5.0 out of 5 stars Someone wake me from this dream

3.0 out of 5 stars One step back
Published on March 15, 2006 by B. Driscoll

3.0 out of 5 stars One step back, March 15, 2006
This review is from: Generation (Audio CD)
As an avid fan of their first, I awaited Audio Bully's latest with fiendish anticipation. Given how fresh alot of their first stuff was, this second album was just a little bit of a let down. Whilst the laid back beat stuff is good, the more up-beat stuff is nothing compared to the first. They seem to have reverted back to the god-awful mid-nineties Robert Miles style of cresecendo tunes, which was something of a step-back given how progressive their beats were in their first album. Worth buying if you're a fan, just not as good as the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone wake me from this dream, January 24, 2006
This review is from: Generation (Audio CD)
Having counted down the days until the release of their latest cd from months prior, you can imagine the sheer joy of receiving my package in the mail today. When I popped my cd into my stereo I was expecting big things, and honestly it has exceded my expectations. So far, "Keep on moving" is my favorite even though it's one of their more laid back tracks, but that's subject to change because the whole cd is a breath of fresh air. I don't think it's going to replace their previous cd but it comes in at a close second.

5.0 out of 5 stars I used to hate rap, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Generation (Audio CD)
I used to hate rap, but then I discovered British rappers, who actually use rules of grammar and have a story to tell with each story, AND WHO HAVE SUPERIOR RHYTHMS instead of the same ol' beatbox junk. These guys take cues from classic rock, jazz, house, disco, techno, and mix it together for totally compelling sounds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio Bullys: Generation (astralwerks) - music, 3 stars, February 9, 2006
This review is from: Generation (Audio CD)
The dance generation these days are sick of hearing Djs today. They want authetic instruments these days. That is what DFA brought them. But with a name like Audio Bullys', you better not expect much form the Audio Bullys but a musical challenge for those who had heard Electronic music, and the fact that they will force you onto the dance floor. Generation is where they try to show off their talents in Electronica, but it turns out their talents can salso be the worst of their expectations sometimes. You guys already know not to listen to the quite terrible remix of Nancy Sinatra's "Bang Bang", called "Shot You Down", right? When I first listened to them, I started thinking, "Is this really the best they can do? Take a song, cut it in half a bit, and then remix the rest?" The song sounds incredibly lazy, even for the sound effects for the guns.

However this does nothing for my expectations to hear the rest of Generation, a collection of Audio Bullys' latest mixture of Electronica and Hip-Hop done to fair amounts of perfection. Fair amounts Especially, since the duo created a masterpiece with "We Don't Care". The rest of the album tries to span and do better than Ego War. Either that or just trying to get better exposure as a British Electronic Act. Their song "Keep on Moving" tries to show a rapper's skills to pull of an element of The Streets Mike Skinner never knew he had.

"Bring Light" sounds a bit like a lackluster Gorillaz upstage, if it wasn't for the "When the Beat Goes On" sample, and "Generation" is interesting for a Mr. Oizo concept album but on this one it will take a bit of time to get into. Their latest song "I'm In Love" tries to play the sensitive part, but the heavy background ruins the mood just a little bit. Even the occasionally ear-catching "Struck by the Sound" overdoes the Pink Panther Jazz-Dance embrace too easily.

The approximately 60 minute album may appeal to Hip-Hop Instrumental fans, Electronica fans, those who are used to hearing unclassifiable music or those looking for new music but will not appeal to those who expect better than that. And the most efficient fuel Audio Bullys ever use for their stuff is musical acceptance and going over your expectations for a fresh new Electronic prototype of a sensation. After all, the Audio Bullys promise to make you dance no matter what genre they are trying to cripwalk, moon walk, soft-shoe or just get nuts through.

Audio Bullys always promise the best of themselves and push themselves to bring it to you. And that is what "I Won't Let You Down" tries to say to all of us. And it is that type of force that they didn't have to harness. But because they did and this album clearly shows with plenty of variety on your plate and left to waste a bit, the album is a bit on the "good but not as great as we had hoped, and not really as bad as we had hoped, either" section.

Rating: 6.5/10

...and for the second reviewer. Yes. There is 17 tracks, not 14.

2.0 out of 5 stars what went wrong?, February 17, 2006
Evil Dave (San Francisco (originaly UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generation (Audio CD)
I am still at a loss to figure out how the audiobullys went from producing one of the best dance record of recent times in ego war with its gravely vocal,big beats and well layered original use od samples to this piss poor effort. i heard shot you down last summer and while it followed the same format of face in the clouds it was still a bangin tune and i hoped that it would set a precedent for the rest of the album. needless to say it did'nt, this is the only stand out track on the album the rest of it doesn't even come close. the only other highlight of the album is an apperence from suggs (formerly of madness)who spouts a few classic lines like "i was casauly sorry". thats how i felt after spending money on this album

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing album that really surprised me., May 10, 2006
This review is from: Generation (Audio CD)
I'm a DJ (most house, breaks, etc..) so i'm always given new music by friends. Was given this album and was totally 'wowed' by it. Clean groovy beats with great vocals (almost STREETS like). 'i'm in love' and 'shot down' are incredible tracks.

Generation [Explicit]