Pro charged and playing Disney/Pixar vids for the kids the whole 1700 miles.
Works well, no issues at all.

This product DOES put out enough wattage to CHARGE the battery (some others on Amazon only maintain your current charge level).

Keep checking that the light is lit on the box and on the tip that connects to the Macbook (and keep checking your youngest son hasn't kicked it out :)
on May 21, 2014
The big flaw in this charger is that cigarette lighter plug is completely inadequate, and will not hold up to charging a depleted Macbook Pro near the 85w limit very many times before it blows the fuse and/or melts. In plain speak, this is cheap Chinese bootleg gadget is made of parts that don't fit together. That's not necessarily bad though, because Apple doesn't make an equivalent charger, and if they did it, would cost about 4x as much.

I bought one of these about 2 years ago. The fuse in the plug blew after a couple of days on the road. I took the plug apart and the inside wiring and the fuse were clearly too flimsy for the load. However, I needed power now, so I bypassed the fuse with a bit of wire, which caused the plug to melt in minutes. I bought a 12v extension cord at a truck stop. It had a decent, heavier plug, no internal fuse, and 18 gauge wire, I grafted it on in place of the useless plug, and it worked fine for almost 2 years after that - heavy everyday use on 12v only power. The magsafe plug finally became loose and crooked inside at that point. Not bad life for the price.

If you are willing and able to buy or scavenge a decent 12v cigarette plug and graft it on, it's actually not a bad deal. Even if you have to buy an extension cord to get the plug, it is still lots cheaper than what Apple would make if there were an official version of this charger, which, insanely, they don't.
on December 17, 2012
This is better than I expected. I really couldn't imagine it being any better built in fact.

The magsafe cord is almost 6' long, the cord from the brick to the auto adapter is another 2.5'.

It charges the battery on my 2011 MBP, but I've only had it a day so I can't speak to long term durablity. The magsafe cord seems to be the thicker better reinforced kind of cord.
on April 4, 2013
I'm so happy with this new generation model! I had one like the old model of the product, the one with a big rectangle AC/DC in the middle. It worked fine but was cumbersome, and not "apple". Received this new gen last week, very stylish like Apple designed it (I wonder why Apple hasn't yet). Traveled long distance in my SUV with friends this Easter weekend and they used it for a MacBook Air from the back seat, and the length of the cord could reach anywhere in the sitting area. On our way back it took about an hour and half to charge the book from almost empty to full, and we had iTunes on all the time! Will upload a picture to show the difference from the old model. No problem using it in the entire trip. A must-have for MacBook travelers.

See 1 answered question