Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Generation NeXt Parenting: A Savvy Parent's Guide to Getting it Right
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

87%
13%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on November 3, 2006
More than a "tell you how" parenting guide, Generation NeXt Parenting is an "encourage" you parenting guide. Tricia Goyer, the author, reveals many of the reasons why GenX parents react in certain ways and she offers simple ways to improve. Her advice and encouragement is always accompanied with a biblical reference to tie the author's words to the Word.

The author gives lots of interesting facts about the different generations and their different characteristics. Another interesting feature is all the quotes from other GenX parents giving their point-of-view. In additon, with all the 80s music lyric references, how could the GenX member not "feel right at home?"

The book is well written in simple language. It doesn't come from some "too hard to read" technical perspective, but from the perspective of a fellow struggling GenX parent. Ms. Goyer notes that she too struggles with parenting issues at times, so the reader is placed (not beneath) but right beside the author...as we all are seeking to be the parents that God wants us to be.

A study guide (by chapter) is included at the end of the book for a more indepth personal look at each chapter...and each section complete with a number of biblical references for study.

There's so much great information in this book!

Tricia ends the book on such a positive note that you can't help but be proud to be a part of GenX and encouraged to be the best GenX parent that you can be!
on November 16, 2006
I'm quite a bit older than the X Generation, but I enjoyed this book. If you're trying to raise godly children in a world that pulls them the other way, Generation NeXt Parenting was written for you. The writer makes no claim to being perfect. In fact,she hangs her imperfections out for everyone to see. She also presents the characteristics of her generation in an apt and entertaining manner. I think most people will find a bit of themselves in this book. They will also find good advice, tips, scripture, and welcome solutions to real problems.

This is a different kind of parenting book. It doesn't lecture, just presents ideas that have been tried and proven they will work. Tricia Goyer has played an active part in parenting programs and young mom's groups. Her Generation NeXt Parenting is a down to earth book filled with advice from a woman who's been there and knows from experience what works and what doesn't. Highly recommended.
on October 31, 2006
"Where's the beef?" Right here, in this contemporary compendium filled with helpful advice for Generation X'ers, the generation born from 1961 to 1981. Whether you are an X'er yourself or from another generation, you'll find tons of rock-solid wisdom set in an easy-to-read format. Tricia Goyer peppers the book with questions answered not only by experts in the field, but by parents in the trenches. The advice offered is practical and down to earth, but based always on Biblical principles. With Goyer's steady encouragement through the book, she helps us realize that we can make the changes that will help to change and fortify us as parents. "Why didn't I think of that?" easily turns to, "I can do that." Goyer's light-hearted style makes you want to try the tips in the book, and to work out the Digging Deeper Study Guide questions at the end of the book.

Many of the references evoke a right old trip down memory lane. You can't help but smile and reminisce. Each chapter in Generation NeXt Parenting also begins with a quote from a popular song of the 70's and 80's. From the get-go, with the cover picture of a black Trans Am with a Blondie bumper sticker, an `80s RUL' license plate, and a `Baby on Board' displayed, you know you'll be in for a treat. Goyer slips in fun facts and stats mixed with present day concerns, like "How much Nintendo is too much?" Goyer offers faith-based answers to things we all struggle with. In the chapter Faith, not Fear, Goyer brings it down to this question: "Of course we believe in a victorious life eternal, but what about faith for victorious life in the present?" And, really, isn't that what we all strive for? It's right to keep our eyes forward and focused towards the prize at the end of the race, but it's the race itself that we have to keep in training for on a daily basis. And Generation NeXt Parenting is a great tool to train with, hand in hand with your Bible. This guide is truly a plethora of practical help. I highly, highly recommend this book.
on February 5, 2007
For a few years now I've been a fan of Goyer's novels, with their realistic details, believable characters, and fast pacing. "Generation Next Parenting" is my first introduction to her non-fiction skills, and I'm suitably impressed. Here, too, Goyer deals with believable scenarios and honest struggles that Christian parents face.

I am the father of two daughters, ages 12 and 14. My wife and I have parented from the onset with the belief that we want to prepare our kids for life, not just protect them from it. Goyer finds that balance in this easy-to-read book, offering encouragement and philosophical angles to raising children. The pages are rich with spiritual insight, Scriptural foundations, and bits of humor. The quotes from Gen-X bands (Chicago, Gloria Estefan, Talking Heads, etc) add a light touch to these sometimes serious issues.

If you're struggling with your own generational parenting style, if you're wondering how well you are doing in God's eyes, or if you're just interested in a wise, yet never pompous, guide to "getting it right," then Tricia Goyer's book is for you. (And don't forget to check out here great fiction titles!)
on July 12, 2007
If you can name the members of the "Brat Pack", wore leg warmers, or can still recite the lyrics to a Cyndi Lauper song, then this book is for you. Children of the 1980s are fondly referred to as Generation X. Tricia Goyer's book Generation NeXt Parenting explores the parenting styles of this generation. Tricia's insight from her own childhood lead her to change her parenting style to separate her from her baby boomer parents. This book is easy to pick up and start reading from where you left off. She has a style of writing, which incorporates original text, Biblical reference, quotes from other parents, and 156 other cited authors. She is able to bring each chapter together with an 80's song lyric which brought back a lot of my teen memories. In this day and age we are inundated with an overwhelming amount of how-to books. However, this book offers a practical approach to parenting with a study guide to develop your parenting skills. I would recommend it to fellow Gen X'ers.
~Heidi of Chadron MOPS
on June 26, 2007
Okay, I admit it--I'm not a Generation X mom; I'm a boomer mom, but the mom of several in the next generation and now the grandma of one and one-to-be. However, I found Tricia Goyer's book engaging, immensely helpful, understanding and just plain fun. I'm giving it to my daughter--who often feels the older parenting books just don't "fit." The author has done extensive research on parenting, has lived the ups and downs of being a mom to several kids (one from her teens), and has studied and incorporated the wisdom of scripture. I highly recommend this book.
on January 31, 2008
This is a great book even if you are not a Generation Xer. This book will help you understand the cuurrent generation of paretnts. If you happen to be a Generation Xer and a parent, you will love this book. It will help you understand yourself (Oh, that's why I do that.) It will even help you understand why those from other generations don't understand you. Sitting down with this book is like sitting down and talking with a close freind.