Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: DVD|Change

I have a love/hate relationship with reality television especially programming centered around celebrities. Sometimes against my better instincts, however, I have found myself caught up in the shenanigans of Gene Simmons and his clan in A&E's "Family Jewels." Through the seasons, the episodes have certainly been uneven but these guys (Gene, longtime partner Shannon, and their kids Nick and Sophie) are uncommonly smart and witty contrasted to some of their comparable counterparts. As the show hit its sixth season, though, it seemed like we were in need of new drama. "Family Jewels" expertly blends real moments with staged scenarios to maximize entertainment value, and that's part of its charm. You can never take it too seriously, it's as if you're in on the joke. But with the kids at college (their reduced participation definitely affects the show negatively, darn that education), Season Six took on the mother of subjects. Should Gene and Shannon finally part ways or should he, after all these years, make an honest woman of her? The cynic in me calls this a scripted plot progression, but the romantic just wants to go with the flow. Either way, it's a big development.

Instead of releasing Season Six in its entirety, however, the episodes were split into two DVD sets. Usually when a company does this, it is so they can get episodes out earlier while a season is still airing. But in this case, both these sets were released on the same day. I'm not sure why A&E didn't just opt for a full season.

Part One: In terms of episodes for value paid, this is definitely the better deal. This contains the first nine episodes of the season on two discs:
(1) Breaking Up Is Hard To Do, (2) KISS Your family Goodbye, (3) You Always Hurt The Ones You Love, (4) Blood Is Thicker Than Hummus, (5) The Demon Does The Holy Land, (6) The Demon Salutes, (7) Mr. Tweed Goes To Canada, (8) The Kids Are Not Alright, and (9) Belize It Or Not.

Although there wasn't a very organic feel to many of these episodes, the show took us around the world with excursions to Belize and Israel for a change of pace. In addition to these nine episodes, however, a third disc boasts previously unreleased episodes:
(1) Face Your Demons, (2) What Happens In Vegas, (3) Gene's Handicap, (4) God of Thunder, (5) Three's A Crowd, (6) My Fair Lady, (7) Keeping Up With The Demons, and (8) Scaredy Cat. That's just shy of 9 hours worth of programming on this set.

Part Two: Arguably the episodes that most will really want, however, are those leading up to the wedding. So the content on this two disc set has fewer episodes but deal almost exclusively with the nuptials:
(1) The Answer, (2) Tracy The Wedding Planner, (3) Till Death Do Us Part, (4) Our Life Passes Before Us, (5) Sleeping With The Boss, (6) Wedding Boot Camp, (7) The Demon Says I Do? and (8) Post Wedding Special.

If you love "Family Jewels," this was perhaps its most vital year. I wish the DVD release wasn't broken up but each has its selling point. Part One has a ton of episodes while Part Two includes the big day! KGHarris, 6/12.

on September 18, 2012
This video is probably the best I've ever purchased from Amazon. As a fan of this show and a 35 year fan of Gene Simmons,it was overwhelming to watch what this family went through in this season. I laughed which I always do with their show. But this season,I cried. This season was soul baring from all of them. I saw myself and my personal family members in some of what they went through.I also felt with them like never before. I was truly taught things by this season,taught things about myself from Gene's therapy and rough times. Even if your not a fan of the show or Gene or his family ....buy this,watch this. A few lessons are learned here about love,commitment,fear,and forgiveness. They all truly became like family this season. JUST BUY IT!!
on September 18, 2012
I can't say enough about this season of family jewels. My only wish is that it was released together instead of in these 2 parts. Having set down and watched them back to back,it's hard to remember which was in which video. They are meant to be together.
I said this in my review of part 1. They are like my own family.Not only because of the hard and bare truths they faced in this season ,but because they showed me parallels to my family and myself. For that they are all in my heart like I know them personally. Buy this together with part one,you'll need the closure of the wedding,even though you know ahead they are going through with it. Thank you Amazon for making this available and thank you simmons family for the journey. HOW MANY WAYS CAN I SAY THIS?...BUY THIS VIDEO.
on January 1, 2014
As a longtime KISS fan, I love watching what goes on with these crazy guys!

Especially Gene Simmons ... who knew as shrewd a businessman that he is, how SPOILED he is as well.

I know that a lot of the episodic scenes in this series have become staged and so-called "written out" to add drama to an already dramatic family, but it's still entertaining to me, on a personal level, to watch what's goes on in this family's life. It might not be a good analogy to make, but it's like driving by a car accident and looking at the damage that came from it. You can't take your eyes off it.

Both Part 1 and Part 2 of the 6th Season to this series are highly recommended if you feel about Gene and KISS the way that I do.
on July 11, 2012
After years of Gene talking about never getting married he does just that. Season 6 is split into 2 dvd sets while it could have easily fit all in 1 dvd set. Sounds like greed, but was it A&E's idea or Gene Simmons's idea or both.
on November 26, 2013
Very slick how Shannon and Dr. Wexler got Gene to thinking that it was all his idea to get married! All it boiled down to was that Gene didn't want to be alone after Shannon got mad seeing him on the internet arm in arm with 2 girls. So, she packed a bag and left. He didn't like an empty house, so, he did what anyone would do... Had a 25 carat ring custom made for her and begged her to marry him. With a little nudging from the good doc, it all came to pass. Along with a wedding band for Shannon that costs $280,000.00! She definitely got a ring "put on it"! I do believe they love each other and I wish them every happiness, but she IS a bit of a doormat and he IS a male chauvinist to be sure!!! So, here's hoping all will end well... although I would like a peek at the pre-nup it took so long to write!
on July 4, 2012
This season of Gene Simmons Family Jewels has been amazing. The family is so transparent about their life and their happiness and pain. The episode of the Wedding Boot Camp had me in tears. We all have issues in our past, relationships within our family and those we love where we need to take a closer look, say some things out loud, and forgive so that we can heal and move on. This was Gene and Shannon doing that and it was really inspiring and made me want to do the same. I wish them and their families all the best and appreciate the glimpse into their lives.
on January 21, 2013
The final piece in my collection of Gene Simmons' Family Jewels. He and Shannon have raised to wonderful, well-rounded children who are as interesting as their parents. I know Gene and Shannon are proud of Nick and Sophie. And as for Gene and Shannon, congratulations to them both! Shannon finally made an honest man of Gene! [ :-) ]
on January 21, 2013
Purchasing this helped complete my collection of "Family Jewels". Watching Gene, Shannon, Nick and Sophie has been a lot of fun. Their family is definitely one of a kind. My congratulations to them all.