5.0 out of 5 stars This timer is wonderful and has many alarm options!
Update Aug. 8, 2013: Still going strong!

Original Review:

I received this timer recently and use it all the time now instead of the oven timer. We love it! With someone partially hearing impaired in the family, it has already proven itself reliable.

Published on June 4, 2010 by CatsNQuilts

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought for meditation---great, EXCEPT for...
...the vibration alert: along with the actual vibration, which is fairly strong, it also makes a very strange "be-be-be-beep" series of sounds that I found very annoying rather than just a silent vibration like most cellphones...reminds me of my mother's electric massager!

Published on April 1, 2012 by Eduardo Abdullah Nagasaki

5.0 out of 5 stars This timer is wonderful and has many alarm options!, June 4, 2010
This review is from: General Tools & Instruments TI150 3-in-1 Timer for the Visually and Hearing Impaired (Tools & Home Improvement)
Update Aug. 8, 2013: Still going strong!

Original Review:

The alarm is loud enough in my opinion, but I place it on the metal hood over the stove and when the alarm goes off, the vibrating and ringing cause an even louder sound. Everybody can hear it! LOL!

Set up was very easy. I just had to remove the back cover by grabbing the clip and sliding it downwards. Then remove the 2 strips of vinyl covering the batteries' connection points, replace the cover and it's ready. It uses 2 AAA batteries.

The timer is easy to set. You just set the time, then hit the big "start/stop" button and the little "H" and "M" on either side of the timer display flashes. To clear the timer, just hit both the "h" and the "m" buttons simultaneously. To stop the alarm or to turn off the timer before the alarm sounds just hit the "start/stop" button.

On the back of the timer, there are 4 different on/off switches: flashing light alarm, sound alarm, vibrating alarm, and one for hours/minutes or minutes/seconds.

When I set the timer on my desk, it moved around when the alarm went off but when I turned off the vibrating function, the timer didn't move around.

If you need to turn off both the sound and vibrating alarms and use only the flashing light alarm, the light is quite noticeable by itself if placed nearby in your line of sight (within a foot or so). This would be very handy if you're near a sleeping baby! :) But if you clip it on a breast pocket, I would use both the flashing light and vibrating alarms. The vibrating alarm does make a sound, but it's not as loud as the ringing alarm.

Very happy with this purchase. Highly recommended for anyone needing a timer, especially for hearing and/or sight impairments. The timer has an attached magnet, a little pull out stand, and a clip.

Should any problem arise as we use this timer over time, I will revise my review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality; serves intended purpose; attractive, December 5, 2011
Reviewer 77 (Elkins Park, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I wanted a discreet timer that would alert me every hour to step away from my desk and walk up and down the fire tower stairs for a couple of minutes to improve circulation. I wanted a silent vibrating timer that I could clip to my waistband or belt or slip into my pocket so that the sound wouldn't disturb my coworkers or alert them every time I left my desk.

The timer is an attractive matte silver color with grey buttons and a small brand name logo at the top (thankfully not "kitchen timer" white with a loud logo). It seems well built. The "start" and "stop" buttons were not accidentally pressed when I slipped the timer into my pocket. The clip works well. The magnet works well. The stand works well. The numbers are large and easily read. The light flashes a nice bright red. The volume is good quality without being piercing. The vibration is easily felt. However, the vibrating mode is NOT SILENT. It can be heard by anyone standing next to you or in your work area, even if it's in your pocket. It's less disruptive than the volume mode, but it is definitely not silent. However, I will keep the timer because it IS silent in the light flashing mode, and that makes this worthwhile for me.

When you try your unit, you may think the batteries are dead; they are not. You must open the battery compartment and remove the small strip of plastic that you'll see covering one end of the battery. Once this is removed and the battery reinserted, the unit works. I am writing this after testing the unit; however, I don't know how long the batteries last. I don't know if they run down quickly. If you won't be using your unit for a while or need it only for special occasions, you may want to reinsert that plastic tab on the end of the battery again; you will notice that the number display disappears when you do this. I saved that strip and store it in between the two batteries in the unit, in case I want to use it and save battery life.

There are buttons on the front and buttons on the back of the unit. The front buttons are easily pressed. The back buttons are tiny and must be pushed up and down, and they require moderate pressure. You will need at least a little bit of fingernail to move them, as they are somewhat recessed. It is not a struggle, as long as you have some fingernail (or the point of a click pen, with the point retracted) to work with.

Bottom line, I am disappointed that the vibration is not silent (hence the four stars), but otherwise very happy with the purchase.

Note that the first unit I received was sealed in the original package, but when I opened it the clip on the back was detached with the clip, spring, and pin all separate. I contacted Amazon and they shipped me a new one within a couple of days no charge; however, I will have to return the defective unit within a month (they credit for postage) to ensure that I'm not charged for both. I was happy with their customer service; it was hassle-free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Satisfied, August 17, 2010
My hearing isn't great. I bought a couple of timers recently and was disappointed with them. I could barely hear them in a quiet room. With music or news playing forget it. I did a Google product search for "timer for hearing impaired" and found this one. It has solved my problem nicely. I can be working at my computer with iTunes blaring and it gets my attention. I like the instructions that come with it. But really, the unit is so well designed that instructions are hardly required. I like how you can set it to read in hours and minutes or minutes and seconds. Setting it up is very intuitive. I think this is a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Timer, May 30, 2012
Rainbow Dash (Houston, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
The flashing light is quite bright and easily catches my attention. Likewise, the audio alarm is fairly loud (it's a fast chirping sort of beep). Unfortunately the vibration is also on the loud side, so be aware if you were hoping for something discreet. That said, the best feature in my eyes is the fact that you can turn all of the alarms off and have a completely silent timer. This makes it perfect for pacing yourself during standardized tests (I'll be using it on the bar exam).

It's quite small (about the size of a chicken egg) and the display is likewise on the small side. It's perfect if sitting in front of you on a desk (especially tilted with the kickstand built into the clip), but it might be a bit hard to see the time remaining from across a room.

Dimensions: 2.9" x 1.9" x 1.2"
Weight: 2 oz (57g)

Other info: It uses 2 AAA batteries, which are included. For some reason it is capped at 19 hours 59 minutes or 99 minutes 59 seconds. Oh, and although it doesn't say so in the description, it also functions as a stopwatch and has a simple memory feature (you can pause and resume, and when it finishes and you hit stop it'll go back to the last time you set).

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes quiet is a good thing, July 29, 2011
I use this timer when checking students' reading speed. The blinking light alerts me while not disrupting others working at their seats. I also appreciate that it uses AAA batteries (I use rechargeables.) I've had this timer for several years now and it still works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Timer For Years, November 7, 2011
I like the clean, efficient interface; its the type of interface that Steve Jobs would have approved of. It fits nicely in the hand. I love the ability to choose a more discrete alarm notification. I usually just leave it on vibrate. if you want it louder then just set it on vibrate plus regular alarm and then stick its magnet onto something that resonates like a metal jar; then the sound will be significantly amplified. This model has been around for years under different labels, and it still has no other competition out there. I wish the outer plastic was more modern, stronger and less brittle, but its fine. I've bought this many times over the years; this time I received a timer that was silver, not white. That doesn't bother me at all, as I actually wish I could collect these things in a variety of different colors, but the picture on the website would lead one to believe that they are receiving something white. My other identical timers that I purchased in the past were all white; I also have a red one that was discontinued several years ago. The bottom line is that this is a terrific product. I couldn't imagine anyone who WOULDN'T eventually find the perfect use for it.
UPDATE 5/12/12:
Yes, still a great timer, but feels a little more cheaply made than in the past. Magnets aren't as strong either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought for meditation---great, EXCEPT for..., April 1, 2012

I bought this as a meditation timer, hoping to use the flashing light and/or vibration alarm instead of a loud beep like most timers, which I find too jarring a transition. So it only serves 1 out of 2 intended functions, hence the 3 stars. I'll have to use only the flashing light alarm, which will force me to keep my eyes open while sitting I guess, lol.

Otherwise, it's a good timer...feels sturdy, I like the size and feel and looks of it, and most importantly the buttons work much much better than those on my Blue Moon Timer and Stopwatch which ruin an otherwise good product (see my review). The audible alarm should be ok for most folks, not too loud and not too quiet, just not suited for my usage as a meditation timer. The four sliding switches on the back are wonderful, making it exquisitely easy to use unlike the Blue Moon timer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay timer, January 29, 2011
I have been looking for a timer with a good light. This is okay if I use the vibrator and the light at the same time. The sound is too high pitch for me to hear. The light is a small red light flashing but it's not really noticable. It's best if I sit and read next to the timer. If it's on my belt or in my pocket I won't noticed it at all. I would like it better if it had a stronger light and a fog horn sound to really let me know if my lovely cookies are done!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, October 24, 2012
I really like this timer because of all of the options. There are little slider switches on the back where you can turn the light, vibrate, and alarm features on and off. I was a little confused when I first looked at the pictures of this product. The buttons you use to set the time are H/M and M/S. Hours/Minutes, Minutes/Seconds. There is a switch on the back of the timer where you set which of these you want to use- either hours with minutes, or minutes with seconds. I find that the alarm isn't loud enough to hear from the next room if I also have the vibrate function on. If the vibrate option is off, the alarm seems to be much louder. That being said, the vibrate function itself is fairly loud.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT for visually/hearing impaired, May 28, 2012
NOT for hearing Impaired. VERY low sounds, can hardly hear it in your hand, certainly cannot hear it from across the room!!Pour design for visually impaired-if it is lower than eye level you can see the red light, if it is eye level or higher, you will never see the light. Would have rated less than 1 star but system would not let me! Must return for refund.

$19.99 $14.75