4.0 out of 5 stars Generac 389cc Fuel Leak Problem Solved
I have solved my fuel leak problem. I own a two year old Generac GP 5500 (model 005623-1) that had this problem. It only has about 20 hours run time, but I keep fuel in it year round. I start and run for 30 minutes every 14 days.

Published 23 months ago by ken vann

2.0 out of 5 stars Think twice....
We bought this Generac GP5500 as part of a deal with our electrician when he installed a transfer switch in out home.

Published on August 10, 2011 by Joe's Garage

2.0 out of 5 stars Think twice...., August 10, 2011
This review is from: Generac 5939 GP5500 5,500 Watt 389cc OHV Portable Gas Powered Generator (Lawn & Patio)

I was impressed by the solid construction of this genset and the strong build of the frame/cage. The power generated is as advertised. It is not unduly loud either, and is held down to a reasonable sound level when the windows in the house are closed and the unit is running out in the driveway.

Anyway, I dutifully exercised this generator every month for a 15 minute run under load. It provided enough power to keep my essentials on in my home. I put about 5-6 oz. of fresh fuel with stabilizer in it for each run. After about 15 minutes under load, I switched off the load, and then ran it until the fuel ran out. I then turned off the fuel valve and put it back in the garage. I also changed the oil when it first hit 2.0 hours of run time.

After about 5 months of owning this machine, it suddenly started spewing fuel all over the ground during the monthly maintenance run. I contacted Generac for warranty service and the referred me to a local dealer. After transporting the generator to them, they had it for about a week. They said that the float in the carburetor was stuck open due to some corrosion. They claimed that this was due to bad fuel or fuel contaminated with water, or leaving the machine idle for too long without exercise. This boggled my mind since I have been very careful to prevent just this sort of issue.

They refused to even attempt to go get Generac to cover the cost of the repair and billed me $300.00. I explained to them that I followed all maintenance recommendations. The unit was kept in a dry garage without any fuel in the system between test runs. It had 2.1 total hours of run time -- all of it for monthly test runs. Essentially brand new. And yet they refused to even attempt going to Generac for warranty coverage since they explained it was a failure of maintenance by the owner. I told them my maintenance routine, but they said that and corrosion like that is simply not covered.

I am extremely disappointed with this response from the local Generac dealer. It was also very expensive to repair when compared to the overall cost of the unit (nearly 50%). I suspect that the valve was stuck or was of inferior quality and that it had nothing to do with corrosion. perhaps there was a metal flake or burr in there since everything was brand new. But without filming the entire repair and taking parts to inspect them, it is impossible to know and prove what exactly was truly wrong.

If I had to buy over again, I would choose a Honda. And if something goes wrong with the Generac again while I still own it, I will fix it myself instead of taking it in for warranty service. Coverage for repairs is completely at the discretion of your Generac dealer/service people and there is no way to prove that you, as the owner, followed all the proper maintenance and still encountered a part failure -- and are thus stuck with a bill. It is not worth paying $300 to clean a float value for a generator that costs about $700.00.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generac 389cc Fuel Leak Problem Solved, August 26, 2012
ken vann "Kenny" (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews

Carburetor leaks are caused by a float stuck in the lower position. This can be caused by dirty/old fuel, or Ethanol and water mixing in the fuel. Temporary repairs can be made by lightly taping the carburetor, or by removing and shaking it to free up the float.

Inspection of the float needle showed it to be made of bright aluminum, with a synthetic tip. This needle had corrosion and pitting on it's body, while the synthetic tip had minor wear. It did not have an anodized coating for protection from corrosion. I believe this to be an engineering problem.

Mine has a Huayi Standard of Japan carburetor. Huayi Model #: P27-1, P23 and or P20-1. Not sure which model.

Internal carburetor parts are not available from Huayi or the generator manufacturers. The Huayi design is a clone of certain Honda carburetors, used on some models of GX-240, GX-340 & GX-390 engines. Honda parts or generic equivalents can be used for repairs. See Honda parts manuals for detailed drawings.

I recommend to use Honda Part #16011-ZA0-931 Float Valve, or equivalent, for all repairs to these carburetors. The Honda part is made of synthetic material. The generic parts appear to be made of Aluminum or Zinc with a dull finish. This finish may or may not resist corrosion. All examples came with a spring.

Here is a list of part numbers that are generic equivalents to the Honda part.
Prime Line:7-02343, Rotary:22-10475, Stens:525-554 Needle Valve HONDA/16011-ZAO-931, Oregon:49-997 Oregon 49-997, Carburetor Needle Valve H

I installed the Rotary part in August of 2012, and will keep an eye on it to see if it holds up to the 10% Ethanol fuel. Cannot get pure gas in my area.

Also I changed fuel treatment. Quit using Sta-Bil and went to Star Tron. Star brite Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Gas Additive (8 oz)

I replaced the Solenoid Fuel Valve mounting screws. They were Philips head and I stripped them out. Used hex bolt in 5mm x 12mm, 0.80 thread pitch, grade 8.8. Had to use a thinwall socket to put them in but it works great.

Generator starts with one or two pulls and runs great with the Rotary part.

Found generic air filter that fits. Try Oregon 30-963 Pre-Oiled Foam Air Filter For Honda 17211-899-000 or Air Filter HONDA/17211-899-000. These replace the two piece filter that came with the generator.

My generator came with a fuel filter. It not listed in the Generac parts list, so I have been testing a KOHLER 25 050 07-S Engine Fuel Filter 75 Micron With 3/16-Inch & 1/4-Inch Fuel Line Inside Diameter. It fits 3/16 and 1/4 ID fuel line.

I will edit this review in the future and post the long term results of the carburetor repair.

One last thing, always check back with the Generac website to see if they have revised the parts list or owners manual for your model. When I checked, the parts list went from Revision B (when I purchased it) to Revision D this August. More parts are now available for this 389cc engine.

And yes, this fuel leak problem should be solved by Generac. It's an engineering problem.

===============================================
Revised: October 6, 2012

Search for Ken's Generator Resources for more information on how to fix this fuel leak.

============================
Revised: February 18, 2013

Be sure to read the comments on this post for more information on how to fix this fuel leak. This problem is an easy fix.

1.0 out of 5 stars Generac is a rip-off!!, May 19, 2012
Do not buy a Generac GP5500!. You will get a gas leak from the carb and they will not warranty. it is easy to fix and someone on youtube posted how to fix but the problem will recur over and over. Generac knows this is a bad carb problem by the manufacturer but refuse to help customers.Do yourself a favor and stay away from a Generac.

1.0 out of 5 stars BE WARNED! MAINTENANCE PROBLEM!, August 21, 2012
I am writing this review shortly after buying a Generac GP5500 generator, in order to highlight one very odd shortcoming affecting vital routine maintenance: You must actually completely remove the fuel tank before you can get access to the spark plug. In fact, with the fuel tank in place, I can not even remove the spark plug wire, or reach in far enough to touch the spark plug. The tank is firmly bolted in place with four bolts; not only must these be removed, but also the fuel supply line and fuel return line. And to get easy access with your plug wrench, it is helpful to completely remove the upper frame support too. None of these parts have any quick-release features. Further, there is no mention of any of this in the manual (page 11, section 3.3.6). I called the manufacturer's hotline, and after some searching, the service person was able to confirm that "obstructing parts must be removed." Given the frequency with which spark plugs need to be removed, this seems an odd design flaw.
Although this generator is about the most hightly-rated model in its category, and is nominally well suited to my needs, I would not have purchased it if I had known about this flaw.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warranty for Genset Sucks - No Support, April 3, 2012
I purchased this generator for potential emergeny use on 4/19/2011. I set it up according to instructions and ran it. I had filled it with gas and also added StaBil Marine Ethanol Treatment because of the issues cited about phase seperation. I have topped it off over the past year with ethanol-free gas. Today (4/3/12), I went to test run it for the third time and gasoline poured from the air cleaner assembly and also filled the oil sump! I found an authorized dealer who informed me it would be at least $125 to rebuild the carb (Chinese motor, blah!) and likely more if it needs replaced. He said there is NO WARRANTY FOR FUEL RELATED PROBLEMS! So, we have Generac selling an item that is unsuitable for current fuel blends without informing customers of the likely issues and voiding warranties. As they don't design a product that can use today's fuels and furthermore don't stand behind their products design flaws, I RECOMMEND DO NOT PURCHASE A GENERAC PRODUCT! I have used the same fuel conditioner & fuel in my O/B Yamaha motor during this period and have had no issues. So, that tells me which company produces a quality product.

UPDATE: Generac did supply a new carb but I paid labor. There's no guarantee it won't happen again. I upped it one star for their effort. Caveat Emptor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same engine as cheapy generators that cost half as much, September 12, 2011
I have no complaint about the generator other then the engine is made in an " unknown private overseas vender" (china??). Look at some pics, the gp5500 has the same engine found in all the cheap chinease generators that cost half as much.
I am really upset that i spent $780.00 w/tax for this generator from GENERAC! only to find out later its a cheap generator like a chicago, champion, homelite etc. I bought it because it was a generac and it was suppossed to be made in america = quality. I could have spent half the money and gotten the same product that was not hiding behind a name that used to be known for amarican quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Generac = China Quality, not America Quality + Very bad Warranty Policy!, January 24, 2012
I bought this Generac GP5500 not from Amazon. Very disappoint of Generac brand and its warranty policy. I paid for expensive generator in hope it is reliable, but it is not, and so very bad warranty policy.

Its first run was fine. Then I follow the included instruction to maintain it monthly, but after 3 to 4 months, it suddenly had fuel leaking and won't start-up (same problem with other user). I contact Generac for repair, but after that Generac refuse to cover the repair so I paid on my own. Then only two weeks after the repair, it got the same (exact the same) fuel leaking issue. Fortunately for me, that the repair is still within the warranty period, so I don't have to paid to repair it again. But it is proved that Generac generator is NOT = America Quality any more.

Generac generator is liked China Products, it is fined in the first few month, and completely unreliable and hassle after that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would not work from the start, August 26, 2011
Cynthia Hudson "sir842" (Almont, Mi United States) - See all my reviews
Engine worked fine, but no power would generate. When you pay that kind of money to expect it to work or at least someone at factory test it??????

4.0 out of 5 stars Generac GP5500 saved the day, June 3, 2011
rtbreeves (Battle Creek, MI) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this Generac GP5500 Model 5939 (Not from Amazon) during an online sale from another retailer. With free shipping, the generator took about 5-7 business days to arrive. It arrived at my house on a Thursday, and we had a major wind storm/tornado come through our town on Sunday evening. Luckily I had installed the wheel/handle kit that Sunday afternoon, so when the storm hit, all I had to do was fill up the gas tank and insert the quart of oil that shipped with the unit and we were ready to go. I was truly amazed, all I did was set the choke to full, and with one pull the generator started the very first time!!! I hooked up some 120v extension cords to run the essential items in our house (2 refrigerators, 1 freezer) and another chord to the 240v outlet to power our travel trailer where our family stayed during the power outage. The storm took out our electric power for over 2 full days, and the generator ran for over 42 hours the entire time (only shutoff to refuel periodically - would run about 10 hours on a tank of gas). This thing really saved us and made a bad situation somewhat bearable. I cannot comment on long-term reliabitility, since I've only had the generator about 2 weeks, but for something right out of the box it worked very well without any hassles. Thanks Generac.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!, October 29, 2012
First use - November Eastcoast "Halloween" storm 2011: The brand new out of the box generator starts first pull but the fuel tank is faulty, leaking gasoline through its seams after 20 minutes of use. It's made out of crapy weld sheet steel. Takes Generac 3 months to send me out a new one. Now, in preparation for it's third use at a year and a few months old, it wont start. The pull start refuses to crank because the engine freezes at one spot on the turn. Hurricane Sandy is bearing down and over the last 24 hours I've left 1 voice message (when I was able to get through) and have had my call to the service department dropped 3 times after waiting on hold for 5 minutes (dropped after a busy signal after their background music - what kind of switch board does that?). There is no "peak" (when you need it) support for this piece of garbage. I'll have to wait 'till the folks at Generac decide to pick up their phones again after the storm. They must be busy hanging up on people with all the crap they've sold.

Rate and Discover Movies