5.0 out of 5 stars This book gives the WHY behind Generation iY
Alright, for those of you who don't have a lot of time, I've got the short and sweet review:

Published on October 4, 2010 by Timothy R. Milburn

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting but not so deep
The book is interesting enough and serves well the purpose of explaining how the generation iY is and how we need to approach them. I was expecting, however, a deeper analysis of how this generation came to be. Perhaps this was not the intention of the book.
Published 5 months ago by emiton

5.0 out of 5 stars This book gives the WHY behind Generation iY, October 4, 2010
This review is from: Generation iY: Our Last Chance to Save Their Future (Paperback)

On the cover of the book, Generation iY, there's a quote from Mark Bauerlein that calls this book "a must-read guide for parents, mentors, and teachers..." I wholeheartedly agree. So much so that I'm encouraging my boss to buy 30 copies for our Student Development personnel and everyone on our University Administrative Cabinet. This is more than a book, it's a resource! Buy two copies and give one to a parent, mentor, teacher, or coach.

There you go. If you're still reading, then lets dig a little deeper into Dr. Tim Elmore's latest book.

I'll start by telling you that the beginning of the book, in fact, the premise that Elmore writes this book from...is depressing. It's not good news. Elmore believes this generation, Generation iY (those kids born after 1990) are in trouble - for a variety of reasons.

The first chapters of Generation iY paint a picture of a generation headed for a trainwreck. Elmore describes the wide variety of influences that have resulted in a group of young people who are "overwhelmed, overconnected, overprotected, and overserved."

I've got to be honest, what I like about the book I also struggled with: it starts with such a bleak picture. It's not that I haven't seen some of these tendencies in the students that walk the halls of my University, I just have a little bit of difficulty with the particularly negative generalizations that seem to plague this generation. Perhaps it's because the same thing happened to my generation, Generation X. We were the slackers and the latch key kids. When the books started to come out that told how bad we were, I wanted to do everything I could to prove the sociologists wrong.

Of course, it doesn't matter if you like reality or not. If anything, this book is a wake-up call to those who might think that everything is coming up roses with these students. Elmore admits he doesn't know the future, he just wants to make sure the potential of a bleak future doesn't become a reality. Every generation will face it's share of difficulties and crisis to overcome. But as it is with each emerging generation, we were never their age. This books helps us see what kinds of obstacles this generation will have to overcome.

This book is really well-researched. This is why I had a like/dislike relationship with the beginning of this book. It provides a clear, concise, and compelling (great "C" words) view of this generation. It helps me get inside the heads of the students, their families, and the society in which they grew up. But it's more than just information. This book is chock-full of application. For every question Elmore raises, he spends time answering with solid, practical advice.

The book is extremely readable. Real-life illustrations, quotations, and bullet-points keep the book moving at a user-friendly pace. This why it's a highly recommended read for anyone who has these students living in their home (I have four!) or work with them.

There are a lot of additional resources that support and supplement the book at [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good information for those that must deal with the latest generation, however the situation is not as dire as stated, September 21, 2010
As a part-time college instructor, I see the characteristics of the latest generation of college students on a near daily basis. At any given time, roughly ten percent of the students are paying more attention to their cell phones during a lecture than they are to me. It is almost impossible to keep their attention for anything more than an hour and the most common complaint that I receive is that I don't show them precisely what to do before giving them lab assignments in the introductory computer classes.
As a former volunteer coach for several years in youth soccer and softball, I have experienced the wrath of parents that believe that their child was either treated unfairly or was the victim of an unfair play or official ruling. During the last two years that I was a soccer coach, the organization had to institute a policy that the parents had to be on the opposite side of the field as the teams. This was so that the players and coaches did not have to listen to the torrent of criticism emanating from the parents. I decided to give it up when the league instituted training sessions for referees on how to handle a physical assault by a parent.
I also served as a volunteer judge for contests such as science fairs and so have a lot of experience with "helicopter parents", those that hover next to you as you meet with their children, ask them questions and then write down your findings. I had parents blatantly looking over my shoulder and breathing down my neck trying to see what I was writing.
Elmore mentions these situations as part of his "problems with the latest generation" discussions. On the unfortunate side, nothing that can be done with the children can eliminate the parent that will be no way other than obnoxiously aggressive. However, the upside is that there will be a natural reaction to this, the current generation is only a few years from being parents themselves and the natural negative reaction to parental actions that were disliked will tend to make the children less hovering.
Furthermore, humanity has a history of considering the latest generation as being one that is in danger of being lost, in the 1960's there was the touted "generation gap" that proved to be less than proclaimed. If you read some accounts of the 1920's and the flappers, it will also sound similar. The latest generation always manages to right itself and there is no real reason to think that the iY one will be any different.
The real value of this book consists of the information about how high school and college teachers and business people can deal with the current generation that is moving into adulthood. There are real differences in mannerisms and expectations and if you are to work with them you have to have some understanding of those differences. The latest generation is used to dynamic and overwhelming visual input, rapid changes and gratification and they possess a noble streak of idealism. Young people are interested in working in a job that makes a difference; the problem is that they want to see the difference taking place very quickly. I disagree somewhat with Elmore, this is more a reflection of the modern world than he is willing to admit. The modern business world functions 24/7 with powerful companies rising high and falling fast due to rapid changes in economic forces that can take place anywhere in the world.
It is quite true that the college graduate of the twenty-first century will work at many jobs in their lifetime, however this is a modern reality and has little to do with the unsettled nature of the modern young adult. The days when a job was secure for decades are most likely gone forever and only the agile of mind will be able to stay employed by changing skills and positions. Therefore, Elmore overstates the claim that the inevitable job-hopping is due to impatience on the part of the latest generation of workers. This is also amplified by the fact that the one-income household is a thing of the past; in fact there have been articles that the three-income family is becoming the norm. With both parents having to work to maintain their living conditions, a change in the employment status of one may force the other to have to change jobs to compensate. I know of couples where one losing their health insurance forced the other to switch to a lower paying job with health benefits in order to provide the health coverage for the family.
While there are difficulties between the generations, the situation is not as dire as Elmore states. Crying doom over the latest generation is a long-standing tradition and much of what the iY generation is doing is a response to what the world is doing to them. Nevertheless, the book is worth reading as long as you pass the content through these two critical filters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read if you find yourself swimming in an "iY" pool like me!, August 13, 2010
As a business owner (Chick-fil-A Owner/Operator) with 54 team members (32 of them Generation iY) and father of 3 girls, I find Tim's book very timely and extremely relevant. As a former military officer, substitute teacher, college pastor, Chaplain candidate, Chaplain candidate recruiter, and life coach, I speak from experience when I say this is a must read for all parents, military officers, non-commissioned officers, Chaplains, military recruiters, teachers, life coaches, pastors, and employers (especially Chick-fil-A Operators!) that interact with this generation on any level. Additionally, if you are a hiring manager or business owner, I believe this book will help you select great talent. I literally interview hundreds of Gen iY applicants a year and as a result of reading this book, I totally revised my interview questions for iY applicants to help determine their level of "emotional intelligence" and hire only the best applicants. If you are like me and you find yourself swimming in an "iY" pool, and you want to help save their future, then this book will help you better understand how to be intentional and challenging in their lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Call to Action, October 11, 2010
In Generation iY , Dr. Tim Elmore has written an extremely insightful book about students who have been born since 1990 and their culture. As one who works with this generation on a daily basis, in many different areas, the book has helped me understand those I work with in a new way and how I can best help them become the leaders they can be.

Understanding how Generation iY has grown up and what that means in terms of understanding how they relate to the world is invaluable for everyone who works with students born since 1990. In the book Dr. Elmore not only shows why the age of adolescence seems to be moving back but also demonstrates how the reader can relate to the young person today and what can be done to ensure that every member of Generation iY enters adult life with the best chance possible to be a success.

In addition, Dr. Elmore has done an excellent job in Generation iY in demonstrating how to communicate to the current generation in high school and college. This more than anything in the book has helped me to understand what needs to be done in order to effectively communicate to the iYs so that they hear what they need to know for their future.

The best thing about the book is the sense of urgency that Dr. Elmore puts into every page. It has become clear to me that we cannot wait for Generation iY to enter the workforce to begin to mold them into the leaders they will need to be. We MUST start now; we would be remiss if we miss this opportunity to show this generation what they can accomplish and help them achieve it.

Parents, Teachers, Pastors, College Faculty and staff, managers, business people, anyone who even comes into contact with Generation iY should read this book. If you do, not only will you understand Generation iY better, but you will put the book down ready to pick up your weapon and join the battle for the future of Generation iY.

5.0 out of 5 stars a MUST read for parents, September 20, 2011
"Generation iY" is a MUST read for every parent with children who are growing up on technology. The book provides thought provoking insights and suggestions on how to manage the technology overload we are often faced with.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read 1 book on GenY, this should be the book, January 24, 2013
Sanity in SF (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Of the more than 10 books I have read on Millenials/Gen Y, this was my favorite by an order of magnitude. Unlike many of the books that wax rhapsodic about Millennials/Gen Y, this book has no political angle. But in terms of values & perspective, everything suggests the author is rather conservative because of the refreshing absence of utopian cheerleading. Among all the books I've read so far, Generation iY stands out for the following qualities:

1) It offers the broadest, most universally useful applications: for teachers, employers, parents, mentors, colleagues, coaches, politicians, advertisers, social activists, sales people, fundraisers, etc.

2) The author provides a thoughtful, mature & deeply compassionate discussion of Gen iY's strengths & weaknesses and how to help them develop to their full potential.

3) There is a blessed absence of trivializing pop-psychology diagnoses.

4) The book is written from a perspective that implicitly treats Gen Y/Gen iY as composed of individuals (vs as an indiscriminate & undifferentiated cohort).

5) The author effectively communicates genuine concern for the good of the youth who compose Gen Y/Gen iY -- as well as for the impact they will have upon our society at large.

6) The author strikes a careful balance in his approach: neither deflecting legitimate exploration of deficiencies, nor blaming Gen Y/Gen iYers for them.

7) The book offers straight-forward clear-eyed analysis for the purpose of problem-solving.

8) Wisdom and useful insights shine though this rich & thoughtful work.

Generation iY complements another book (Y-Size Your Business: How Gen Y Employees Can Save You Money and Grow Your Business) which offered numerous specific, actionable examples and Best Practices.

Generation iY takes a further step back and offers a valuable conceptual roadmap for working with, mentoring and developing the maturity & leadership skills of Gen Y/Gen iYers.

If mature adults want to influence & help Gen Y/Gen iY -- who emerge from over-indulgent boomer parenting & the current public education system largely in thrall to ideas that do not serve them well -- this book and this author model a robustly authentic & proven successful approach.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Millenial elephant from a business-world perspective, June 15, 2011
This book is not only easy to read but well-worth reading. Each topic begins with a summary followed by sections that discuss the topic in detail. The author, Tim Elmore,has worked in business and industry for many years doing leadership development. He sees Generation X or the Millenials through this experience. He describes a generation that has been raised to be highly confident in their ability to achieve but without learning to cope with disappointment or deferred gratification. He sees their parents hovering over this generation, guiding their careers, removing obstacles, and even intruding in interviews. This generation emerges as highly talented and motivated, expecting challenging assignments, positive management suppport and recognition, and rapid promotions. The flaw is failure to accumulate in-depth experience and failure to tolerate the hard knocks and lack of recognition. He documents a tendancy of the males of this generation to retreat from negative experience in the business world to the safety of the parental home and an electronic world. Elmore's central concern is that the large Boomer generation is beginning to retire, that Generation X is too small to replace them, and that Generation iY will be unprepared to take over leadership in American and the world. Elmore ends the book with a look at the style of mentoring that is required to develop leadership and bring this young generation to its potential. Good management stuff!

Generation Y is the largest (78 million and counting) and most diverse generation in America. For another look at this same generation from a different perspective, I recommend in-tandem reading of "The Millennials" by Thom and Jess Rainer. They look at this generation through in-depth interview about their values and attitudes and find a number of positive and encouraging qualities.

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this book for everyone with iY kids, July 8, 2014
So far I am loving this book. Very informative and scary at the same time. I recommend this book for everyone with iY kids!

5.0 out of 5 stars not because the book is not good but hoping that people don't need motivation to do ..., July 7, 2014
Dear Tim, I read quite a number of self help books and never have written a review for one, not because the book is not good but hoping that people don't need motivation to do what they are supposed to do. In my humble opinion, there is never a bad self help book.However today, i searched for your book in amazon,to write my first ever review for a book or should i say BIBLE (not in religious sense) for all the parents or parents to be. Fantastic presentation of thoughts and facts. No prejudice, you did a great service to people by writing this book. I just finished half of your book but could not stop myself sharing the excitement. Brilliant work and definitely anyone who reads this open will think different and their generation will change for better. Thank you Tim.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sad, but true commentary on Generation Y., July 2, 2014
A sad, but true commentary on Generation Y.

Generation iY: Our Last Chance to Save Their Future
Generation iY: Our Last Chance to Save Their Future by Tim Elmore (Paperback - August 4, 2010)
$16.99 $12.78