5.0 out of 5 stars So Addicting!
Published on January 31, 2012 by Joey's Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Not So Good For Touch Kindle
I've tried to play this game a couple of times. Gems come from the left side of the upper screen. You need to get them to the column you want them to drop into, with the goal being getting three in a row.

Published on April 13, 2012 by J. A. Eastman

5.0 out of 5 stars So Addicting!, January 31, 2012
This review is from: Gem Falls (Kindle Edition)
This game is a LOT of fun to play. It's a match 3 puzzler where you control where the gem falls. You can see several of the gems yet to come at the top of the screen and strategically plan where to put them when they come down. This might sound easy - and it is at first, but it gets progressively harder as you go up in levels. To start with you have about 5 unique gems to work with. You can match them in horizontal or vertical rows of 3 or more, and also in L shapes (any direction) as long as 3 like gems are touching. As the levels increase, you get a variety of subtle changes, such as gems that are locked (you cannot clear them without a key which randomly appears for you to drop where you need it), and you get plain blocks that have to be cleared with bombs only, and of course you get random bombs that you can drop where needed to clear the plain blocks or unwanted gems, and you get special gems that clear all gems of the same type where you drop the special one, and I'm sure there are other ones I have yet to encounter. The game is a LOT of fun and very hard to put down. I have been playing the "relaxed" mode where I can take my time and think through my moves and not feel rushed. But it has a timed mode too for those who like more of a challenge. The game is played entirely with the 5 way button, and you can navigate gems left to right with that and also drop them with the 5 way by pushing the button in for a slow drop or pressing down for a fast drop. If you are a fan of casual or match 3 games, I strongly recommend this one. Of the 47 games I own on my Kindle, this is absolutely one of my favorites! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A jewel drop type game--fun and a little too distracting--which can be good or bad., February 18, 2012
This review is from: Gem Falls (Kindle Edition)
Basically a 'jewel' is shown and you choose which of several columns to drop it in, trying to get (at least) three of the same shape touching either vertically or horizontally. I started to play without reading the directions (!) and it took a couple levels for me to notice that it wasn't just a horizontal match. Each level is progressively harder with locks and walls setting up barriers, as well as bombs/keys to break them.

The controls work reasonably well with the Touch (the model I tested it on). There were a few times the touch screen lagged the play and I ended up dropping the jewel in the wrong column. WIth a little practice this became a minimal distraction. I would suspect on the keyboard version the 5 way would make the control a little easier, but a little slower if you are trying to play the timed variation of the game.

Overall this is quite a bit of fun. The biggest problem I had with it was stopping! Mostly I like to have games that are easy to find a breaking point in and finish is a shorter amount of time--something like Yahtzee or a Sudoku that have a fairly finite existence. The first time I played Gem Falls was about a 1.5 hour event. Stopping between levels is an option of course, but trying to stop mid-game is a challenge (at least for me). I want to FINISH. Consequently I wasted good reading time as I don't want a Kindle for games. It felt a little wasted--my own issue but if you have the same concerns this information may help you.

On the plus side the 1.5 hours was at the gym--20 minutes in the locker room because I planted my tush down and forgot to move, 45 minutes on the exercise bike and then the rest in the locker room again. On the plus side I have to say I hardly noticed my biking and was surprised when the time was up. I can't say I focused on my workout, but today was an 'easy' one where I wasn't trying to shift resistance/rpms frequently or otherwise pay too much attention, so this game was actually quite nice for passing the time. If I'm reading a book I usually lose the ability to concentrate on the words after 20-30 minutes, so this was a vast improvement in terms of workout time. On the other hand, when I really just need a reading break or a break before bed, it's just too much of a time sucker.

I'm wavering between a 4 and a 5--my issues with the controls are likely just the learning curve, and my issues with the difficulty I had in stopping is probably not universal, so I'll go with the 5. It was entertaining, was great for giving a strong distraction...but I just found it difficult to put on pause and too easy to waste time I guess I just need to learn to not Have To Finish a little better...but the OC in me makes it hard.

Bottom line though, it's fun and works well. Recommended!

JTG

4.0 out of 5 stars GEM FALLS, April 17, 2012
This review is from: Gem Falls (Kindle Edition)
Great game hours of fun. Amazing how you can play without color! had to download to the entire family's kindles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Not So Good For Touch Kindle, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Gem Falls (Kindle Edition)

I find it very difficult to maneuver the gems to the right column. I think that may be that this game is just not so easy to work on a Touch Kindle. One with buttons would surely be easier. Or so I think anyway.

It may be me, it may be my Kindle, but this game just isn't fun for me. I gave it three stars due to me not being sure why it doesn't work for me. Would not recommend for anyone with a Touch Kindle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gem Falls okay, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Gem Falls (Kindle Edition)
I have been playing Gem Falls for about a month. It is somewhat interesting. What it lacks is color and sound for this type of game. The black and white gem images makes it a bit difficult to identify differences, therby creating hesitation. Gem Falls is an okay game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gem Falls from Amezon, March 5, 2012
This review is from: Gem Falls (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this game because the action is on my knowledge ofthe gem falls.
It is mathematically accurate and I know I only play the slow one the relaxed one but is is still fun and anyone wanting play a game they need to start in the relaxed state and learn the fundamentals

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Touch Response on Kindle Touch, February 14, 2012
Gem Falls
This is a new game that is sort of like Tetris. You have to swipe your finger across the top where the gem is located (before it falls) to make it move to the left or right. I found it to be very cumbersome and aggravating to play.

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs color to play, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Gem Falls (Kindle Edition)
This product is too hard to play on a black and white Kindle. I've enjoyed this game on the computer in color, but it is more work than fun on a black and white screen. There are other games a lot more enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun game, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Gem Falls (Kindle Edition)
Spend hours playing this game with little or no training. It can be on your computer or on your phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, February 15, 2014
This review is from: Gem Falls (Kindle Edition)
Gem Falls isn't a very challenging game for one of my age but I still enjoy it occasionally. It's not very colorful.

Gem Falls