4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range
To give you a perspective of where I'm coming from, I previously had a 48", 8 burner, double oven Viking range. After moving, I only had room for a 30" range.

Pros:

Published 10 months ago by MikeChi

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Range
This is a great range with all of the features you want including a griddle for the center burner. I use this a lot. The burner controls are also precise and I love the right front burner. The range on it is from power boil to the gentlest simmer. The two ovens also give you a lot of versatility when preparing a meal.

While the range is great, the journey...
Published on January 4, 2013 by mikestuff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range, March 13, 2014
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS

Pros:

-Looks good, This is a freestanding range, not a slide in, but it doesn't have a back piece that sticks up. I hate the way those look. You also have to reach over hot burners to get to the controls on most ranges that have the back piece. This is the only range with 2 ovens that is like this except for the Electrolux which is dual fuel and requires a 220 line. The top of the stove (under the burners) is stainless also. On most ranges it is black even if the front is stainless.

-Huge amount of oven space for 30". It has more than my 48" Viking had.

-Lower oven preheats to 350 in 8 minutes, which is pretty fast.

-2 powerful burners. They are higher BTUs than the Viking burners. The left front power burner can also can go down very low- almost like a candle for anything very delicate.

-Electronics. Most ranges have most of these, but the "professional" ranges like Viking do not. This includes timer, temperature probe cooking, delayed start, etc.

-Lower oven has an electric element on the ceiling to produce more even heat than just the gas burner on the floor. Not sure how this affects usage costs (electric costs more than gas almost everywhere in US for ovens). It is not 220, so maybe the draw isn't than much.

-Self cleaning. Yes, even cheap ranges are self cleaning now, but some professional are not. My Viking wasn't.

-Ball bearing rack. It moves very smoothly.

Cons:

-There is only 1 ball bearing rack in the lower oven. The other 2 (1 in upper, 1 in lower) are standard racks. For this price of stove, it would have been nice for them all to be ball bearing.

-The middle oval burner is not very powerful. It works fine with the included griddle for pancakes, etc., but you can't generate enough heat for many things. If I put my cast iron grill/griddle over it (after replacing the griddle with the grate included), it doesn't get hot enough to do a good sear. Griddle is non-stick and will wear out in time. I use the grate instead of the griddle. It looks better and gives you a place to move hot pots/pans.

-The lower oven is low to the ground. If you use the upper rack, it is fine. If you use the lower, it is awkwardly low. I try and use the upper oven and middle lower oven racks mainly, so not a big issue. If you are old, have back problems, etc., take into account that the bottom of the lower oven is almost at the floor.

-The upper oven can handle pizzas, casseroles, veggies, etc. You can't put anything more than probably 6 inches high. You can't roast a whole chicken. I think for most people, that is not a problem as you have the lower oven which is pretty big. Use the upper for sides, keeping food warm, etc. The broiler is in the upper oven also.

-I wouldn't have minded another power burner. The 2 back burners are pretty low output. I guess 2 powerful burners is pretty good.

Other notes:

-The noise from the fan is nothing. Those that complained have super hearing or a defective stove. It is more quiet than my Bosch dishwasher.

-If you like to bake bread, use the lower convection oven. Do your final rise of the dough in the upper oven which will be warm, but not hot from the preheating of the lower oven.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, April 16, 2012
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS
We have been fortunate with our range-sorry to read the previous reviewer's experience. Haven't noticed problems with excessive fan noise and find this is a pleasure to cook on. Not only does it look great in our kitchen, but we love the true simmer, power boil options. Find that upper oven is useful for rewarming/casseroles/pizza, but prefer to do the real work in the lower oven. We've had this for 7 months now and find this is a great improvement from our standard gas range we had before. I had read before purchasing that the stovetop is easily scratched and difficult to clean. Care is needed when cleaning and when removing/replacing cast iron grates, but I've not found it difficult at all to keep it looking good as new. So far, we are happy with our purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stove!, January 26, 2014
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS
I purchased this online on 28 Dec 2013 and it arrived on 23 Jan 2014. I ordered it shipped to the curb at no extra cost, and my husband and son unpacked it and carried it into the house. I had a local propane vendor come out and change out the orifices for $48.02 which included hooking the stove to the gas line. Not all of the orifices were correct, i.e., the instructions showed 4 orifices alone for the front right burner (3 black, 1 white) and what was shipped were 2 black and 2 white. I called GE and they're sending them via FedEx and should arrive within 1 week of receiving the stove. So until they arrive, I won't be using that burner. The installer had no problems following the attached directions for replacing the natural gas orifices with the propane orifices. He obviously has a lot of experience as it took him less than a minute per orifice on the burners. However, he did have a problem removing the bottoms of the ovens to get to those orifices. Thank Goodness I decided to pay someone to do it. It would have taken me HOURS! For the price, at least $1000 less than Home Depot or Sears, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. I can hear the convection fan when I bake in the lower oven, but it's not annoying. I can cook with four big pots (10-inch diameter) on the stove at once. However, I cannot cook with a 12-inch skillet and an 8-inch diameter pot on the same side at once. I've posted some customer photos of my stove showing that it does not go all the way back against the wall as my gas line prevents it from doing so. However, my last stove stuck out a little and I never noticed. I'll get used to this one soon. I almost purchased the Profile model of this stove; however, the Profile is 39-inches tall. My counter height is 25.75 inches and I didn't wan't my stove to sit about 3 inches above the counters. The Cafe version stands at most 26 inches with the legs fully extended. It's just a tiny bit too low and so my husband cut two boards upon which the stove sits. It's now at the perfect height, i.e, about 1/2 inch above the counter tops. I can see a little bit of the boards under the feet, but I'm just going to paint them the color of my tile and ignore them. My focus is having a very nice stove upon which to cook. I love to cook and having two ovens is a must when I cook for a large family. It's especially useful during family get-togethers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it and it's beautiful!, April 21, 2012
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS
Our oven broke and was not repairable the week before Easter. So I searched the Internet for a replacement. I ordered it unseen based on reviews I saw online. I am not sorry! I like the previous reviewer I love the simmer and the power boil. I don't find it noisy at all. The griddle is awesome too. And it is so easy to clean. Just a really great stove!

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly as desribed, June 29, 2012
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS
Awesome gas range, quality construction, this gas range rocks. I'm still learning how to use the burners since they provide so much more heat then the gas range it replaces. Same for the ovens. I do most baking/broiling in the upper oven since it suits 90% of my needs and have only used the lower oven once in the convection mode. I thought all convection ovens were electric and that I would need 220V power installed. That wasn't clear in the description, but all I needed was the existing 110V and the gas line. This range is like a new car that I can't stop looking at every time I walk into the kitchen. I'm in the midst of a kitchen make-over with new cabinets, counters etc., and this range only adds to the clean, simple lines look that I want for the whole kitchen. But most important is the functionality and this range performs. Only had it for 6 weeks.

The delivery was on-time and I slid the old range out and the new one in. The hookup and levelling (if needed) was dirt simple. See my comments for an update after a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous stove - love it!, June 3, 2013
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS
We've had this range for over 6 months now and absolutely love it. It replaced a 10 year old Thermador dual fuel convection range that was always somewhat of a disappointment. In contrast, this range has so far met our every expectation.

The Power Boil / Simmer burners are great. We really appreciate the high BTUs as we have a lot of large cast iron pans. It boils water as fast as our electric tea kettle. The tri-ring burner provides a wide range of precise temperature control down to a very low simmer. Our only issue has been that it's so low we sometimes forget to turn it off.

The convection oven is great and we've found the probe to be more useful that we expected. The oven pre-heats very fast. Turkey comes out perfectly done and moist. Chicken, Lamb and Pork roasts have been perfect as well. It's been just as good for baking providing a very even heat.

The second oven is also great. Besides the advantage of being able to cook at two different temperatures, it a good size for baking large pizzas. It's tall enough for an angel food cake.

The grill for the center burner has been a pleasant surprise. We thought it might be too small to be practical but it's proven surprisingly useful for grilled cheese, frying a couple of eggs, etc.

We've found the stainless steel top easy to clean and have not had any heat discoloration. It can be easily scratched, however, and we got a few marks on it moving the grates. These scratches can accumulate over time if you aren't careful.

We have not found the fan to be too loud as some of the other reviews have complained. While the noise isn't a problem, I will say that it heats up the back of the stove so you need to be careful what you leave there when you are baking.

We do have a few quibbles that we would like for GE to improve. The timer function is very primitive for a digital timer. You have to key in the time in hrs:min. If you key in 90 minutes it gives an error message. My microwave knows how to handle that. It only shows the seconds during the last minute. I like that it beeps one minute before the timer is done. For a stove with two ovens, it would be nice if there was a dual timer function.

The other addition I would like to see GE to make is to put an indicator light by each burner for when it is on. They have one for the top oven, which is necessary to tell when it is preheated. It would be nice if that feature was on every burner. Of course, you should be able to tell by the position of the knob and the flame but there are times when the flame is so low it is easily overlooked and the burner under the griddle isn't visible. We've caught ourselves leaving burners on accidentally.

The knobs can get very hot if you are doing a lot of baking, almost too hot to touch. This is usually not a problem and only occurs with continuous use.

The self cleaning function works well in both ovens. We were concerned that a gas self cleaning would not be as effective as all electric but that has not been the case.

These are really minor nits and really nothing when compared to all the plusses of this range. We are definitely very pleased and would encourage anyone to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good.., October 28, 2013
ippowus (Rockville, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS
We have had this for about a month and so far can't find anything that we don't like. We've experienced all the nice things said in the positive reviews but have not yet encountered any of the negatives. The front burners are fantastic, and the smaller (upper) oven is a gem. We have been forewarned by other owners that the grates might scratch the stainless finish if not handled with care. It does seem likely as the grates are heavy and somewhat sharp at the edges.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOMERUN! GE has hit the high water mark on this stove., February 21, 2014
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS
This stove replaces my GE glass top. I am using all LP gas. The gas company did the installation. So, let me start from the top - GE gives full use of the top of the stove - (Homerun). The control knobs will not get in the way of the cooking hardware. The burners can ramp up and the trivits are commercial. The design, fit and finish are excellent and functional (Homerun). The interior hardware with sliding mechanism is easy to use (I have double oven because my family is small and sometimes I do not need to run a large oven.
The center burner is just great for the bacon and eggs or to grill burgers (Homerun). Aesthetically the GE Cafe is the fairess of them all - beautiful, robust design, a work of art in form and function (Homerun). I cook from scratch and the top can hold several pots, I love the height. The venting is in the rear and I have a small commercial fan with robust CFM to pull out cooking smell from the kitchen. I will update the performance as I do more cooking on this stove.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Range, January 4, 2013
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS

While the range is great, the journey getting it here was quite an ordeal. The company processed the order and then turned the stove over to the shipper. Over the course of a month, the stove was shipped, lost, found and continued on its journey, but the delivery time was a full month from the order date.

We had an issue with the electronics on the range and GE promptly replaced the range. I can't say enough good things about the GE customer service we received.

Update: We've had this range almost a year now and we are just as happy with it as we were when we bought it. Great looking appliance and all of the bells and whistles you are looking for.

We did have an issue with an ignitor going out. It was originally diagnosed as a failed oven board by an incompetent repairman, but the second repairman got it fixed with no problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stove, April 11, 2013
This review is from: GE Cafe CGS990SETSS
I have read all of the reviews for this stove on lowes, Home Depot and here at amazon. I am a mom of five kids who cooks a lot. This stove is fabulous! It is spacious and easy to clean. I'm not sure what the reviews talking about a loud fan are all about, I have yet to hear that fan and have cooked meals on the stovetop and in the ovens simulteaniously. Perhaps it is that the background noise level in my home is louder;).

This stove is an excellent unit that I thoroughly enjoy cooking on!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›