5.0 out of 5 stars Single Player Experience
Gears of War 3 succeeds where other trilogy enders fail. Some people play for the online, and others play for the story, and as time goes by it seems games are focused more on the multi-player aspect while the single player seems like a second thought. I don't play online. To me, a great game comes from a story that is fun to play, and characters who are fun to be...
Published on September 22, 2011 by Philip Schneider

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too short.
Really fun game, but I wish I had read more reviews. Unless you put the game on hard difficulty, it only takes a few hours to play through. Maybe some people don't care about that, but I do. I realized that the biggest reason people love this game is bc of the online multiplayer pvp. I have no interest in that, so I got a few hours of gameplay out of this game. The story...
Published 4 months ago by Zamkat

5.0 out of 5 stars Single Player Experience, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)

Gears of War 3 is the last game in the "Delta Squad" trilogy. The games lead characters have come a long way from the juiced up one liners from the first game. Gears of War 3 is more of a emotional story than the past games, and you may find yourself caring about Marcus, Dom, Cole, and Baird more than you would in any other game. They succeeded in making you care for the soldiers of Delta Squad. And that is what is missing in most games today and it was good to see that Epic Studios wrapped up the story is a mostly neat package. I say mostly because almost every question is answered in the final game.

Not only does Gears play great, but it looks and sounds amazing. Even with the volume on a normal setting, Gears 3 explodes in the sound department. Thats to be expected from a Gears of War game. Gears 3 looks incredible. For its time, the first game was a visual treat, but the environments were mostly small and grey. But not in the final game. The levels later in the game look amazing. Way more green and way more outdoor environments to curb stomp your enemy.

Gears of War 3 works on so many levels and I can't even write about all the multiplayer features like Verses and Horde and Beast Mode since I don't play online. As a single player game Gears does not disappoint. Great Visuals, Excellent sound, and a good story that will stay with you after the credits roll equals a game that is not to be missed. I look forward to more games in the Gears universe in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, great close to the trilogy, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
I've only spent a few short hours with the campaign and some of the Horde 2.0, but so far, this game is turning out to be exactly what Epic and Microsoft promised, an amazing close to a great game series.

Additions to the core campaign most people will like would be 4 player co-op. Always wanted that in the previous games, but the way they were designed it really only felt right with 2 players. This time every mission requires a team of 4, which means real 4 player co-op is possible and quite fun. Playing the campaign alone isn't bad, but as I've read in reviews and agree, it really is meant to be played with real people. Playing with the equivalent of bots allows you to enjoy the game but it won't be as rich of an experience in my opinion.

You still have the cog tag collection hunt, along with the little collectible bits of paperwork strewn throughout the game just as in previous games in the series.

Another cool addition, for those playing co-op, is the arcade mode. In this mode you still play the core campaign but everyone is scored. Depending on amount of kills, rescues and so on you get a score. It doesn't really do much but add a taste of competition to the 2-4 player campaign, but it definitely adds to the fun factor.

Horde 2.0 is a ton of fun. The addition of "buying" emplacements and so on really adds to the depth. For those that love the original Horde from Gears 2 though, the hardcore lovers of the mode, you might be a touch disappointed that it's been changed. For me, it's a change for the better.

There are a ton of other multiplayer modes that I just haven't gotten to yet, but I will update my review when I finally get a chance to play them.

Graphically this game is nothing short of amazing. Unlike previous games in the series there doesn't seem to be any screen tearing in the campaign (EDIT- later in the game there was some minor tearing). I haven't experienced any in the Live modes I've played, but reserve commenting further until I spend more time with it. In the Beta there was screen tearing galore, so I'm hoping they focused on fixing it for release.

Music is Steve Jablonsky (Gears Of War 3 The Soundtrack). If you enjoyed the music in Gears 2, you'll enjoy it here as well. Orchestral, moody and pitch perfect for the scenes in which the music plays. I miss the Gears 2 title screen song, but hey, this is Gears 3 and it needs to be refreshed.

Sound effects and voice work are equally amazing. All the voice actors from the previous games make appearances here as well, including fan favorite Cole. Really high quality work.

Over all the game feels like a truly worthy upgrade to a truly classic series. I'll miss the further adventures of Marcus and gang, assuming we don't really see a sequel or extension (highly unlikely, right). It's like closing a chapter with friends.

Definitely worth $60. I bought the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition and love it, but the game on its own stands tall.

EDIT 9/21/2011 - I've now spent a total of 10 hours in the campaign. This is me playing from Act 1-1 to Act 2-6 on my own, then playing through the same with my 65 yr old father. We were both having a blast with it. We also had a few people join the party and we went through part of Act 2 w/ 4 people. Despite the larger amount of people there were still plenty of Grubs to kill for everyone and still had some challenge to it. With 4 decent player characters though, even hardcore is a touch "easy."

BEAST MODE- this is one awesome addition to the franchise! You and a party of up to 4 other people (5 total) take control of the Locust and get to try and kill as many humans as possible. It uses a money concept similar to the emplacements and weapons in Horde 2.0 (which also feels a lot like the way it works in say, Call of Duty Black Ops zombie bits). You have to purchase your Locust and as you kill more people, you get more money, which enables you to buy better and better Grubs, all the way up to a Berserker, which is awesome! If you only have 30 minutes to play Gears and have some buddies on Live, this is a fast paced, frenetic jump of fun for sure!

NEW WEAPONS- the sawed off shotgun is the weapon of choice for many a multiplayer fan. I'm personally not big on the tactics used w/ the weapon in multiplayer but once you get the hang of it, it makes a decent up close weapon. In the campaign though it's not really a weapon you should be using. You have to get far too close to enemies to kill them, and in the case of the Drudges, you don't want to be near them when they blow up!

Retro Lancer isn't bad. The handling is different, the active reload timing is different and using it like a spear takes getting used to. It seems to be more powerful than the chainsaw Lancer, but they built it to feel like a prototype of the chainsaw version, so they did a good job making it feel like an evolution from the retro to the regular. Good stuff!

The Digger - you fire a projectile towards an enemy, it burrows underground and pops up near the enemy and explodes. It can be pretty devastating if you can get it to hit.

That's all for this edit. Thanks for reading!

EDIT- 9/23/2011

Played more campaign last night. I now have at least 15 hours on the campaign. For those of you that have read the campaign is really only 10-15 hours, I've replayed Act 1-3 w/ my father over Live and we made it to Act 4 last night and watched the story bits every time which is why it is taking so long to finish.

After spending this much time with the campaign, I have to say I continue to be impressed. There is one level that I think will be the best in the game. It's Act 3 Chapter 1, which I won't name as I don't want to give anything away in my review, and it is simply astounding. It was frantic, it was hectic and 100% fun. I actually wanted to jump out and restart the mission when it was over.

And what happens at the end of Act 3 Chapter 6 is unexpected and for me at least, quite emotional. You'll understand when you get there and do yourself a favor, try not to read any spoilers on-line.

I'm hoping to finish the campaign tonight or early this weekend, at which point I'll stop editing my review.

With 15 hours into the game, I can still say that this is definitively the best Gears game of the 3 which is absolutely no small feat. With all the multiplayer modes, all of which are amazing fun and a decently lengthy campaign which can be played w/ up to 3 other people, there should be enough to keep you busy for some time to come. Definitely worth the price.

EDIT 9/24/2011-

Finished the campaign last night with my father. From start to finish I would say the game took 12 hours. This includes us dying, watching cut scenes, listening to dialog and so on. If you buy the game for the single player campaign, you might find this to be a bit too much money for too little time spent, HOWEVER, with the multiple difficulties and the ability to play with arcade scoring on, I'm sure you'll have fun going through at least 3 times, though subsequent play throughs will take less time given you'll skip cut scenes and dialog. So figure 6-9 hours per campaign play through, which means you will get 24-30 hours play time out of it, minimum.

The game is well balanced. There wasn't really any level or any section of the game where myself, nor my father, felt the difficulty spiked unevenly. Given this is Epic, I didn't think this would be an issue and it isn't.

The game is a ton of fun and with all of the multiplayer game types you can probably play this game quite a lot and never find yourself bored.

This will most likely be my last edit. Enjoy the game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most complete Gears yet!, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
This is the most COMPLETE game I have ever played. I honestly can't see myself thinking "hmmm. I wish they had this on this game!" Everything is here. Great campaign!Including that it is 4 player co-op online and 2 player split screen offline. Things like that make this game accessible no matter what. Which is why I love it. Played the campaign for about 3 hours and everything is set perfectly. Same great characters plus more, great action and everything is balanced to not give you the feeling that you're getting bored or doing too much. With all that said, I dont want any spoilers so I'll stop there.

Arcade Mode- I believe this is another great addition. If you've play Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare. You'll remember their Arcade Mode. I loved seeing the points pop up as if I was at an arcade or even playing the multiplayer. I just loved that aspect of it and it also adds a level of competitiveness with friends. Thats about all this mode offers though, but still great fun.

Horde 2.0- If you're a fan of killing, killing and more killing. You'll love Horde 2.0. Horde 2.0 adds more depth to the previous games Horde. I remember my cousin playing with me and using the shield to block off Locust. I wondered why I didnt think of that myself? Guess I'm just not as creative. lol, but now with kills and downs. You earn money to by things such as: weapons, barricades, decoys and bases. All of these things add a whole new level to the Horde. Making it so that now you and your friends can literally create a base and blockade to defend yourselves through the endless amounts of hordes. (actually i think the last level is 50 but it feels endless lol.) I can see Horde 2.0 adding a lot of replay hours to this game seeing as how fun it is.

Beast Mode- I only played the first 12 levels of this on casual to get the idea of what it was. You can pick which Locust you want to be but you have to pay for it. So the points you earn killing go to the beast you are. The catch is you only get a minute to kill the however many survivors and you gain more time as you go on killing them and destroying their turrets and machines. I found this mode fun since I always wanted to know what it was like to be on the Locust side of the Horde. My only problem was that I found myself going back to certain Locust with guns since that's what I was comfortable with. I think that's only me though and others will have great fun with this mode.

Multiplayer- Yes Multiplayer. What everyones been waiting for. Honestly Im not going to spend much time of this review on it. Its everything thats been talked about or from Gears of War 2. I believe they added more modes (ie Deathmatch). Though from playing the matches that I have so far. It's smooth and responsive and I think thats most important. The guns are amazing. I truly think that they are balanced and you just have to find your match. I prefer the Lancer and Gnasher but others differ of course. The characters are better than ever. I say that because there is more of a variety of characters to choose from and unlock. As well as gun skins, badges and ribbons. This all gives the game much more replay value.

To end this off. This game honestly gives you your $60 worth! There are some "extras" (mainly gun skins) that you have to pay real money for. But they arent taking away from the game by any means. This game gives you great modes for however you feel and offers online and offline gameplay even with bots. Making it feel as if you are always connected and never missing out on more fun. Also the graphics are amazing just as any other Gears of War game. I would highly suggest this to any shooter fan seeing as this is the most complete shooter out there at the moment.

Update 9/25/2011- Hey guys. Just wanted to update the review a bit. After playing this game for countless hours and getting some feedback in the comments section, I felt it would be good to update you on more of the details. I've played more into the campaign, Horde Mode and multiplayer. As another reviewer said the Beast mode is only 12 levels. Which is a real let down honestly. At one point it leaves you wanting more and another may make you happy that it's over. Once you unlock more Beasts and Locusts it gets easier if you have the money to spend. The Berserker is supposed to be blind but I found myself find enemies perfectly and destroying them with one hit. You start of with a minute to kill every survivor and there are more notable Gears characters that you have to kill as well. Along with the challenges, there will be more to bring you back to at least finish those out. Other than that this mode isnt as appealing as the others.

Horde 2.0 is crazy fun with friends. Having up to five players in the party stealing kills, setting up blockades and upgrading everything is a blast. Teamwork is needed to survive, this is no cakewalk. 50 hordes of enemies until the end takes a couple of hours, loads of patience and good teamwork as I stated. The more you level up your turrets, barricades, sentry guns and even a huge gorilla suit. You'll upgrade enough to where they cost less and defend better. You'll want these things to distract and protect you from the locust since in later waves (every 10 to be exact) Locust will gain 2x health, 2x accuracy and you take 2x damage. But this mode is great fun and adds a ton of replay value compared to the Beast mode.

Multiplayer- I believe the multiplayer is very unique compared to other shooters. Specifially what caught my eye with this game is that if you arent good they arent necessarily trying to make it so that you are better or equal the playing field if that makes any sense. If you arent that great at this game, it's going to show. Unlike say Call of Duty where they give you perks and other tools to somewhat equal the playing field. Not to say they dont give you the tools to get better. As I state above, you can play with bots on or offline and at any of the 4 difficulties. So you can practice all you need to with certain weapsons, levels or difficulties all you need to before you jump right into the online world of Xbox Live. ANOTHER thing is that these bots arent aimbots. They actually feel more so as if you're playing human players. Just not as great becuase I have seen some great guys on xbl. Along with that, there are dedicated servers and you wont run into lag as much depending on your own connection. This is great. Matches run smooth making you want to play this multiplayer more. Also there are a ton of unlocks! Ribbons, Medals, Mutators, Characters. As you level up through all of the modes, you will gain these. Gaining them all is no easy task but its fun in the process and will be very very time consuming.

I didnt want to get too much in the campaign before but I have to note a few things. The 4 player co-op runs so amazing! I havent had any hiccups or disconnects with it and Im in Germany playing with 3 friends from all around the United States. The story is so much better than I expected. No spoilers for the people who have yet to play but this is a great follow up and and ending to such a great series. Im on Act 4 now and its about 5 acts. It's said that the campaign is about 10 hours and I've been playing on Hardcore for about 8 so I see the end coming soon. I just cant believe how much fun I've had though. They've fixed alot from previous games and the beta and it shows. Some things still dont work as need but I can see patches roll out to fix some of these. My biggest gripe is when you want to retro lancer someone and you charge at them. You have to charge from about 20 feet away. I guess that only makes sense to gain the momentum but I would like something other than to do just bump into them. But thanks to the other reviewers Stephen and Snake for the feedback as well. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fully loaded and worthy of a place on your shelf, October 11, 2011
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
For the price you'll pay for this game, whether you buy it at launch or at the inevitable discounted price further down the road, you get so much value and entertainment for your cash that it would simply be a shame not to pick this up. I'm here to tell you that this game pulls out all the stops and I'll try to keep it short.

The graphics are gorgeous. I've read people's comments on forums saying that the Gears series is no longer impressive due to the usage of an "outdated" graphics engine. Wow, really? On more than several occasions, I stopped just to take in the surroundings because they were just that beautifully rendered. For what it's worth, this is the best looking Gears game yet.

The sound is top notch. My subwoofer definitely got a workout playing this game and the sound design is very, very nice. If I had to pick one thing to comment on, I love the echoing calls of the gas barges. You'll know it when you hear them.

Storywise, this one is the most consistent throughout its playthrough. There may be some melodramatic moments and a couple of bad line deliveries peppered throughout but not once did I roll my eyes or pray to myself that the game would end already. It was a fitting end to the series and the fact that co-op play has been bumped from two players to four make this a worthy purchase on that facet alone.

Horde mode, the 2.0 version. I'm going to tell you here and now that this is where you'll get your money's worth. I simply adore the fact that they took the original horde and shaped it into something that the fans wanted and would be satisifed with. It is very obvious that Epic took this mode, which was already great to begin with and took every suggestion and consideration to heart when crafting this new, updated version. I've sunk most of my playtime into this mode and with good reason. It's intense, it's violent, it's insane... and it's the best wave-based gameplay you're likely to encounter. The bar has been set incredibly high with Horde 2.0 mode.

Look, that's not even mentioning all the different versus modes and the all new Beast mode which lets you play as the Locust Horde in a sort of reverse Horde mode. If you're a stat junkie, I can't think of one statistic that this game DOESN'T include. The online play is absolutely delectable, with the games running off of dedicated servers this time around.

This game is nothing less than a thank you to fans of the series, old and new alike. At a time when games seem to be giving you much less bang for your buck, think of this game like a suitcase that you can't close because it's been overpacked. Normally, that's a bad thing but most definitely not in this case. Fans of the series, rest easy. Epic has closed out this trilogy with fireworks, flying colors... however you wanna say it.

Easily and most highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Another GOW Game, November 20, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
There's really no need to read this review, either you've played every Gears of War game for hundreds of hours and you absolutely love it, you've played some of the games and think they're OK, or you've avoided all of the Gears games. Nothing is going to change your mind, especially this game. By no means is GOW3 bad, but there is absolutely nothing different or new in this game. To me, it feels like a game that receives annual releases like Call of Duty and all sports games. The gameplay is exactly the same as the previous titles, except that it has less crazy and awesome set pieces and battles than in previous games. There are basically only 3 kind of cool moments that are memorable in the game, the Kraken battle at the beginning of the game that is really pretty basic fare, a flying beast battle at the end of the game, and a really fun but short semi-Tower Defense event where the horde are attacking your base. I also found the way that the Lambent spawn is annoying. Previously, the horde coming out of the ground kind of made sense, but now, I can't figure out how the lambent pop out of the stalks with weapons, it just doesn't make sense.

The story, like the previous iterations, is probably the weakest part of the game. I won't go into any spoilers (not that anyone would care), but it essentially boils down to just finding your father who has created a Deus Ex Machina weapon that will destroy all of the glowy creatures and perhaps the horde as well to end the trilogy. There definitely isn't as much glaring machismo in this game, but it's replaced with a bit of childishness, where I thought it was really awkward how Marcus kept talking to his Dad. It especially wasn't helped by the voice actor who sounded really weird in the dialog where he talks to his father or about him. Also, there isn't any character development, and they are all completely interchangeable, making me feel absolutely no emotion when certain characters die. Their deaths by the way were completely pointless, there was no real reason for them to occur, and for one they didn't even explain why it happened, other than for the developers to cut off possible loose ends. The big story reveals are really just obvious duds, and they end up adding more new unanswerable questions than answering old ones. However, no one plays the Gears of War games for the story, so take my complaints with a grain of salt.

The weapons are another thing I found annoying about the games, I almost feel like since they made one of the greatest FPS weapons in the chainsaw machine gun, they don't want to make anything that would trump it. Every other weapon of the game has multiple limitations artificially attached to make it so no one that plays the game will ever not be carrying the chainsaw gun. Most of these limits are obvious and seen in other games, like the kick-ass weapons having very limited ammo and reload times, but the artificial limitations are the most obvious in the new machine gun, with a bayonet instead of a chainsaw. This gun is the most unstable of any gun I've ever shot in a video game, where even if you try to fire it in bursts the reticle will be erratically moving all across the screen. The loading screen says the gun makes up for it by packing a bigger punch, but I didn't really notice any difference. It's a shame though, as charging with the bayonet out is pretty awesome. There is another new gun that is a modified rocket launcher that goes under cover, but it is very seldom available, and felt kind of gimmicky. My least favorite of the weapons is the sniper rifle, which is the worst iteration of it in any FPS. It only has one shot, and when reloading you lose your positioning. It's just really annoying, and I feel like if they can create all of the other weapons in the game, they could make a sniper rifle with a clip.

The multiplayer is the other big part of the game that I'm sure a lot of people would love, but I'm just not a huge fan of. Gears competitive multiplayer just isn't my cup of tea, I find it to be very slow, yet the cover based mechanics of the main game just aren't as applicable in multiplayer. It's also frustrating, where if you die a certain amount of times you run out of respawns. This is fine, as it makes sense that a weaker player doesn't bring down the whole team, but it it extremely annoying when you have to just sit there and watch other people have fun. Then if you get tired of it and quit, the game can punish you by taking away almost a whole level, and the levels take a decent amount of time to increase. For co-op play, the only real disadvantage to it is that the whole gameplay is so tied around the 4 player team, that when you're playing solo the AI can at times be frustrating. The most memorable moments are the times where you're supposed to be stealthy. For some reason, none of the AI characters will pick up a sniper rifle and take out the other guard when there are two of them. So it is practically impossible to get through those sections in solo-play without alerting the camp, and spawning a crazy amount of soldiers. Thankfully though, I didn't experience too many glitches with the partner AI.

So in the end, if you've liked the previous Gears of War games, I'm sure you'll love GOW3. While if you don't like the series, there's nothing that will change your mind here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best installment of the Gears franchise, October 1, 2011
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
This is by far the best Gears game. Campaign was an appropriate length with plenty of story. Any complaints about the bots on your team making it too easy were playing on a too easy setting. Multilayer is much improved. Horde 2.0 is fun and challenging, with a boss wave every 10 waves. Beast mode is my personal favorite mode (any time you can play as a ticker is a good time). I purchased the limited edition, but would not recommend that for the casual fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting End, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
The 'Gears of War' franchise is a fast-paced, sometimes glib, sometimes heartbreaking, but always engaging series of games that started out strong, and kept getting better. 'Gears of War 3' allows for the biggest pay off with its slick, professionally written story, excellent voice acting, and intense combat. I can only speak for the straight forward campaign mode, as I'm not a multiplayer person, but I had a great deal of fun, and quite enjoyed the time I put into the game. The campaign took me about 10.5 hours (rough estimate), but they were amongst the best hours I've put into a game all year.

This is not a happy story by any sense of the imagination, but war stories are never happy. Despite the humor that this franchise is known for, this isn't a funny game, though there are amusing bits of dialogue where I caught myself laughing out loud. This is war, and it's ugly, intense, and unpleasant. The sense of impending doom is heavy throughout 'Gears 3', and there are moments where even the most jaded of gamers will catch themselves choking up. Two particular moments with key characters solidified this for me, and I'm still processing those moments even now. To avoid spoilers, I'll simply say that these moments involve two of the squad members whom players have grown to know and love from the beginning.

Combat is fast and intense, with a few new weapons, and a lot of new enemies. The Locust are still here, but so are the Lambent ('glowies' as the characters call them). The glowies are nasty, fast, and tend to spit glowing goo at the squad. Avoid the ones that throw goop. It's just a good idea.

Overall, I found this game wildly enjoyable, with a great story and characters, and a superb music score. It's an outstanding game that offers true closure to a story long in development. It's well worth your time to get lost in the 'Gears' franchise. I know I had a blast while it lasted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best in the franchise, September 30, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
Breaking their 2 year cycle, Epic Games announced that the finale to their Gears of War franchise would finally be released and as much as I hate the word, intends for it to be the "definitive" Gears experience. The engine's being pushed the hardest, the multiplayer's the most balanced and there's enough features and things to unlock that this game can literally be the only thing you'd play just from sheer volume of stuff it has. While the game isn't re-inventing the wheel gameplay-wise and it still has the odd dichotomy between explosive-bromance-testosterone-blockbuster and emotionally-charged character-driven epic but if you're a Gears fan, chances are Gears 3 is probably the best one that they've done. But I do have complaints but I would easily recommend buying this game provided you can tolerate some annoyances.

2 years after the sinking of Jacinto, humanity's spread out and the COG has disbanded. Some of the Locust are being corrupted by the substance known as "Imulsion" and have become mutated versions of themselves dubbed the "Lambent". While on the ship Sovereign, Marcus Fenix receives news that his father, Adam Fenix, is alive and has a weapon that can potentially destroy the Lambent and possibly the Locust as well. So with buddy Dom Santiago, fellow COG buddies Baird and Cole, Anya and a new Carmine, Marcus heads off to locate his father and attempt to stop the Locust and Lambent threat once and for all.

Written by frequent Gears' novelist Karen Traviss, she does a much better job personifying the characters and she delves more into who they are. While it still has the typical action junkie "**** yeah, take that!" type dialogue, the story has a bit more weight to it. Well as much weight as you can give muscle dudes in heavy armor with chainsaws on their guns. While the set-pieces are still as grand as ever, I felt some of the pacing lacked as well since for all of its go-for-broke tendencies, Gears 2 was perfect in this regard. And while I hate to use the word "filler", there's parts of the game that feel extended or lengthened which sacrifices the flow. But then there's a mid-game cutscene that packs a huge emotional wallop and there's some impressive moments in the campaign that'll be fun to replay. It's just too bad the gap between those moments is a bit wide.

The core gameplay is still the same: take cover and fire shots into enemies until you hear the "all done!" sound cue but there is some minor tweaks. You can mantle kick into someone if they're on the other side allowing for quicker kills, the entire game carries 4 player co-op whether through standard campaign or the score-based Arcade and some new weapons come in such as the Digger which launches a grenade that travels underground as well as the controversial Sawed-Off Shotgun. Not to mention you're constantly rewarded such as headshotting enemies, doing successful active reloads and the like. It's not revolutionary but rather fixing the leaks and improving on the strong parts of the franchise which makes it a more satisfying whole.

The standard Versus mode returns although some gametypes have been dropped. Gone are Submission and Guardian and in its place is Capture the Leader: one player acts as the "flag" that must be captured but the Leader is able to hold LB and highlight not just your allies on the HUD but enemies as well which encourages communication. Also new (yet familiar) is the industry standard Team Deathmatch although there is a twist as your team has a shared amount of lives and once it reaches 0, everyone only has one life and upon death, they must wait until round's over. Although you will most likely see horrendous spawns and frequent uses of the Sawed-off, it's a fun mode anyway.

The 2 big draws are the return of Horde and the new Beast mode. In Horde mode, it's still up to 50 waves however Epic has added a tower defense-ish structure where you can purchase barriers to slow enemies down, automated turrets and manned turrets, buy grenades and additional ammo and decoys which distract the Locust. It's just as addicting as it was before however in later waves, it gets remarkably difficult and boss waves can be a tad overwhelming so expect many quitters or re-tries. Always wanted to take on 20 Locust plus a Brumak single-handedly? Now's your chance.

The new mode Beast is also a fun albeit a tad fleeting experience as you control the Locust themselves with unique abilities as you try to kill the Gears heroes and COG soldiers. It starts off simple enough as you use the bomb on feet Ticker or huge Butcher but pretty soon you can be a giant spider, a long electric centipede and even a berserker with distorted vision. It can get pretty frantic as the timer constantly ticks down which encourages speedier results yet at 12 waves, it's all too brief and unless you're being the absolute best on your team, you likely won't even unlock the last tier until towards the end.

When they talk of replay value, Gears 3 has an abundance of it although that depends on whether you actually want to tackle it. Gears rewards ribbons for completing certain challenges (3 headshots in a row, the most executions in a round etc) and also medals which are huge milestones such as completing x number of Wingman matches are getting x number of kills with a certain gun. But let's just say if you want to get all of them, you're going to be here a while: we're talking 6000 kills for each starting weapon, playing in 3000 matches of each gametype and executing your nemesis 500 times and there's a lot more that I haven't even mentioned. Want bang for your buck? Gears 3 has it but it could possibly backfire as you might decide the new Seriously 3.0 achievement might not be worth it considering how ridiculous the requirements are but it's a lofty goal to be sure.

Like Resistance 3, the extra year of development definately paid off as top to bottom, a Gears fan would be quite happy with the end product. While you might have some grievances (overpriced on-disc DLC, that damn Sawed-off and bad spawns and that ridiculous achievement), those looking for an alternative to military shooters can't do wrong with Gears of War 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars As stated in the past..all great things have to come to an end., September 25, 2011
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
I am not one to buy a video game the day it is released. On the contrary, I wait...and wait...and wait until I can pick them up at half price whether that is new or like new. With that being said, Gears of War 3 was a preorder for me. The first two games as most people know were simply amazing. I started playing this games on 9/23/2011. Now please know I work two jobs so to tell you today that I am already in Act 4 of 5 Acts should tell you what type of game this will be for you. I find it very hard to put down but work calls...along with sleep. This is the best of the series!!!! Hands down!!!! If I had to use one word to describe it...Unbelievable!!! An epic series finishes with what is easily one of the best games of all time. I am anxious to get home tonight and finish this game...then start all over on the harder difficulties. I am playing on normal...so I believe there are two levels above normal. The graphics are improved over the past two titles. There is a lot more variety in gameplay then in the past...and there is a lot more interaction with other gears...civilians...in this game which does gives this more of an apocalyptic feel. New enemies...new bosses...this games is simply amazing!!! If you are going to spend $40.00 to $60.00 on a new game this year, this is it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gears of the three and 3D is INCREADIBLE, September 30, 2011
J. S Thomas "Jethro" (Arlington, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
Update...I picked up the 3D pack for my mits 73" and tried GOW3 last night. Absolutely INCREADIBLE. The game is already great but going in with 3D brought me into the world of gears...the depth, the clarity was mind blowing. I spent a good 40 mintues just walking around in the game just see the textures and the way the ground had depth and feel and the characters looked at a distance, the airships really looked like they were flying, the bullet impacts had depth to them and could see them impacting the ground as I walked them into the enemy. Grenades looked like they were really flying...you get the picture...if you have the setup by all means give it a shot...if your on the fence about buying a 3D starter pack for your TV, GOW 3 IS THE REASON TO DO IT...simply AMAZING...and to think this was not a dedicated 3D game, but EPIC did an oustanding job....

I have played all three gears over the years and so far this one is the best imo. I was kinda worried at first as it started very slow kinda dragging it out but I guess that was to get the newbies going with the controls and feel. However, by Chapter I Act III it started heating up and has not let up since. I really enjoy the movie episodes it really brings the campaign together. The amount of detail is amazing and all the medals and ribbons one can earn is great. I really enjoy the Horde game, but my son is into the Beast and all are very fun, and the bosses are crazy tough. Many have wrote very detailed reviews on this game, all im going to say is if your on the fence or have never tried Gears Of War then jump in you will not be dissapointed. Although you can start with GOW3 to completely emerse yourself in the gears world you should pick up GOW 1 and 2 and when you get to 3 you will feel a part of the COG and then see how much effort was put into 3 to make it the best of all three!

Gears of War 3
Gears of War 3 by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
$19.99 $11.79