4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product
Published on September 19, 2005 by Matthew J. Davis

1.0 out of 5 stars Hex screw stripped out FIRST use!!!
Published on December 7, 2012 by Nate

1.0 out of 5 stars Hex screw stripped out FIRST use!!!, December 7, 2012
This review is from: General Tools & Instruments S838 6 Piece 3/16-Inch to 1/2-Inch Drill Stop Assortment (Tools & Home Improvement)
I got these thinking I'd use them all the time in my shop. Well, the very first time I went to use one, I found that the supplied hex key didn't even fit into the screw in the drill stop. Seriously, if you're going to supply a hex key with the product, make sure it is one that fits. After finding one in my own allen wrench set, I tightened the stop down gently. It loosened and slid up the drill bit during use. Note that I had about 15 repeat-depth holes drilled, all inaccurately by this point. When I went to release the stop and go for a piece of tape on the drill bit instead, the hex screw seemed to strip out. The steel is so soft, that the gentle tighten that didn't even keep the stop from moving up the drill bit was enough to completely strip out the hex insert. what a joke. I just wasted several dollars on junk. I can't find replacement hex set screws that small in a hardware store.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works OK, May 12, 2011
The product works just fine. Make sure you put the screw to the correct position.
I found the same model product is much cheaper at HomeDepot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, September 19, 2005
This is a great product and offers you piece of mind when drill those dowel holes. I agree with the other review though; I wouldn't have minded paying a touch more for a case to keep them organized. The bore size seems to be correct. I've only used two of them so far. They slid on very well, demonstarting to me that they were manufactured to within a set of very high standards. They locked on very well and have never slid out of position while working with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars The set is junk, March 3, 2013
Piece of junk! Allen wrench stripped out the set screws the first time I used it. Stop did not hold to drill bit at all, making it useless. Do not recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Soft Metal Means These Break After 1-2 Uses, December 11, 2012
I was thrilled when these arrived in the mail. The price seemed unbeatable, and they fit securely to all of my standard bits. However, the metal in the hex screws is very soft, and after only 1 use the heads were completely stripped -- making these stop collars completely useless.

I was using these in a fine woodworking application. But perhaps if you just wanted to use them as a guide for drilling into drywall, plaster, etc., then you could secure them less tightly to your bits (and thus, hopefully, delay stripping the cheap screws).

5.0 out of 5 stars bobby b, December 17, 2003
By A Customer
They work like they're supposed to. Bore size is good, not too much tightening required. Set screw stays tight. Appear to be bullit-proof & american made to boot. I would like to see them come with a case though & wouldn't mind paying another buck or two for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Might be ok for occasional light use., March 5, 2013
These stops fit nicely on the drill bits but as other reviewers have mentioned the set screw is too soft and easily stripped by the loosely fitting wrench. They are inexpensive and might be OK for very occasional use. For regular use I would not recommend this item. I would not buy this item again.

4.0 out of 5 stars General Tools S838 6 Piece 3/16-Inch to 1/2-Inch Drill Stop Assortment, June 12, 2012
I bought these to use with my drill press as well as my "Dowel-It" dowel jig and originally chose this particular General Tools drill stop set primarily because some of the older reviews stated that they are made in the USA, but sadly that is no longer the case as the package now says made in China on it.
All things considered though, these are still pretty decent drill stops. There are no size markings stamped on the collars, but I don't know if that matters anyway, since you can just eyeball them with the appropriate drill bits. The small socket head set screws provided seem to secure them in place okay, but I find that they sometimes hold better and sit flatter when tightened down against the inner web of the drill bit instead of on the outer edges of the flutes as intended. Since the stock socket head screws on the three largest collars aren't really long enough to do this, I ordered some longer M4 X 8mm screws from McMaster-Carr. There was no actual storage case included with these stops, but they did come in a small clear plastic display tray that I use to keep the set together in the parts drawer on top of my workbench.
Overall though, I think this set was a good value. They are simple to use and work as designed, so should be fine for my needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK - Not for high volume production work., September 4, 2013
I have a hard time using these for drilling. It is hard to get enough torque on the set screw without stripping out either the collar or the hex head of the screw.

For wood these are fine. I use them when boring blind holes. For steel where a little bit more pressure is required, these may not be suitable, especially for production work -- they may slip over time. That said, I'd double check the drill press every 10-12 holes anyway.

Recommended for home hobbiest, work working - pine or soft hardwoods.

Not the best for home machinists, or any critical or high volume production work. Use in hard hardwoods.

Your mileage may vary, but these are OK for low production lumber products, and for their price perform betters than expected.

Also make sure you have something to put them in. They don't come with any sort of real case. It isn't advertised that it does, but its something to think about. I use a smal nylonl zipper bag.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, July 24, 2013
These do the job... but not well. They don't attach securely to any drill bits I own, and I don't expect them to hold up -- the set screw is too fiddly, small and easy to strip. I bought them for one specific job, and they've handled that well.