Most helpful positive review
5 of 5 people found the following review helpful
on May 27, 2012
I've only made soy milk so far. It works well. I wouldn't say it's quiet, though (though I suppose it's not horribly loud - except for the beeping, but I guess that could be a good thing, it's impossible not to know when to unplug it). I like that the heating element is not attached to the head of the machine.
I make at least one batch a day of soy milk. I'll update when I use the other functions.
The soymilk tastes the same to me when using dry or soaked beans. I prefer to soak my beans, helps get rid of potential gassiness/ toxins from the beans. I suspect it's also easier on the machine if the beans are presoaked. I think it takes 20-25 minutes to make milk with the soaked beans, but that's an estimate.
Some tips/ comments:
1) Depending on the amount of beans used and the amount of water, the unit can take awhile to cool off. I think the company suggests 30 minutes between batches, to let the machine rest. I wait until the motor area feels cool to the touch, which is usually longer than the suggested time. I've never had a problem with the machine doing it that way.
2) There will be residue (okara) in your soymilk if you only use the included strainer. If that bothers you , putting cheesecloth or pantyhose over the included strainer removes the residue.
3) I appreciate the effort put into the manual's translation into Enlgish, but found some parts confusing (like the soaked bean measurement.) I ended up using two of the measuring cups for soaked soy beans (the cup included with the unit) and filling the water to the maximum line. This makes a rich-tasting milk. It tastes too watery to me if I add less beans. I don't know what this measures out to in cups, maybe 1/3 cup US measurement or scant 1/2 c? Sorry, lost my 1/3 cup measure, so I can't be sure :)
4) I was also initially confused by the beeping. The manual says it beeps (well, it actually says it plays music) when it's done. The machine grinds and then rests. Right before every grind, it beeps once or maybe it's 2 really quick beeps back-to-back. It will do that before every grind. When it's done, the beeps continuously and doesn't stop until you unplug it.
5) There is no English translation of the recipe book. However, customer service for the company directed me to their website, which has a few recipes translated into English.
6) Clean the machine immediately after use (as quickly as you are able to move) and use cold water. It takes longer/ is harder to get off if you use hot water. The okara will stick to the machine like crazy if you don't clean it right away.
I love making my own soymilk and tofu - tofu tastes great fresh! I also bake with the okara (that pulp left over after soymilk making), it adds fluffiness.