5.0 out of 5 stars CREE XML T6 vs. MagicShine MJ-808E
After a few months of running both lights side by side. I decided to write a comparison review between my MagicShine MJ-808E 1000 lumen bike light and the CREE T6 1200 lumen bike light. Most of the field testing was conducted on Minnesota single-track trails with both lights being operated at the same time.

Duration:
MagicShine owned for about 14...
Published 18 months ago by Brian M. Lambertz

1.0 out of 5 stars Charge did not last, no exchanges, no contact info
Published 16 months ago by Bryan K. Sell

5.0 out of 5 stars CREE XML T6 vs. MagicShine MJ-808E, October 25, 2012

Duration:
MagicShine owned for about 14 months
CREE T6 owned for about 3 months

1st Impressions - Lighthead:
Comparing the two light heads:
+The physical size and weight were similar
+Both lights use the same CREE XM-L T6 LED
+No idea about the drivers, didn't want to rip either light apart since they are both working well
+Overheat protection is sensitive on the MagicShine, when the light gets hot it dims to the Low setting, the overheat protection on the CREE T6 never kicked in on a 2 hour battery run on high with indoor tempertaures of about 70F degrees, I was unable to determine if there is active overheat protection on the CREE T6
+The quality of the light head construction was nearly equal both use high quality aluminum and are light-weight with cooling fins for heat dissipation
+The light refractors are different, the MagicShine has a texture to the refractor, the refractor on CREE T6 is a smooth mirrored surface
+The light beam color on the CREE T6 is really white, I thought that about the MagicShine at first, but the CREE T6 is whiter yet
+Lens size is equal, but the CREE has a glowing Green Ring near the lens, so if it was in a gear bag with other equipment it would be easier to spot in the dark
+Modes, the CREE has H, M, L and Strobe (Long button press) the MagicShine has H, L, Strobe the Strobe on the CREE T6 has considerably faster light pulses

1st Impressions - Battery/Mounting case:
+This is where the MagicShine is better, the MJ-808E battery pack has much better construction
+CREE T6 is cheaply shrink wrapped 4 battery pack, with plastic shrinkwrap
+MagicShine is more of a rubber coated 4 battery pack with better quality construction
+Batteries - both use Li-Ion packs, but I did not dissaembly to determine the actual brand of battery in each pack
+CREE T6 has a carrying case with a single Velcro strap to mount to your bike's frame
+MagicShine has heavier construction/quality to the case and two Velcro straps to mount to your frame.

Mounting Options / Cord Length:
+CREE T6 has a longer default cord than the MagicShine, I had to buy the helmet mounting kit for the MagicShine which came with a cord extender
+With cord extender the MagicShine is longer, but without the extender it's not long enough to mount to my helmet and route down to my jersey pocket
+The CREE T6 without the extender is just barely long enough to mount to the helmet and run down to the jersey pocket (I am 6') I would recommend a cord extender for the CREE T6 if helmet mounting, especially for anyone over 6' or that wants to route the wire through their helmet in a way that would use up more cord

Trail Testing:
The typical configuration I would run for Night-time single track riding is to have the CREE T6 mounted on my handlebars and the MagicShine on my helmet. I bought a special lens for the CREE T6 to spread the light pattern for more of a flood effect and the helmet light is my spot light. Without the spread/flood lens the CREE acts as a spot light as effectively as the MagicShine. The mounting system is the same for either light, it uses the O-ring system and comes with 2 size O-rings for both standard handlebar diameters. On one of my mountain bikes I use the smaller ring, the other bike has the bigger bar so I use the larger ring. When using the MagicShine helmet mount accessory, you must use the came mounting system. As a bonus, the CREE light came with a camping headband mount, this is not very good as a helmet mount, so I would recommend a helmet specific mount. The headband mount is great for head usage besides when wearing a helmet and uses the O-ring mount system as well. For single-track usage, I run both lights on "Medium" or "Low" during Dusk, and as it gets darker I switch both lights to "High". It seems to conserve some of the battery by operating them in this matter. On either light, the strobe mode is not ideal for riding, but could be a good "SOS" mode to get someone's attention or signal for help from a long distance away.

One thing to note: During one of my rides, I loaned the CREE T6 to my brother and during the ride he fell off the bike and landed on the battery pack which he had placed in his cycling jersey. He landed on it in such a way that the shrink-wrap around the batteries split open a bit. Somehow this did not affect the functionality, but I can see where the rubber surround of the MagicShine would have some advantages during falls/accidental drops.

Head to Head Battery Testing:
The CREE T6 and the MagicShine have never run out of juice for me with a full charge and running on high. The longest ride I have done is about 2 hours and they both handled it with power to spare. For fun, I ran a full battery drain test to see how long they both would last. Keep in mind I have used the MagicShine for an entire year longer so there may be some battery life wear down. Both batteries lasted about 3 hours and 15 minutes on high. The CREE T6 migt have outlasted the MagicShine by about 5 minutes or so, but that could have something to do with owning the MagicShine for about a year longer.

Conclusions:
The one thing about the MagicShine is that it does have a more sensitive overheat protection mode, this may extend the life of the product, but it would seem that these LEDs are rates at 100,000 hours so I believe something else will break before I need a new LED. It would seem feasible that the battery pack is the one thing that would be replaced over time, as the battery cell life on this Li-Ion battery packs is yet to be determined. Also the build quality on the battery pack is nicer on the MagicShine, but you could always buy the CREE and get a better battery pack. Thus giving you 2 packs for longer rides or hikes. For all intents and purposes, this CREE T6 light is 85-90% of the quality of the MagicShine but 50% of the price.

I think I would rather have 2 of the CREE T6 lights than just one MagicShine for the cost, the advantage is that you would start with 2 battery packs and two light heads, one could mount to your bars and one to your helmet. Or if either component (light head or battery pack) wears out you already have a back-up. It's never good if a light fails in the woods in pitch dark conditions! Finally with two lights, you can always loan one to your buddy so you have another person out riding with you in case something unexpected happens(always best to ride using the buddy system :) ).

Thank you for reading this, I hope it helps with your considerations!

If money is not an object for you, and you want the best, I suggect buying 2 of these instead, but don't forget to buy the helmet mounting kit!
MagicShine MJ-808E 1000 Lumen LED Bike Light 2011 version with improved battery and charger

Brian Lambertz
Saint Michael, MN

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic low cost bike headlight to see the road rather than merely being seen, July 21, 2012
Length:: 1:46 Mins

I've read some reviews about this light and I decided to purchase two of them right away for my (Veltop) inclement weather equipped bicycle in case I need to ride at night time in an emergency riding situation.
O.K. I've got two very powerful red blinking tail indicator lights (Portland Design Works Danger Zone) for the rear of my bike and even lights (Nite Ize Spokelit Bicycle Lights)on my wheels as well as a wireless both front/back light and turn signals (Bicygnals Indicator Bicycle Light)
for my bike in addition to multiple types of reflectors.With this I could easily be seen by other drivers at night on the road.All that was missing was powerful headlights for seeing the road (to avoid debris,curbs at night (just in case) and these fit my bill.My lord these lights are bright though I haven't obtained the diffuser lens yet for these lights.The other astonishing thing is the high capacity Nylon covered (I think) Lithium Ion packs for these lights altogether for an extremely low price (really insanely inexpensive).

These Lithium Ion packs are worth the cost alone so it's like having these very powerful high wattage LED headlights,O-rings and a headband and charger included for free.

These are well made (the manufacturer has good quality here) and the green power light button is really cool (The button has a really nice clicky feel to it).Comes with a charger too and even a headband if you are using for other reasons (haven't tried it).

At first when I ordered it from Amazon it said that it would arrive perhaps a little over a month later.Gulp I don't like waiting too long for a package but it came from China overseas to my house in the Pacific Northwest USA in about a weeks time so that was quite a relief though I did have to sign for it (for me a DHL delivery truck) when it arrived.

I think that this is the least expensive version of this light on Amazon though I am not 100% sure.

These lights with charger,headband,2 different sized rubber O Rings came packaged in a plain rectangular long cardboard box.

I would have liked to have made a night time video review but my pocket camcorder doesn't do so well for night shots so I've had to just make a quick crude lighted room review.I spoke during my video review so hopefully you can hear it being demoed (well partially).

1.0 out of 5 stars Charge did not last, no exchanges, no contact info, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Generic 5 LED Bike Bicycle Taillight Rear Light Lamp
I bought this on a tight budget to replace an older light that is on its way out of service. I read the reviews (good) and checked the rating of the seller (good). However, I did not check if there is an exchange option (bad). The light lasted for less than 45 minutes on the first charge of switching between high, low, and flashing for mixed trail and road riding. I was left stranded on a very dark and dangerous portion of road. The second charge lasted for less than 9 minutes on low beam. I had fully charged the light three nights before and wanted to see if the charge had drained significantly. Given the ratings (and my current budget), I would like to make an exchange and contact the seller. Neither option is available, so I'll post here and hope that the seller does the right thing. If the batteries held their charge, then that would be great because the light performed very well on the trail.

Update:
The problem ended up being a faulty charger. When I took it apart it look like it was assembled by a five year old in a sweat shop. Oh wait, that might actually be true? Amazon offered me 30% of my cost as a refund and I get to keep the light. There is no warranty although the picture says that there is a 24 month warranty. Amazon doesn't seem to care about this, I took a chance, and got screwed. Why bother to list a seller when you cannot contact said seller? Moving along, I discovered for the same amount of money that you can get a much updated and higher quality version of this light elsewhere. The Amazon version is not adjustable, so if you have any sweep to your bars, you will be stuck with a light that points to the side of the trail. The newer light that I got from elsewhere for the same price appears identical to that from amazon however nearly every little detail better on the newer light from thicker gauge wire to a stronger bar mount. Save your money/time and look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great deal!, June 19, 2012
This review is from: Generic 5 LED Bike Bicycle Taillight Rear Light Lamp
Super bright! Ive had it over a month - It showed up charged, and I have used it maybe 25-30 nights for at least 20 - 60 minutes and it still has plenty of charge left. Got a diffusing lens and it works great to spread the beam across the path. Blinding on hi setting, like a car headlight on low.
Get this:
Wide Angle Lens for MagicShine, Gemini, Lupine, Bike Light / Headlight
to spread the beam for trail use. Works great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead after 20 minutes, January 30, 2013
This review is from: Generic 5 LED Bike Bicycle Taillight Rear Light Lamp
I have a spoke grenade 1800 lumen light and wanted another but could not find it on Amazon so I ordered this instead. The cheaper price was a nice bonus. You get what you pay for I guess. This light died after 20 minutes, even with a full charge. Also, the LED indicator light on the charger quit working after the 1st charge so its impossible to tell if the battery is fully charged. Crap is the word I would use to describe this light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Light, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Generic 5 LED Bike Bicycle Taillight Rear Light Lamp
Purchased this light for my bike being i am going to be riding when it is dark alot more often now. Light is Really bright, covered the road very well although i would of maybe like the center spot on the beam to be a little bit wider but even how the light is it still lights the road up far better then most $100+ lights.

I would change 2 things with the light.

One: The wire comes out of the light pointing forewards(As seen in the pictures). it is a little unsual and I feel it would be more benfitial if it came out pointing towards the back.

Two: the battery mounting strap is a little too long. Mounted it on the bike frame and while it does hold the battery from bouncing around you can still turn it fairly easily.

Another plus with this product is the shipping speed. I ordered it on friday the 6th and expected delivery was Wednesday the 11th to Monday the 16th but i recieved it in the mail on monday the 9th Via USPS. 2-5days before I anticipated it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice bike light but come with charger for Europe :(, September 25, 2012
Ryszard Sytnik (Siloam Spring's, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generic 5 LED Bike Bicycle Taillight Rear Light Lamp
I did ordered this CREE XML T6 Bicycle Headlight LED 3 Files 1200 Lumen's. Order was placed on 09/19/2012 shipment received on 09/24/2012. This light is working very good and look like quality product, unfortunately not everything is perfect.

PRO This headlight is very small with big bright lights have 3 settings.Look like very good quality product.

CON I receive charger what is wider then standard US receptacle and prongs on a plug a round just like in Europe.
Simply don't feet to wall receptacle. I don't know how I'm going to plug this to wall electric outlet perhaps I will be looking for some kind of adapter to meke this charger useful. I give only 4 stars because of this charger what was made for other country's not for US.

UPDATE 09/29/2012.
On 09/20/2012 I send a email via amazon.com to seller. Unfortunately I did not get any response on my email. But I did solve the problem with charger. I purchase "VP7 adapter plug-converter European/German/ Asian 2 Pin Plug to North and South American Plug" That way my problem was ended. Charger now is working very good with this plug what cost only $1.99 + shipping. I'm very pleased with quality and brightness of this bike light.

Update 10/03/2012
Today I receive email from seller TOMTOP.com, what is a repplay for my email send to them via amazon.com. They informed me that they send me today adapter for this charger what was made for Europe. That is very nice of them, look like they care about customer. Because product is very good and customer service to mach. I decide to upgrade my review to 5 stars.Thank you TOMTOP.com and amazon.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - right price, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Generic 5 LED Bike Bicycle Taillight Rear Light Lamp
This morning I was out for my morning ride when it started to sprinkle. I turned around to head home and switched the function to strobe. It was a divided 4 lane street and when the light started to strobe, a truck passing in the opposite direction slammed on its brakes like I was a cop!
This light is simply amazing. Its so bright I mostly use it on the lower setting because that is plenty. It appears to be the same light sold on amazon for 2+ times the price. The only difference I see is that there are only 3 settings (retina burning bright, daylight bright, and strobe). I'm not kidding about the retina burning, I was playing with it when I first opened the box and accidentally shined it in my eyes and saw spots for about 10 minutes.
You will not be dissapointed with this light.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY impressive for the money, November 28, 2012
Tim Schorer (E. Falmouth, ma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generic 5 LED Bike Bicycle Taillight Rear Light Lamp
Not perfect, but for the price this is a great light! Compared to my old Halogen bulb-ed light, and my current 200lumens light, this thing is BLINDINGLY bright. Simple mount holds light on bars securely. For helmet use I'll probably find a better mount than the included strap system. The light angle is fixed on the housing, so angle has to be adjusted on the base/bar...I'll likely buy or fashion a better helmet mount, the cable is long enough to stow the battery in a backpack. Comes with a charger, head strap, battery, light ...that's it, no instructions, but none needed.
charger has LED to indicate when batt is at capacity. When connected, power button glows bright, I don't know whether this is good, or annoying.
at 30 ft spot is VERY bright and beam is about 8ft wide with a good amount of light thrown around a 15ft area. I will definitely purchase a second setup, one for bars, one for helmet. At this price you can own two beams for less than the price of one brand name light.
the ONLY negative I've seen so far is that while it makes a positive connection(no flicker) the battery/light connector is not "tight"...this may become an issue, simple to secure with a piece of tape I guess.

***UPDATE! The battery connection isn't loose at all! There is a seal inside the battery connector into which the charging/lamp connector fits. I was not pushing the connector together enough. Once seated, this connection is VERY secure, seems very water resistant!

Also...I cut the straps on the head strap, and attached that mount on top of my helmet...exactly the same as the separate mount sold here for $9.95!

5.0 out of 5 stars Light up the neighborhood, September 28, 2012
This review is from: Generic 5 LED Bike Bicycle Taillight Rear Light Lamp
I have never left feedback before, but I had to say something about this fantastic headlight. It is super bright. I wanted something that would help me see the road at night rather than just being seen. My little Cateye simply was not doing the trick. This thing really illuminates the street and I did not even use the brightest setting. I did purchase the Wide Angle Lens for MagicShine, Gemini, and many other Bike Lights / Headlight with it as well to get a wider beam. Installation of the headlight and the lens is super simple. I have only just started using this headlight, so I cannot say how long the battery will hold its charge. As one user noted, the charger that I received was made for a European outlet. You can either use an adapter plug, or do as I did and contact the seller. Their customer service is excellent and they are sending me a charger with an American plug. Shipping is also much faster than what is indicated on Amazon; I had mine within a week. Summary: this light will burn the retina right off of your eyeballs and it won't burn a hole in your wallet.

ARRAY(0x944fee1c)