Top positive review
14 people found this helpful
How To Improve Zipper Life
on July 30, 2013
I purchased this at the same retail store where bought the MacBook Pro, and used it for a class. This review is based upon about six months usage, although not always daily.
- Seems to be cool styling. People do comment about it.
- More protection than most competing laptop cases.
- Very compact!
- VERY SNUG fit for a MacBook Pro. The corners are tight, which implies less protection in a drop if the corners hit first, especially at the top.
- I cannot imagine using the MacBook in the case.
- Inadequate storage capacity for my needs. I carry the laptop power supply, an Apple corded mouse, a book (Objective-C Programming by Kochan, if you must know), a couple of pens and some paper. I think the designers thought you would use an iPad or Kindle to read books. At any rate, you are forced to travel light.
- Overall snugness puts more strain on the zippers than most other cases do. A short lifetime is the likely result.
To prolong zipper life, there are a couple of habits one can develop. First, don't overpack. This reduces the continual strain on the zipper.
Second, reduce the strain in on the zipper by squeezing the corners as the zipper rounds them. This controls the strain at the most stressful point. I think it is also the most likely spot for the teeth to get jammed.
If you carry items besides the MacBook as a part of your regular life, you may be best served by getting a good laptop sleeve and sticking with a backpack or attaché. YMMV.
In some ways, this case is like a 2-wheel drive SUV...looks rugged, but needs babying in tough situations.
So...four stars...it's OK if you realize its limitations before buying.