Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 18, 2013
In general, the book is cute, but I do not recommend it if you want to truly teach about Easter. Let me explain why.

I like how it started by explaining there is more to Easter than the Easter bunny, but then I felt it jumped around topically. The author discussed how things need to die in order to bring new life and how you have to let go of things in order to receive something greater. Then she briefly discusses the sinfulness of people at the flood and after. There is a simplistic mention of Jesus providing the need of forgiveness. She ends with Jesus speaking to your heart.

I think the story does not progress in a logical order. Papa Bear mentioned that God had a plan for Easter from the beginning, but the hopping back and forth does not show it. I think younger ones might miss the meaning of Easter in the midst of discussions of the "root of Jesse" and the river running to the sea. I also have an issue of animals dealing with theology, but that is a topic for another post.

Or is it? You see, I had my 8 year old read the book.

It is recommended for ages 3-8, so she is on the high end. She thought the book was "okay". She liked that the book dealt with Easter, but in her words, "Why polar bears? Animals don't need salvation." Then she lapsed into how fun it would be to talk to the animals, but I (and she) digress.

The polar bear family is a cute family,however...for a family of polar bears that is. The illustrations are really nice.

So, here are my final thoughts. If you want a book to teach or reinforce what you have taught your child about Easter, this one is not it. If you just want a book to deal with Easter as a way of keeping some focus on the real reason for the season, this book would be a cute one to have.
44 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2013
God Gave Us Easter is the newest member of the God Gave Us series by Lisa Tawn Bergren.

I have encouraged you to add some of the books in this series to your library in past reviews because I believe some books in the series do an excellent job of explaining some hard concepts to children. Because of this, I was excited to read the newest book, God Gave Us Easter.

For the first couple of pages, I was excited. To the surprise of Little Bear, Papa Bear explains that Easter is more important than Christmas. Little Bear learns that "on Easter, we remember we get to be with [Jesus] forever. ...Forever? Forever. That's why God gave us Easter."

Great start!

Unfortunately from that point on, I found this book very jumpy and the progression of topics lacking flow. At times I felt each page turn was a new chapter instead of an extension of the book. The author jumped from the symbolism of roots, to new birth, to a river, to Noah and the flood, to listening to the Holy Spirit. Hard to predict and follow.

In an Easter story I would expect to hear about Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection. Surprisingly this book doesn't focus on the typical Easter events. Unless I missed it, the cross is never mentioned.

According to Amazon, this book is geared toward ages 3-8. My "littles" lost interest very quickly.

Disappointing addition to a good series.

Thank you to Waterbrook Publishing for allowing me to review this book.
on March 13, 2013
"...Even death couldn't trap God's Son. He is life itself. And God loved us so much, he wanted us to be with him always. We can see signs of his Easter plan all around us."
-excerpt from God Gave Us Easter

A love of reading began early on in my life. My mother cultivated it in me from a very early age. Now, as a mom myself, I hope to do that for my children as well. In choosing literature for my children, I always want to choose quality literature, words that will add to the life of my children. I am so thankful for people who write and have a passion to communicate God's truth to children. God Gave Us Easter is an example of the type of literature I am looking for.

As part of a God Gave Us series, God Gave Us Easter is a story of how a papa polar bear teaches his young daughter about God and His greatest gift to us, Jesus. The story goes through teaching in the Bible about how Jesus is the answer of redemption for mankind. Bergren also uses examples found in nature of how death can produce life.

There are a lot of things I like about this book. The author doesn't bash the Easter bunny or eggs, symbols often associated with Easter, but explains how they can demonstrate the love of God in His gift of Jesus. She says, "Just like the shell cracks open and a chick comes out, we remember that Jesus was in a tomb...but he didn't stay dead." There is also teaching in the book about Jesus being from the root of Jesse. This is something I was unfamiliar with, and had never seen in a children's book, so I learned something too! (See Isaiah 11 and Romans 15.) I also really liked the author's explanation of how Jesus speaks to our hearts, and that even a small child can be sensitive to His voice.

I recommend this book to parents of preschool and early elementary age children. It would be a nice addition to Bible curriculum if you homeschool. If you as a parent are unsure how to communicate Biblical truths to your children, this book would help as well.

Many blessings to you as you celebrate the resurrection of Jesus this year and remember why God Gave Us Easter!

~Beth

Disclosure Statement: I received this book free of charge as part of a free books for bloggers program from Waterbrook Multnomah. I was not required to give a favorable review. The thoughts and opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
on March 15, 2013
This is my third book by Ms. Bergren, and it did not disappoint. Through a family of polar bears, she gives us the story of Easter. She explains each of the secular parts of celebrating the holiday, and how it relates to the real meaning of the holiday - the resurrection of Christ and why that happened.Her illustrations are as lovely as they have been in her other books, and the polar bear parents explain love with great gentleness to their child.

I would recommend this book as well as God Gave Us Christmas, and God Gave Us You, for every family who wants to offer Christ based answers to very small children, using language that they will understand.
on March 7, 2015
Very disappointed. I have loved her books and just knew I'd love this one too... unfortunately I did not. Although everything the the book is "biblically true", she runs all around in circles and is really confusing. After reading the entire thing, I didn't feel like my daughter would have a clue what it was saying. I lend it to my mother to read to see if maybe I were being unreasonable.. but she felt the same.
In conclusion, It's way too advanced for a child and doesn't really explain easter at all. The author tried to touch way too many subjects in one little book. I had planned on putting this in my daughter's easter basket, instead, I will be tossing it in the top of her closet and finding a book better suited for her.
on March 10, 2013
Easter is right around the corner. Kids everywhere are excited about the Easter bunny, candy and new clothes. But Lisa T Bergren is ready with a new release in the God Gave Us series to help us remind our kids that God Gave Us Easter and without Jesus we would have no reason to celebrate the Easter Season. As always, I love the illustrations and the sweetness of Little Cub as she ask questions and learns about the seasons.

God Gave Us Easter is a hardback book that is sure to become another classic in many families home libraries. Little Cub is asking questions and trying to understand the meaning of Easter. The story takes you through a full circle of information.

I loved how Papa Bear describes the resurrection by looking at an egg that cracks open and out comes a chick. But personally I felt that it was a bit disjointed in the middle section. The book takes you back to the beginning where Jesus comes from "the root of Jesse", talks about pine cones giving new life, how the rivers run to the ocean, discusses the story of Noah's flood and then finally to how much Jesus loves you. All the information was valuable but I didn't think it flowed together in a way that my kids stayed connected to the story of how God gave us Easter.

I am a fan of the God Gave Us series from Lisa Tawn Bergren, but unfortunately this book doesn't measure up to what I was hoping for. The other books in the series are favorites in our home and we love pulling out the other books like God Gave Us Christmas and reading them together.

I received a copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.
on April 5, 2016
I bought this book for my kids this Easter based on reviews of other moms. I was not disappointed. This book is super sweet and tells the real meaning of Easter in a way kids understand. Would recommend it to anyone.
on April 14, 2015
A great Easter book. Explains the story well without details not yet acceptable for small children. A polar bear uses nature to explain God redeeming His children. My 2 year old listened to the entire story and enjoyed it, though the concept is still a bit over her head.
on July 28, 2015
This is one of the most amazing pieces of literature I've ever come across. It's so simple yet so truthful; there were parts (my pastor can tell you) that can make an adult want to weep. Touches your heart. If you need a book for your next class Resurrection celebration or just to read to your children, I highly recommend it :)
on April 19, 2014
I really love the gentle approach to this story and the relationship of the Papa bear to his little one is so endearing you can't help but love this The message of Christ's redemption is clear enough, not to sappy and age appropriate. I recommend this to everyone's collection!!