Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: Video GameChange

on October 27, 2008
Gears of War shouldn't be a stranger to any gamer's ears at this point. It's won an absolute truckload of awards and is far and away one of the best shooters available today. It's really a game that should not be missed.

Enter the 2-Disc edition, which with it's reduced price and bonus content is perfect for those that didn't get to jump on board the first time around. A lot of this content is available to download from Xbox LIVE, however as a new purchase its nice to receive all the maps and such already in the box. Also you'll get the exclusive "Emergence Day" gamer themes and pics that were only available at a limited time during the launch in 2006.

If you're already a Gears owner, then this is not the package for you, but as someone looking to get in on the action before the fall of Gears of War 2, this is a great package at an awesome value.
on July 17, 2008
As is obvious from all its acclaim, Gears is an excellent game.

All of the bonus content is free online and on xbox live. For those with high-speed internet, I don't think it is worth getting the 2-disc edition.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2009
Very cool game, charged with lot of action and good story, this title has to be part of your game collection!

And also get the second part!
on October 30, 2010
This is perhaps THE MOST polished third-person shooter I've played since Resident Evil 4. Its cover-combat system is highly influential in its genre and its influence can be felt in more recent efforts such as Mass Effect 2 and GTA IV. The game knows not to bore us with plot and introduces us to a variety of hilarious macho characters. The action is intense and non-stop. The night-time levels are superbly atmospheric. I can see why this franchise is so popular!
on March 11, 2010
Great game, and great deal getting the bonus material. Probably the best part for me was the fact that I had gotten and played Gears of War 2 first, so going back and learning the story from the first was good. I recomend that people who want the game get this cause the bonus maps 'n' stuff are better off a disc then getting off Live XD
on June 24, 2010
In a nutshell, gears of war is a great game. The story is very interesting and original and it's easy to follow if you pay attention during the game and in the cutscenes. The single player experience is fantastic. The weapons are diverse and unique, especially the Torque Bow. The bow is basically a metal bow and arrow thatn shoots explosive arrows that can stick to targets if they are charged long enough. The chainsaw is awesome, there is nothing more gratifying than seeing your enemy lying in pieces moments after you jacked him up with that chainsaw. The curbstomp move is also cool, but it's gears 2 that really delivers the superior execution display. The cover system is a great idea, and they made it work pretty well, but the huge flaw is that the A button that they use for cover is used for way too many other things as well. I always find myself with almost no health left about to die and a try to save myself by hiding behind a wall, but I roll by accident, since it also uses the A button which costs me my life and I end up in pieces torn apart by a machine gun. This is very frustrating, but the idea is great, so you have to give Epic some credit for that. The checkpoint system is satisfactory in this game and they are frequent enough. The final point I want to make about this is my opinion and I am going to try to be respectful, like I failed to do in my Wii review. The multiplayer in gears 1 is terrible. It is extremely repetetive and always just ends up as a shotgun duel. It's the only gun people ever use in multiplayer and it's really annoying. Also, you don't respawn until the next round in pretty much every mode, so if you get a really cheap death (like a quick and last minute shotgun to your stomach) you have to spend the next 5 minutes doing nothing. It's nice that this edition comes with the map packs though, that certainly allows you to save a couple of bucks. Overall, this is a great game. It's a fantastic game to purchase if you do not have Xbox LIVE. I enjoy gears 1 as a single player package only, but it is a fantastic game.
on January 28, 2009
Being as the game reviews as well as gameplay for Gears of War 2 had drawn my attention I decided that if I was going to get it I was going to get the original first even thought I heard the story wasn't very well thought out. With that let's have that be my first point, I agree with most who say the story isn't very well thought out, the story just kind of starts mid way though and your left wondering what happend during that very opening cut scene where Dom springs Marcus, and after that it doesn't go down hill but it will defiantly leave you with questions as to what is going on. I played through the game several times on each difficulty so after awhile I started to pick up what I had missed earlier but still if you need to play the game 3 times to get the full story that doesn't change from difficulty to difficulty then I can see why people were annoyed. Moving onto the actual gameplay it's self it is quiet fun if you are into blood and guts, what with the being able to chain saw an enemy in half and all, not to mention the blood splater that hits your screen from time to time when shooting an enemy in close quarter combat. Speaking of close quarter combat I would like to bring up that the selection of weapons in this game is rather limited compared to Gears 2 but that usually is the case with the first game of a series. Lastly the second disk content isn't anything special, you get an Xbox theme, gamer picture and 2 map packs which are now free from Xbox live, I think the only thing you can't get for free from live is the gamer picture, being it is special to this edition but hey, compared to the regular editions price it's not a bad buy. I think that is it for all I wanted to cover for I could go on and on about this game but for a review I think those are the deciding aspects on to whether the person reading it will buy the game or no. I hope this review has helped you make a decision on the game be it good or bad.
on August 14, 2010
Campaign review: GoW is a nice change of pace from Halo 3 in that you're fighting a losing battle in GoW and the fighting is more "gritty." For whatever reason, GoW seems like more of a challenge to me than Halo 3.
on May 24, 2009
Gears of War emmerses you in a war between the COG ( Coalition of Ordered Governments) and the Locust Horde, a subtarrainian race that invades Sera on E Day. The campaign has beautiful visuals and gameplay. Marcus Fenix is a perfect hero who has been wronged by the very force he's fighting for. The online gameplay is smooth and VERY competitive. The third person view is beautiful. I have fallen in love with third person games. It is a must own and one of my all time favorites. I used to be a hater of the game before I ever played it. But once I actually played the game, I became hooked, it is now the game I play the most. I hear Gears of War 2 sucked, I'll have to check it out.
on November 27, 2010
I've played the series since it was released and I will always have a place in my video game past to play this whenever I feel the need. Killing locust and watching Baird bitch and complain all the way through makes me smile.

I have always liked this game for the story line, not just the game play. The character development was spectacular and the game play was great.

If your looking for a great story with sweet game play then it's a must play, and if you get real into the story line the books are almost bridges to the gaps and introductions to the next installments, the games and books play off of each other and give more character depth.