1,060
Gazelle Edge
Price:$129.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

2,112 of 2,136 people found the following review helpful
Verified Purchase
After trying out about a dozen different elliptical exercisers in sporting stores, I eventually bought the Gazelle Edge. It is a great little excercise machine but does have some short comings.

I opted for this one because:

1. PRICE: After trying out the ellipticals it became very clear that cheap ellipticals are incredibly uncomfortable to use. The motion on machines under $750 was either jerky or the short stride lead to the machine feeling more like a stepper than an elliptical. Many of the low line models were not all that stable. Of the mid-range steppers, I almost bought the Horizons E70 on sale for about $550 (marked down from the mid-$700s). This machine lacked a lot of options but did have the most natural motion I could find in a stepper in this range. Nevertheless, the motion on the Gazelle (they had the souped up Freestyle with thumb-pulse) was at least as good. The price on the Freestyle is about $200 on Amazon.com and the basic model is less than $100

2. REVIEWS: Canvassing the internet, the Gazelle had a high satisfaction rates on a number of websites, including Amazon reviews. The low to mid-range ellipticals appeared to have poor reliability ratings and most reviews showed low satisfaction.

3. BASIC MACHINE: It appeared to be a basic no-frills machine. If I was going to buy something at a low price range with few options, this one was as good as any other and far cheaper. It is also more light-weight and portable than any of the ellipticals I tried.

After purchasing, I feel like I've hit the jackpot. The machine was easy to assemble, given its simple mechanism and few working parts. It offers a reasonable, comfortable workout and is remarkably stable. It also folds down flat for storage and weighs only about 40 lbs. It also requires little room to use. The manual recommends 3 feet in front and behind the machine, but 2 ? seemed to suffice for me. So far my machine is remarkably smooth and silent. There have been reports of squeaking, but I have not experienced this. The manual suggests lubing the machine with vasoline if this occurs... Despite the fact that Tony Little makes annoying infomercials, I think he has a winner in this machine.

Nevertheless, it is important to realize that the machine has certain limitations:

1. This is NOT a $1,500 Nordic Track Elliptical. It doesn't have the programs, options, and fluid movement of a high-line elliptical trainer. If you want such a model, you will have to spend the money to buy one. That being said, this machine will not approach the smoothness/comfort of the expensive ellipticals and is really not comparable.

2. This is NOT an elliptical trainer. The motion is different, pleasant though it may be.

3. The machine has NO built-in training programs. You have to either buy Tony Little's exercise tapes or make up a program as you go along. I did not opt to buy these, so I can't comment on them. There are purportedly 7 different exercises that you can do on the Gazelle, but in reality there are only three that I can discern: You can `Gazelle in the neutral position, leaning back, or leaning forward. The other `exercises' involve different grip heights, letting go/swinging your arms at your sides, bending your knees for a lower/longer stride, and `gazelling' on your toes. The latter variations don't really count for me as different exercises, but that's only my opinion.

4. The basic machine has NO resistance adjustment. The `Freestyle' and `Pro' models appear to have hydraulic resistance that is adjustable to three levels. Having tried the Freestyle in the store, the hydraulic pistons did add resistance but seemed to make the motion a little less natural for me. Additionally, there was no way to adjust these while exercising. One would have to stop. Get off the machine. Adjust the resistance and resume exercising. Lower line ellipticals can be adjusted while exercising, the Gazelle cannot. Despite the lack of resistance, you can still get a good beginner to intermediate workout on this machine. It is certainly good for people just beginning a fitness program. I alternate aerobic and exercise training for 30 to 40 minutes, 6 days a week and have been doing so for over two years. I would consider myself to be an intermediate to advanced level and was able to raise my heart rate to the target range on this machine.

5. It has an INADEQUATE fitness computer. The fitness computer tell you your speed, how far you have `travelled', the number of calories burned, and the time on the machine. Being a skeptic, I think the only reliable feature would be the time and possibly `distance'. I'm not knocking the company. Knowing how much time you have spent on the device is my most important issue. I could imagine using the `distance' counter as a measure of when to stop the workout. I just don't know exactly what `speed' means or howe exactly it calculates `distance' traveled or how the device calculates the number of calories when it doesn't know your weight or the exact amount of applied resistance.

Having demoed the Freestyle, I don't think that the hydraulic pistons are worth the extra $100+ for the inexperienced Gazeller. (After a few months, I might change my mind about this but I don't think so.) You can also buy a number of other models which appear to have more heavy-duty tubing and extra's like water bottle holders. For my purposes, the basic machine appears to be just right. I wasn't about to plunk down more money for a cupholder or an advanced computer. The thumb pulse feature might be helpful to see if you achieve your target heart rate, but you can buy an inexpensive wrist monitor separately and use it when walking, jogging, or when you are one other equipment.

To my mind, the way to make this machine better would be to add a magnetic (or even friction) resistance feature that could be adjusted during exercise. It could be made even better by adding fitness programs that could adjust the resistance for you.

6. Despite the title 'Fitness System' the Gazelle is NOT a complete workout. This is aerobic exercise only and most professionals recommend some weight training to supplement aerobic exercise to maximize weight loss. Tony Little implies on his infomercial that the Gazelle incorporates strength training as well as aerobic training. Unless he is doing something different than is described in the manual, this is really only aerobic training.

I don't think there is a better machine at this price. The midrange ellipticals were very uncomfortable to ride and appear to have a lot of mechanical problems. I would strongly recommend actually trying out the machines in a store before you buy on line. The only way to know if a machine is comfortable is to actually try it.

If you are a more advanced exerciser, you might want to opt to invest in the bigger/expensive machines of the type that are used in gyms or by physical therapists. But if you are like me and want just a basic machine at a bargain price, this could be the one for you.
8181 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 22, 2009
Verified Purchase
Like everyone else, I was disappointed at the lack of resistance so I simply added a couple of bungee cords to the handles--you can slide them up for less resistance or down for more. SEE CUSTOMER IMAGE for a picture.
review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2005
I absolutely love this glider! And for the price you cant beat it.

It arrived practicalyy assembled, you only need to add the handle bars at the top and the on board computer. Which is optional and I choose to not use so I dont focus on "calories" burned but by my own exhaustion and muscle burn. But that's just me.

At first it was very different to use, a smooth fluid motion. But balance was found quickly and then the fun began. This is unlike walking or running, there is no impact and you get more or a back leg and butt workout. You can choose to use your hands in a low, medium or high grip with different results for your upper body and difficulty of workout. You can also choose to rest your hands to the sides for the easiest of workouts or move them along the sides as you would during a jog for more difficulty.

This was surprisingly more difficult than I imagined. I worked up quite a sweat in only 30 minutes and I work out regularly with a recumbant bike and weights so Im in pretty good shape.

This does fold up so you can slide it under a bed or standing in a larger closet.

If your looking for a fun, different type of workout I would highly reccomend this machine.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 30, 2006
I hate exercise, but I'm 52 years old and tired of lectures from my doctor about "getting daily exercise". A friend of mine bought one of these and I tried it and liked it. I promptly gave my exercise bicycle away and bought a Gazelle Edge.
Pro's:
* It's sturdy.
* It doesn't weigh a ton (46 lbs to be exact).
* It's whisper quiet - you can watch TV or listen to the stereo
at normal levels -or- exercise while the baby's sleeping (if
you have one!) :-)
* It's comfortable (but don't use it with bare feet lest you risk
blisters on the bottom of your feet (been there done that).
* It folds flat

Cons:
* It folds flat BUT the pedals "flop" around on the tether cable
making it awkward to move around. A couple of velcro straps
can fix the problem (hmmmm... I wonder why Tony Little hasn't
thought of that...?).

If you don't like exercising, but must (and we all must...) this is the machine for you. If you don't like the Gazelle then you might as well get back on the couch and forget about exercise all together. The Gazelle will give you the exercise you need, and if you eat right, along with using the Gazelle, you'll lose weight too! Does it stand the test of time? It did for me. My weight bench became a storage rack and my exercise bike became a clothes rack. The Gazelle seems to remain true to its intended purpose in my house.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I took the gamble (aren't all infomercial products a gamble?) and the following are my results and impressions:

Packaging/Shipping: From time of order (over the internet), it took a little over a week to receive the Gazelle, which came in a damaged box with a deep slice (hole) right where the shipping label was located. Opening the box brought to light that the equipment itself was left unharmed (except for a couple of minor abrasions and a tiny gouge). I received the workout DVDs (three of them for an extra $30) two "shipping" days later.

Assembly: The instructions are adequate and assembly was straightforward, plus this unit is partial assembled to begin with. Although they provided a wrench (actually, they provided two same-size wrenches and extra hardware if needed) to finish assembling the unit, I'd recommend that you use a socket wrench. I was in no particular hurry and was looking over the exercise booklet while putting the Gazelle together, so it took me perhaps an hour and a half. I suspect most could assemble the Edge in less than 45 minutes.

Design: I was surprised how solid this design was for $99. The steel tubing is 1 1/2 inches in diameter and looks and feels very sturdy (on carpet -- not sure how it would feel on tile) even for a 210 pound guy like myself (maximum allowable load is rated at 250 pounds). Although it isn't what I would call light, one can fold the unit up for storage without much effort (snap the foot platforms onto the swing arms before sliding the frames together). The axle tube was well lubricated and I have no squeaks in that area at present. However, about two weeks into using this machine, it suddenly became noisy. The noise was more of a sandy, grinding sound and seemed to come from cable holders located at the foot platforms. I lubricated the cable and the bolts at both cable housings at the bottom (as well as the two at the top) with the recommended DW-40. The noise disappeared almost immediately. I suspect this may be a fairly constant maintenance practice (although I haven't had to repeat it), but it's easy and simple to perform. If the axle tube assembly begins to squeak, it won't be nearly as easy nor as convenient to take care of because one has to disassemble that part along with the two corner covers to add the lubricant (a clear household grease such as petroleum jelly is recommended). This is not a task I want to mess with more than once a year.

Use: There is fairly good documentation, even on how to mount and dismount the machine, and I suggest everyone read the documentation carefully before using. There is no need to fall if one takes their time and follows directions. Take a week or two and get use to the unit before going on to the recommended workout programs outlined in the booklet. I found it easy and safe to mount and dismount, and surprise, surprise, it works as advertised. The Edge is a beginner's unit (no pistons or heart monitor), but that's why I purchased it -- I'm a beginner, retired, overweight, out of shape, and have back problems (age can be a b*tch).

Simply put, it's up to the individual to exercise. If you do not commit to it, no exercise machine/program will work. Fortunately, the Gazelle is fun to use, so that may help. There are several different Gazelles and prices range from $99 (for the non-piston Edge reviewed here) all the way up to their newest "super-duper" unit at over $500. It's up to you, your level of fitness, and your pocketbook on which machine is best for you.

Extras: It comes with a battery-operated (two AAA batteries included) "computer" to register speed, distance, time, and estimated calories burnt (I have doubts about its accuracy). Even though it may, or may not be accurate (who knows?), it's pretty good to have in order to regiment or time your workouts.

The Bottom Line: Again, it's up to the individual on how well this unit performs and whether or not you are going to use it regularly and gain any benefit. For me (and those who are out of shape and want a decent cardiovascular workout), I'm pleasantly surprised with this product, it was shipped for free, it's been fun to use (a key factor in my opinion), and it probably holds the most value per buck in the Gazelle lineup. However, once a person gets into better shape, a different type of machine may be in order. Between 1 and 10, I rate the Edge a marginal 7 (as long as the axle tube assembly holds it lubricant for a decent amount of time).
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2005
i'm usually on the elliptical at the gym 3-4 times a week. i bought the gazelle for days i can't get to the gym. the infomercials made this machine to be top notch, but i have a few person comments about it:

1. it's not a great cardio machine. i use it for 40 minutes each segment and only end up with 2 drops of sweat on my face. i think i sweat more doing sit-ups, so this really doesn't get the heart pumping.

2.it has no resistance. unlike the ellipticals at the gym, you can't adjust the resistance. it's fixed on one setting, and it takes next to no effort to glide. this is a huge reason why i don't break a sweat.

3. if you lean forward and backward on it, you get a mini arm workout. however, you have to really lean in or tilt back to feel something. for this, i like how this machine can work your upper body at the same time.

4. in all fairness, this machine is able to stretch some muscles that ellipticals at the gym can't. i feel slight soreness at the backs of my legs the day after.

bottom line: if all you want is something to get your body moving while watching tv, the gazelle is good for that. however, don't expect to get much of a cardio workout. if i had to do it all over, i'd invest the money on somthing that has resistance.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2005
If everyone in America would start using the gazelle while watching their favorite TV show instead of sitting on the couch eating junk, the obesity problem would surely disappear!!! I admit to being a little more sedentary than I should have been, so decided to try this since its very affordable, compact, and there are tons of good reviews for it all over the internet. I was NOT DISAPPOINTED!!! Thinking about getting a little more movement into your life? BUY A GAZELLE! It is easy to use and if you make yourself do it (which isn't that hard, since its actually kind of fun!) you WILL notice the difference. You will feel better, physically and mentally. As for the squeaks I see complaints about, I haven't had many, but have used a little lube on it when it happens and then it goes away. I really appreaciate that FitnessQuest has made this so affordable, since some of us can't afford the money or time for a fancy gym membership! The gazelle is an easy and fun way to get exercise (especially if you live somewhere where its snowing, freezing, or raining 6 months a year like me). Plus, if you get into your favorite TV show (mine is Alias) you won't even notice the time going by and next thing you know you've been on it 45 minutes! I wouldn't recommend starting out that long though, the first month or so 20 minutes made me sore... but you do get built up to it. Buy one, you will not regret it and you will feel better! (If you're still not sure, go try one out at the local Sears and see how easy it is, that's what I did!)
on April 10, 2009
I did a lot of research before I bought my next piece of exercise equipment, the rest are in my storage room collecting dust from boredum or just not being satisfied.

#1. First I must address the SQUEAKING issue. I read online when you first assemble the unit, put Car grease inside the tubes that the AXLE rod goes through, trust me, do this now as you assemble and you won't have squeak problems, the Axle rod comes with a thin coating of oil and will quickly wear off, car grease is heavy duty and will do the job!

Ok the machine, its like walking on air! Much better than walking in place or using a personal trampaline.

#2. Many have said this machine gives you NO or Zero resistance and after you got better in shape that you quickly out grow the Edge.
Here's a VERY Easy way to fix that.
A. Wlamrt and other stores sell Weights that go on to bar bells and dumb bells. The Gold's Gym brand of weights have a larger hole in the center. BUY those! Start off with two 5 lbs weights and slide them through the hand grip poles and let them rest on the machine bar (same bar that has the digital counter).
This will give you resistance, you can add more weights, I don't say getting more and put on top of each other, but go buy the 10 lb's weights.
B. Another option is to take those Adjustable Wrist bands (2 and 5 lbs...leg bands as high as 10 lbs) and wrap those around the bottom legs of the machine in the front. They will give you outstanding resistance as well.
Problem Solved !
C. This one is my personal favorite way to ADD RESISTANCE. Add 5 or 10 lb dumb-bells to the legs. You can clamp them on with simple automotive clamps, the dumb-bells will fit on super tight, no movement, no noise at all! You will deff feel the added weight in the legs of the Gazelle!

You have a wide range of motion, you can put more force on your upper arms, grabbing up and down for a upper body workout, you can go fast, go slow, watch tv at a slow pace and get lost in a movie while getting your body moving!

I am that does almost Nothing for exercise, I walk my Dog but big whoop, I slow walk.

I get very bored with exercising, I wanted something that seems fun, easy to do and gets my whole body working, this does that! I have previously bought a exercise bike, weight bench and weights, an Eliptyical, row machine and a bike that doesnt move the arms, I have them all sitting collecting dust, this machine I can use, and feel it working my body.

It also has a digital counter that shows distance, calories burnt, time on the unit and your current Speed.

I must say also, the unit is made of good strong metal tubing, very well constructed, exspecially for a $100 dollar piece of equipment.

If you already in good to great shape, this unit will not be for you, you'll probably feel like your just bobbing in water rather than swiming (to use an analogy).

For those like me, a couch potato, a lazy bum, arm chair quarterback, good for nothing sleepyhead...this is excerise machine is great!
on December 21, 2005
This baby is the best! I simply get on it and move! After 30 minutes Im done watching TIVO...and I did my deed for the day!/..Very low impact with awesome results!! I am not an exercise person at all. I always got so bored. This I simple unfold very easily and get on it. Ive lost 20 lbs using this in 6 weeks! Another 20 to go!

If you are looking for a great way to shed some lbs and get healthy.This is for you! I love mine and I have never stuck to any exercise regime at all! I wish I had the money back Ive spent on equipment ,in the past, that has turn in to very expensive clothes racks!!
on August 7, 2006
The only reason I do not give five stars is because it is not silent but it is pretty quiet and for under $100 it's one of the decade's best bargains. First let me say that I am a 53 year old female and in fairly good shape. My main exercise is walking - I walk five miles at least four times a week (also use my bike to run errands and shop). I wanted something to do on my no-walk days that would work different muscles. The Gazelle is fun and not difficult or unpleasant so of course I'm thinking "this can't be doing any good". No Pain No Gain right? But walking doesn't hurt and is enjoyable too and it does plenty of good so why can't the Gazelle be fun and still effective? I do 30 - 40 minutes on the Gazelle about three times a week, sometimes to a TV program and sometimes to music. When working out to music the Gazelle is exceptionally accomodating in that you can adjust your pace and stride to match ANY tempo. You can really go at it on this thing or you can take it easy. I like being able to alter the intensity. The fact that it is pleasant and enjoyable is more important than you might think - the more fun it is the more apt you are to use it and I don't care how expensive or "efficient" a piece of equipment is if you don't enjoy using it eventually YOU WON'T and how much good will it do then? The Gazelle will be your buddy, not the enemy sitting there waiting to punish you. I have rigged mine up with padded cotton on the foot platforms and cotton socks pulled over the handles so that I can just get on barefoot with no preparation whatsoever and go. All I'm in contact with is cotton which feels really good when you heat up. Hands up high on the handles and you are getting a good upper body workout, hands in the middle section and you are sharing the load between upper and lower body, hands low down and your legs are doing most of the work. As fun and easy as it is when I get off my legs are wobbly so I know for certain that I have been exerting myself. You can work out in many ways like others have said in their reviews - twisting, leaning forward or back, bending you knees, up on your toes, etc. I didn't get a video but lively music will spur you to move in new and creative ways if you get into it. It's like dancing! I did not bother with the electronic read-out thing - it looks pretty useless to me. The clicks and squeaks (and yes I made sure all connections were tight) are not that bad, you can still easily watch TV or listen to music. I have my TV watching/CD playing device right smack in front of my face when I am on the Gazelle, as close as it can be considering the forward swing of the pedals. The whole thing is a simple system of frame and swinging foot platforms suspended by cables - NO PISTONS TO HEAT UP AND LEAK. If there are animals in your house that don't have enough sense to stay away from the Gazelle when you are using it (you know the type) you will want to put your Gazelle in a room or area that can be closed off. Frame tubing is fat and comes in a nice looking silvery gray finish. It's not what would be considered compact so you will need plenty of floor space - at least 34" wide and 74" long to allow for full swing. One reviewer mentioned clips that would hold the foot platforms against the tubing when folding the Gazelle but I have yet to find those on mine, maybe I have a different model. Personally I am really glad that I do not have to fold and store mine, it's heavy and big and I'm certain I'd never use it if I had to go through that much trouble. I highly recommend the Gazelle for people who have the space to keep it up and the time to use it for at least 30 minutes several times a week. I had knee pain from a step machine but I do not have knee pain from the Gazelle.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...