Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fat Gecko Mini Camera and Camcorder Mount
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Style: Fat Gecko Single|Change

on March 21, 2010
Durability:
I gave the durability 5 stars because it is VERY, VERY durable. And although it IS plastic, it is designed to last forever. The reason it is made out of plastic is because if it were made out of anything heavier, your camera would have to be lighter to compensate for the suction cup's hold.
All the knobs for tightening are also durable and I don't ever worry about tightening one too tight.
*****(five starts for durability)

Suction:
I gave the suction five stars because it definitely does its job.
I would trust my camera on it even on the outside of a car on the freeway.
When I first got it, I tested it on the glass face of my oven.
I then pulled on it to see how much it could handle and surprisingly, it opened my oven!!
(my oven is semi-jammed, so you have to pull with some force!!)
*****(five stars for suction)

Range:
I gave range five stars because this device can give you any angle you can think of.
However, at first, I thought it was missing a certain range of motion and when I realized it was just the way you put the suction cup on, I felt stupid.
Once I figured that out, I tested many ranges and configurations, and I still feel like there are more ways I have NEVER even tried before!!
Cool Camera Mount huh?
*****(five stars for range)

Overall Product:
I gave the overall product five stars because I couldn't be happier with it!
There is nothing it is missing and speaking of nothing missing, it even came with a little allen wrench to attach the arm extension!!
I am proud of my new suction cup mount and I'm sure it will outlast me!
*****(five stars for the overall product)
review image review image
0Comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2010
I just received my Delkin Camera Mount today. This video is the test I did with my Sony HDR-CX7 HD Handycam in the afternoon. It is very easy to use. The suction cup holds very tight even outside the car. I moved it to 8 positions around the car. The shooting was done in less than an hour.

I first though of using the suction cup from my GPS to hold my handycam before, but it would be no way steady as a dedicate device, so I did some research and found this low price camera mount. It comes with Height Extender, which in this video, I didn't have to use it at all.
88 comments|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2010
I use this mount for Autocross and so far have had this thing stuck all over the car. fenders, doors, trunk, hood, windscreen... anywhere with a flat surface. This suction is so powerful I'm more worried about bumping into it and denting the panel than I am it ever falling off. Great construction, good and sturdy.
44 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2011
After seeing a few reviews with this camera being used to film from a vehicle, I thought that this might be a nice compact mounting solution for my Kodak Zi8 camera. In many ways, this is an excellent camera mount and generally speaking the build-quality is very good. However, the base of the mount is the weak link. The ball-mount, the extension arm, and the suction cup are all sturdy and surprisingly rigid, but the base flexes where the arm attaches. This lends itself to some very shaky vibration (which is amplified when the extension is being used) for the camera. I have a GoPro suction cup mount which uses the same suction cup base (same patent number and marking IDs), and strangely enough the base on that unit is noticeably more sturdy. So this might just be an issue with quality control or manufacturing tolerances. I will probably swap the suction cup base from the GoPro mount onto this one and hopefully it will improve recording quality a bit, but the issue with the original mount still stands.

With a very cushy suspension and on very smooth roads this might work wonderfully, but on the rough roads around Houston TX with a moderately firm suspension, the excessive shaking/vibrating makes footage completely unusable. The attached video is from a recent drive around Houston at low speeds with the camera attached to the inside of the windshield with the Delkin Mini Fat Gecko mount (with the included extension installed). Footage from the highway was basically a psychedelic blur of out-of-focus color.
1616 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2010
I received this three days ago and tried it out today. I set it up on the inside of the front windshield of my car,along with my Camcorder(had to use the extention also)and took my half hour drive to work. This mount just stayed solid on the windshield and held the camcorder very stable. When I got to work it was a little early so I checked out the video and it was awesome! Very well made and you can point your device on several angles, also the suction cup is very strong. I would recommend this mount to anyone.
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2011
review image
on March 5, 2011
This well-built mount system is nicer and stronger than I expected. It can easily hold my Nikon D7000 with battery grip and a pretty heavy lens without any problem. It's adjustable to adapt to most situations.

The only thing that I wish it had was a Manfrotto quick-release mount. I made that wish come true by adding this adapter: Manfrotto 323 RC2 Rapid Connect Adapter with 200PL-14 Quick Release Plate - Replaces 3299 (Black)

Now I can move the camera from the Fat Gecko to my tripod in seconds.

I'm very satisfied with the build-quality, materials and versatility of the Fat Gecko.
review image review image
on December 1, 2010
I started riding motorcycles about a year ago. And because I was travelling to all kinds of places I didn't before, I wanted to capture the memories on video. So I had 3 options: put a camera in my helmet, get a Go Pro, or get something to attach my camera to the bike. I tried putting the camera in the helmet. The footage was great and I could talk into the camera mic, but I didn't like how the camera blocked some of my vision. Next was the Go Pro. Great little device. I just didn't want to spend $150 on a camera when I already had a perfectly good one. So, I looked into camera mounts and found the Fat Gecko Mini.

I've had the mount for about six months. I've ridden about 6,000 miles with the mount on the bike (ZX-6R). Some rides lasted 8+ hours. I've taken it to the track 3 times. And I have done 145 mph with the camera mounted. Not once has the mount fell off, felt loose, or became unstable. It is an amazing little thing.

For most of my rides, I placed the mount on my tank behind the windscreen. I really wanted to place it on the front of the bike or the side. But honestly, I thought that it would get pulled off by the wind. About 2 weeks ago, I find got the courage to place it on the front of the bike, with no wind protection. It performed flawlessly! The ride lasted for 7 hours. I didn't take it off the entire time. I can't tell you how nervous I was for the first hour of the ride. After that, I didn't even think about it.

My only negative comment about the mount is the extension. I can not use it on the motorcycle. There is just too much vibration from the road. If it were on a non-moving surface or inside of a vehicle, I have no doubt that there would be very little vibration in the camera footage.

Any hand-held camera which can attach to a tripod (most cameras) can be mounted on the Fat Gecko Mini. I wouldn't put a camcorder or camera over 2 pounds on it when mounting on the outside of a vehicle. That's just asking for trouble. But everything else, go for it! So save some money and get one. You won't be disappointed.
on August 25, 2011
I use this to mount my camera to my windshield during Autocross. Pulling close to 1G turns I've never once worried about my $400 camera I have attached to it. Given four of these, I think you could scale a building. It worked so well, I ended up buying a second once, along with TCPH: iPhone/HTC/Samsung/Motorola Andriod Smartphone to Camera Tripod Adapter (Mount your camera phone to existing tripod) for a nice windshield mount for my cellphone.

My only complaint is its range of movement. Especially when working on the lower part of the windshield close to the dash, its hard to get it in the right place sometimes. It has a ball joint on the end right where the camera mounts. It would be nice to have another ball joint near the base of the arm, instead of just a hinge that has a little less than 180 degrees of motion.

The video was shot with a Canon SX200 IS, which weighs about half a pound. As you can see, the Fat Gecko held on tight. If I had a more durable camera, I would definitely feel comfortable mounting this to the outside of the vehicle.
on April 26, 2010
I bought the fat gecko to attach my Nikon D90 to the front windshield of my car for a 5 day cross country drive. I had the unit mounted to the windshield with the camera on it for around 8 to 10 hours each day. By the end of the 3rd day the ball joint closest to the suction cups was starting to show some give and would slowly move out of position despite being tightened as tight as I could manage.