Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Generational Sins
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 30, 2011
I began this book not knowing very much about the subculture of the dominant/submissive, but by the time I was finished with it, I felt I was well schooled on the subject by an expert. The fact that the lesson was wrapped in an enthralling story about people I grew to care about, made it even more effective.
The story follows parallel time lines - one chronicling David and Kat meeting and getting to know each other, and the other telling the story of their present-day predicament. But what makes this story unique is that the point of view switches between David and Kat for each chapter, allowing the reader to understand fully how each is reacting to the circumstances before them.
At its heart, this is a love story. It's probably a different kind of love than most people are used to, but the author guides the reader through it, clearly explaining why the characters act like they do.
If dominate/submissive is your thing, this book will strike many familiar chords. If not, it will provide a clear explanation of what it's all about. And there's also the added bonus of hot sex throughout.
Ms. Blair is a very skilled writer, and draws the reader into the story, making you care about this couple and the tribulations they are going through. Well done.
on May 4, 2011
Samantha Blair demonstrates superb literary talent in Generational Sins. The story weaves from present to past in a parallel time line with both David (H) and Katlyn (h) telling their own story. It flows smoothly from beginning to end. Great character development including the secondary characters as well; David's abusive/sadistic father, his victim/survivor mother and Katlyn's former Dom. I felt like a voyeur while reading this. It was very hard to put down. I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next. The book contains very explicit steamy/erotic sex, bdsm and violence. The book just seemed so real and raw which is rare in books of this genre. This erotic romance is definitely a keeper for me.
on February 22, 2012
Incestuest rape is a bit much for me. Hard to believe I made it past the opening scene, really, though it was like not being able to avoid watching a train wreck. And needs a new proofreader. Lots of typos, grammatical errors and punctuation errors, which should be easy to correct particularly on electronic versions. 'Apatite' for 'appetite,' really?? And at least twice!! Maybe that seems petty but published work should be better than that, I think.
on February 17, 2012
This book had a hard start and it definitely didn't leave the reader in any doubt of what they were getting into. Not for the lighthearted or squeamish.
I also found the time lines hard to follow and got a bit lost at times.
Having said all that it did grab my attention and I wanted to know where it was heading, i even cheered at one point (you'll understand if you read it).
on May 21, 2012
I read the 1 and 2 star ratings for this book and almost didn't buy it. The negative rating are BAD. The fact is, this book IS disturbing, the content matter IS dark, there IS rape and abuse in this book. All of this is clearly stated in the description AND in the warning in the beginning of the book. You can't give the book bad ratings for being surprisingly disturbing after the author warns about it repeatedly! LOL

Personally, I liked it. It was a look into a very dark, nasty world and it was also a love story. I understand to an extend why David didn't stand up to his dad sooner. That was a mutual decision made between David and the leading female (forgot her name)and as far as the mom goes, her life was also one that she consented too and tolerated for many years, putting her son right smack in the middle of it.

I felt for the characters and I enjoyed that POV it was written from his AND her perspective, past AND present. That could have been confusing but it wasn't. It was insightful.

Although dark and disturbing I also found this book emotional, sweet, and sexy.
on December 30, 2011
This book is unlike anything I've ever read before. Maybe because I haven't read too many bdsm novels before or because I've only read the "good" side of bdsm. Well, this was the "good" and the "bad" side of bdsm and I was captivated by it.

I'm not sure why either. At first, I thought the heroine (Kat) was a very damaged woman. I was wrong. I didn't understand at all why she wanted love the way she did. The more I read the more I understood her and what she wanted....and I was ok with it. I personally am not one for bdsm, but it is interesting to read. I think this book made it ok for me, in a way. The spankings and submission is truly what the h (honestly) needed.

I have always said that I will never ever stand by and be verbally and physically abused, that's goes for sexually abused as well. I grew up around people verbally and physically abusing each other; and had no choice to because I was a child. I'm not sure why woman do it, I can only imagine why, but I know for sure that I would not and could not let that ever happen to me. It's one thing to like sex rough, there are times when we all want it (let's be honest), but its another to be called 'slut' while you're having it or to be slapped so hard you have bruises on you. And that's what happened in this book. I was totally taken back by it since I've never read it before, let alone let that happen to me. It should never happen; no matter what.

I should start off by saying that this story has two main focuses...in a way, and two different time lines, which most people might have a problem with. I didn't. I actually enjoyed reading the different time lines, because, well, it was done just right. Each chapter was either before or present time. I wasn't lost or confused and I looked forward to each chapter. There are also two point of views too. Again, not hard to follow and you get the hang of it early on. We have the main couple, David and Kat and the secondary couple, David's parents, Richard and Ellen. And although the story is meant to focus on David and Kat, the parents are such a strong focus as well.

David's father, Richard, sees woman as a lesser equal and woman are suppose to submit and obey to men. David doesn't agree, but he wants to make his father proud so he starts to follow what his father says and make up lies to please him along the way, that is until Kat shows up. I lost so much faith in David....even though Kat was on board.

David and Kat are both in college when they meet, starting off as lab partners. Their relationship is purely platonic yet both having feelings for each other. David feels an instant attraction to her and fights it as long as he can, that is until they meet by chance at the same club. Surprisingly to both, they have the same interest when it comes to making love. But David doesn't know what it means to be a Dom, so Kat, in a way, shows him.

This book was so out of my comfort level but I think it's what I needed too. We see what it's like to be abused and loved at the same time. This book has a lot of sex in it but it needs to have it in order to understand. It was graphic but not dirty graphic...again, it's needed to understand the story. There were some reviews I read where people were actually stunned with how David's mother, Ellen, acted after Richard's death. How can you be surprised by it! It was abused on so many levels (for 30 years!) it's scary! She probably saw it as a relief that he was no longer there to torture her and her son David.

I truly felt that David and Kat loved each other more than words can express....even though at time I wanted to strangle David for what he allowed.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. A lot. I was a little upset with the ending though and how rushed it felt. We have this long drawn out mentally draining story, a great story, but the end was wrapped up so quickly that I can't help but be little upset about that. Kat's ex-Dom is called in to help with some issues and I expected more out of that. I was beyond excited when he was called in too. In the end, this book is worth more than the 99 cents it's price at on Amazon.

No woman, or man, should submit to abuse. Ever.
on November 8, 2013
This is one of those books that I am on the fence about...you will either think it is fascinating or totally disgusting. I absolutely HATED David's father with a passion. If I could have reached into my kindle and castrated him I would have...geez! David and Katlyn were so sweet together but every time he had to get her "ready" for a visit with the in-laws I wanted to throw up.
This is not a pretty romance at all...it is so dark and twisted you need to be aware of that from the start. Read only if you can handle a sick non-consent type of Dom/sub story.
on February 4, 2012
I didn't pay a lot of attention to what I was ordering when I purchased this $.99 book. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't this. I enjoyed this book. I had a bit of a struggle with the way the POV moved from the Male to the Female and from the Past to the Present, but in the end, it worked out perfectly.

David's development and inner emotional struggles were handled superbly. So many couples IRL struggle with the concept of "hurting the one they love" to the point where they completely loose the BDSM side of the relationship and then the entire relationship fails. When you're someone like Kat, the BDSM is their "zen" and without it everything is just "flat" and without a breath or heartbeat. It's a difficult concept to get your brain around and the way the author handled it was done very well.

The one thing I think was lacking just a little bit was the emotional struggle for Kat after the "rape". I think that was glossed over just a bit and there could have been much more added to the story were this expanded on a bit. It seemed a bit "shallow" IMO.

I'd recommend this to someone who's curious or knows about BDSM but not to someone who might be opposed to such kinkiness!
on February 7, 2016
It was okay...but it became so predictable after reading other 'like' novels. It got to the point where I was asking myself, "Really, how much more sex can a person write or a reader read to keep the story interesting?" I got bored.
on September 22, 2012
"When I was little, my mom used to tell me that I would someday meet a girl who would get stuck in my head and wouldn't get out. She told me that this girl's voice would become the voice of my conscience. You are the voice inside my head, Kat, and I can't deny that any longer."

I am going to use a word that may confuse you in regards to this book. I seriously think this may be the most romantic book I have read. Now I do not mean that in the traditional sense; let me explain. To me romance is not just the hot guy who comes in and sweeps your off your feet. It's not the lust that is felt in the beginning of a relationship. True Romance, true love to me is finding that one person that gets you. The person you do not have to hide anything from. That ONE person whom is your lover; best friend, your confidant, teacher, support, your greatest strength and also your biggest weakness. That one person who knows you better than you can sometimes know yourself. That is what romance is to me and after reading this I can honestly say the relationship between David and Katlyn is romantic.

"Why did I feel the need to protect her, when I felt the need to hurt so many others?"

David has had an unusual upbringing. His father being a controlling and abusive man has taught David how women should be treated. They are not high on the consideration scale for him and they are to be used, whether they are his wife or someone random he found on the street. David is so brainwashed and afraid of disappointing his father that he succumbs to his will and desires. That is until the day David sits down in his biology lab and a beautiful brunette sits down next to him as his partner. From the moment David meets Kat, he knows the nagging questions about his behavior and what is right or wrong will be tested.

"She was offering me a relationship with her - a real relationship. She wouldn't judge me, and she wouldn't let me hurt her. She was giving me an outlet. It was everything I had ever wanted, and it scared the (edit) out of me."

I absolutely love how Ms. Blair handled the sexual relationship between David and Kat. David is so conflicted about what he likes in the bedroom and to have someone as strong as Kat tell him from the beginning that his tastes are not wrong and that she would help him see that was beautiful. It is rare that we get a strong female in a book that can take the lead the way Kat does. To have her so strong in their relationship to be David's equal was beautiful. I really think Kat played against what many see as the stereotypical Submissive woman; she may like to submit to her partner sexually but that does not mean she is not a smart, strong, confident independent woman at the same time.

"I saw her as my equal, my everything, and no matter which room we were in. I loved her with all my being, but we both behaved differently depending on the setting. We drew hard lines between playtime and real life. Those lines kept us safe."

Now, because I have said I considered this to be romantic does not mean I think this is a light read. While this has the story of David and Kat there is the serious subject of abuse. David's father is horrible, completely sadistic and someone who is never to be sympathized with...EVER! What he does to his family and others is unforgivable to me.

"You're (edit)ing weak, you sissy. No son of mine will cry into his mother's apron. (Edit)ing take it like a man."

Having to face evil head on is never pretty and the aftermath is always ugly. Having said that, I am again in awe of how the author deals with it. There is no fade to black scene with a HEA. There is no glossing over the true emotions that come from dealing with something that can damage the soul, the psyche and destroy a relationship.

The author gives an insightful view into the real day-to-day life of a couple in a D/s relationship. It's not what some have read in other books. I gained much more knowledge and understanding of why a person would willingly go into a submissive relationship and actually gain pleasure from it. While Kat loved David dearly and truly her willingness to submit was not just for his pleasure but for her own. It went beyond want he or she wanted but down to her core of what she needed.

"I opened myself up to him and let him give me the release that I needed. Everything that I had been stressing about faded into the background, and I focused solely on the physical feelings that he was giving me."

Generational Sins has quickly earned a spot on my list of best reads. I understand it is not for everyone and I recommend people that are looking to read it examine the warning that is attached to it and be self aware. Regardless of the auto generated "If you like blah blah blah, you will like this," use your best judgement before you dive in and use this as your next read after a certain trilogy.

"Click. Breathe. Click. Breathe."

At times that is exactly how I felt reading this book. I had to breathe between each scene, each page and each emotion that overwhelmed me. This is not a book that I will forget long after reading it. I am grateful to my girls who recommended it to me.