5.0 out of 5 stars The best clacky tile game is now even better
I collect games of high quality, and Hive is perhaps the highest. The tiles are made of thick bakelite, absolutely gorgeous and a pleasure to handle. There seven basic pieces:
Grasshopper (3) - jumps in a straight line over any number of pieces.
Ant (3) - slides anywhere legal.
Beetle (2) - crawls 1 in any direction, including atop the hive.
Spider (2)...
Published on June 6, 2012 by Ed Pegg Jr

3.0 out of 5 stars A clever game, it just didn't work for us since it is all strategy and no luck
As noted in many of my other relevant game reviews, I'm I am always looking for games I can play with my fiance. She is what some would call a "reluctant gamer" whereas I am an avid gamer, so I have be careful about what games I introduce her to. She prefers games that rely at least a little on luck (i.e., not all strategy) and aren't too complex (i.e., where you can...
Published 2 months ago by El_Tonio

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best clacky tile game is now even better, June 6, 2012
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
Grasshopper (3) - jumps in a straight line over any number of pieces.
Ant (3) - slides anywhere legal.
Beetle (2) - crawls 1 in any direction, including atop the hive.
Spider (2) - slides 3 spaces without backtracking.
Ladybug (1) - moves 2 atop the hive, then 1 down.
Queen bee (1) - slides 1 in any direction.
Mosquito (1) - copies the movement of any single pieces it touches.

On the first turn, players place one of their piece adjacent to each other, and this forms the Hive. No move may be made which separates the Hive. On each turn, a player may do one of the following:
1. Place a piece so that it doesn't touch an enemy piece.
2. Move a friendly piece.

To win, surround the opponent's queen bee. Quite a delightful game. This set is identical to the Hive Carbon set, except that the pieces are smaller. Each piece is roughly the size of 5 stacked US quarters. The game comes with a nice carrying bag. One draw back -- the rules are now a larger fold-out sheet which works okay if the game is kept in the original plastic case, but not so well if you want to carry a copy of the rules. A more portable version of the rules should have been provided.

The is also an excellent Hive app, in case you'd like to try playing the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, portable, and wide appeal, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
Hive is one of the games that I carry with me when I travel. I have played it with a huge variety of groups from younger kids to bored business managers between seminars.

The rules are simple. You place tiles in an effort to surround the opponents Queen. Once the Queen is places, players can also move the tiles already on the board. Each of the tiles has special movement abilities. Some are more defensive, and some are more offensive.

This version gets particular praise, because it includes some errata and clarification in the rules, it includes the two optional pieces that came out since the original game was published, and it is truly portable.

Five stars!

I highly recommend this game!

In service,

Rich

5.0 out of 5 stars Is That a Bag of Bakelite Insects in Your Pocket?, October 1, 2012
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
I assume you already know what the game Hive is all about. If not, here it is in a nutshell. Players start out with a number of hexagonal Bakelite playing pieces with several different kinds of insects on them. They take turns either placing a piece onto whatever playing surface you choose -- there is no board -- or moving an existing piece. Each bug type moves differently. Some crawl over each other, others jump from one spot to another, and still others sidle along the edge of the "Hive."

The Hive is the mass of bugs you and your opponent are creating, one at a time. You can only place your bugs next to your own bugs -- not touching your opponent's. You can't "split the Hive," which means that every piece must be on, adjacent, or linked by a chain of adjacent pieces, to every other piece.

You win when your opponent's Queen is surrounded by 6 pieces.

Play is simple and elegant -- a clear classic.

The colors resemble those of the original version. (Personally, I prefer the black and white of the Carbon version.) This version includes the same pieces as the Carbon version -- which means you get the Mosquito and Beetle "expansions" -- which amount to a total of four extra tiles, compared to the original.

This version is the obvious choice if you are looking for a very portable version you can toss in your bag. Highly recommended for fans of Hive who want to play on the go. And it's great for introducing gaming to non-gamers.

Fans of language games may also enjoy THE Book of Word Games: Parlett's Guide to 150 Great and Quick-to-Learn Word Games. The very imaginative may want to check out Dixit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful game, fits in your pocket?!, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
I love, love, love this game.

I've always been into abstract strategy games (e.g. chess, Gobblet, Go, Lines of Action, Phutball <33, etc.) and studied computer science/game theory in college. The game of Hive is certainly one of my favorites. I enjoy how it's a game with perfect information but you're not certain where or when that information will become relevant.

I recently spent some of St. Patrick's evening playing this game with a nine year old girl and she picked it up quickly and I was able to teach her the basic concepts in only a few minutes. I let her play as white without observing tournament rules and she intuitively decided to play the queen first (she's an aggressive, assertive, intelligent little lady). The game ended in a draw (SUPER DENSE HIVE) with me struggling against her aggressiveness as black. She also suggested a game that was more like checkers sans board using the hex pieces and I helped her polish that idea. It's essentially hive with the pieces flipped to just black and white using a queen and a spider to represent "key pieces" while using your other pieces as hoppers.

My older friends and coworkers also enjoy playing this game with me and they know I carry it in my coat/hoodie pocket. I've been in quite a few games where the tension feels much higher than in chess and have loved it win or lose. If you aren't playing and teaching Hive you don't know what you're missing. Also: to iterate, flip the tiles upside down and you can make your own boardless abstract strategy game using hex tiles; the possibilities are truly limitless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely portable great little fun 20-minutes game that requires strategic thinking., January 17, 2013
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
This game has little hexes with different insects on them, and each type moves differently (like how chess pieces each move differently). This "Pocket" version still has pieces that are plenty big enough for play on any table, etc. I can't imagine needing the full-sized version, especially since the hive can sometimes sprawl a little bit. Plus this Pocket version includes the "ladybug" and "mosquito" expansions, which are aren't cheap to buy separately for the original version of the game.

The object of the game is to surround your opponents queen before your opponent surrounds yours -- and the hive can never split, so all pieces must touch each other in a contiguous mass (with gaps). Pieces move like this:
Queen: Slide-moves one space any direction while staying connected to the hive.
Grasshopper: Hops over pieces to the next open space in that direction.
Spider: Slide-moves exactly 3 spaces without backtracking.
Ant: Slide-moves to any position you can slide it to (but not into holes that would require insertion from above).
Beetle: Moves one space per turn, but can slide or move on TOP of other pieces.
Ladybug (included expansion): Must move 3 spaces such that the first 2 are on top of the hive, and the 3rd brings it back down to table level.
Mosquito (included expansion): Can take the movement characteristics of any creature it is touching at the beginning of the turn, so if it is beside a spider and a grasshopper, the mosquito can jump to the next open space like the grasshopper, or can slide 3 spaces like the spider. If the mosquito is acting like a beetle and moves on TOP of the hive, it plays as a beetle until it comes back to table level.

We found it helpful to play without the expansions the first couple times, and then add the expansions one at a time. It's fun to see how strategies develop experimentally when you aren't taught strategies to begin with, so a strategy that works in the first game or two might cease to work quickly. I'm sure that as we play more, eventually we'll end up with some more robust strategies. Our first couple games went a little slowly while we referenced the rules frequently and tried to guess how moves would impact the game. It seems like 20 minutes will probably be the average game duration.

If this type of creatively simplified chess mechanic sounds interesting to you, I certainly recommend you check it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portable abstract strategy game!, July 21, 2012
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
I was trying to decide between this and Hive Carbon. I chose this version for portability and haven't been disappointed. I had no preference on the pieces being colored, but I think it makes it easier for some folks to learn. I take this out to the backcountry and love that you can play it anywhere.

Still trying to figure out how to gain an advantage when going second...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not that pocket sized, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
When I saw this was a pocket version I assumed I would have little tiny pieces and I was wrong. These pieces are a comfortably large size and still small enough to play on an end table. Playing this game with the normal set is almost unwieldy after having the hive pocket experience. It would fit comfortably into your pocket if the rule sheet weren't so large.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy hive buy pocket edition., January 27, 2014
S. Moon (SLC, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
So I got the carbon edition and loved the game but not so much the size/weight of the pieces or the weird zip-up round bag thing it comes in. This edition, pocket, is a huge improvement. It weighs one quarter, .2 oz a piece to the .8 oz a piece of the full sets, and a little over half the size. The bag it comes with is a huge leap over the weird round thing the full sets come with. I am going to wash it though, it has a weird feel to it that I hope a wash will fix.

Overall I'm pleased with this set. The Carbon Edition will be given away as a gift to someone who hasn't heard of it or the pocket edition. The full size sets are the same great game but take up way too much space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chess alternative, January 16, 2014
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
This travel game is great! The playing pieces have a lovely feel; are thick, smooth and heavy; and fit perfectly in the drawstring bag. I am so glad I got the travel version instead of the full version- it comes with the Ladybug and the Mosquito which you have to purchase separately if you are buying the full-size game. We've only played a few times so far and not advanced to using the add-on pieces yet, but it's fun and different each time, and not as "threatening" as chess. It is easy to play without a board and even adds to the challenge as you have to visualize the hex shapes. The price is perfect and the only thing I would possibly change is the map-like folding directions. It would be much better as a stapled booklet but I plan to type up a little card summarizing the moves for each bug, laminate it for durability, and tuck it in the bag.

I ordered this game as an alternative to chess for my 12 year old daughter and I to play. Neither of us is competitive and like a laid-back approach to games however I'd like her to learn strategy to strengthen her critical thinking skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hive Pocket!!!, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
This maybe the most fun abstract strategy game I've ever played. It's a lot like chess in that each piece has a different movement, but it is also definitely one-of-a-kind. The strategy is deep, but the game is much simpler and plays faster than chess. If you want a more complex game, you can buy the expansions, or in the case of the pocket version, they come included (except without the pillbug).

The object of the game is to surround your opponent's queen bee (a hexagon stamped with a bee graphic). The other hexagonal tiles (with bugs imprinted on them) have unique movements.

The pieces are really beautiful and are much improved from the original wood pieces.

I'd recommend getting the pocket or the original version, NOT the carbon version. Sure you save a few dollars on the carbon version, but there are a few caveats with the carbon version. With the carbon version there are only 2 colors (black and white), which makes it harder to tell the playing pieces apart than the original or pocket versions of "Hive," where each playing piece (bug) is a different color, making it much easier to tell the difference between the pieces.

Second, and this is just an opinion, the carbon version gives it a very serious look, like chess. Some people like that. I do not. The colors create a playful, easy-going flavor. One of the big benefits of the game is that it is much more accessible to people than chess. The serious look of the carbon version makes it look...like chess, decreasing the possibility that people will try out the game because they think they're playing the difficult, serious and complicated game of chess. My recommendation is get this set.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›