5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in Italy
I bought this adapter to charge my laptop during my semester abroad in Italy. It works really well for grounded appliances--any device that has an American-style plug with 3 prongs simply plugs in and the adapter then plugs into the Italian outlet. You can also use this adapter for an American-style plug with 2 prongs.

As one other reviewer mentioned, the...
Published on January 31, 2011 by Kirsten Hallman

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the two prong adapter!
Published on January 15, 2012 by Sicilianosugnu

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in Italy, January 31, 2011
Kirsten Hallman (West Columbia, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generic Italy Universal to Italian Travel Power Plug Adapter (Electronics)

As one other reviewer mentioned, the only downside is that some Italian outlets only have 2 prongs and do not work with the grounded plug. However, I have not had a problem finding an outlet that works with this adapter, and I live in a pretty old apartment. I have four outlets in my room and all are grounded, as are the other outlets in my apartment.

Also, make sure to check that your device can convert power on its own. The easy way to do this is to check the label on the box for your charger. It will usually say something like 100-240V if it can convert power. If it only lists one number, you will have to purchase a converter to convert the voltage, since the adapter is not capable of doing so by itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the two prong adapter!, January 15, 2012
I work in the US but live in Italy (sono Italiano), I would go with the two prong adapter rather than the three prong any day. No need for the "grounded" middle prong unless you want to hit your head against a wall when you find out that the place where you had in mind to charge your electronic toy will only accept the two prong! In short..with a two prong adapter..you will NEVER run into any problem..with this three prong...you better cross your fingers..dont say I didnt warn you guys. Also find the cheapest two prong adapter out there! There are plenty for around 1 dollar..remember..this will not work as a transformer!! Make sure you read the power voltage label that is on your device..in Italy the power is 220v in the US its 110v so if the U.S. device you plan on bringing to Italy is also good for 220v then a two prong adapter is all you need to bring to Italy. I would buy more than one just to stay on the safe side just in case you lose one. They also sell them in Italy but only at certain electronic shops that are mom and pop owened and you would need to drive around for ever to find that place that carries them. Otherwise you can purchase an adapter at any airport..only thing is that you will end up spending 20 dollars for one if you choose to go that route and like I said before a 10 cent adapter is all you really need.

5.0 out of 5 stars What your need for grounded plugs in Italy, April 17, 2010
Consumer (New England, USA) - See all my reviews
If you have a grounded US plug (3-prong) this will let you use Italian plugs. If you only have a ungrounded plugs (2 prong) then you can use the standard rounded 2-prong outlets common in the rest of Europe (with a 2 prong European adapter) in Italy as well.

If you only get one adapter for Italy, this is the one to get. (Remember to make sure your device can handle Italian voltage (240v), this does not convert voltage).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adapter but 2 prong is more versatile, November 13, 2010
Josh (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
This is a great price for a grounded adapter. I arrived quickly and we used it throughout our trip to Italy in Rome, Florence, Siena and Tuscany. No issues at all, product is very well made and not too bulky.

One note to be careful of - many outlets only have 2 prongs and are not grounded, so this adapter does not work. We ran into this in the airport where the cell phone charging station only had 2-prong outlets. Fortunately we'd purchased 2 of those (via Amazon as well) - but just keep in mind that 2 prong outlets make this virtually useless. We never hit that issue in any of our hotels though, as they were all 3 prong outlets.

Great product overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars life saver, January 24, 2010
even though the hotel was new, without this item, I never would have been able to charge my laptop while in italy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great., May 16, 2011
Blake Thomas (Chapel Hill, NC) - See all my reviews
This adapter worked well on a trip to southern Tuscany and Rome. We had no problems charging and using our American electronics. If you're planning to do the same, make sure your devices' chargers or power blocks read "100-240V" and "50-60 Hz."

5.0 out of 5 stars Best adapter for Italy!!, July 1, 2012
Kimba (North of Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
First things first -- Adapters and Converters are two different animals.

Traveled to Italy from the United States in March with 7 teenage girls. Among all the different adapters furnished by each girl's parents, the girls mostly relied upon this adapter which I bought for my daughter and myself. Many of the girls brought international converter or adapter kits (from places like Brookstone, Target, WalMart), which were not only confusing to all of us, they were bulky and in the end useless.

I would recommend that parents sending their children (girls especially) to Italy -- purchase three of these to send overseas with them. Given that most students are only in their rooms to sleep and shower, camera batteries, laptops and cell phones are only being recharged at night when they sleep. One adapter won't be enough to fully charge *all* of these things. One I used throughout the night to run my sound machine app while keeping my iPhone fully charged and ready for the next day of sightseeing. Also remember that after showering, most of the girls were using their chargers to plug in blow dryers.

Do yourselves a favor...pick up three of these. They worked for us in Florence and in Rome. I am still not sure why, but a couple of the girls who brought similar 3 prong and 2 prong adapters had very little luck trying to charge their camera batteries. Were I to travel this trip again, I would have bought six of these - 3 for my daughter and three for me.

Best because this adapter is very small, it worked every time for us, other girls lined up to use them, they are inexpensive.
Tips: -- Apple products don't need voltage converters.
-- Pick up a hair dryer with dual voltage (Brookstone has a very good one that folds).

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, but unnecessary., March 18, 2012
We bought this product in preparation for our vacation to Italy. It was unnecessary as the adapters for the rest of Europe work just fine in the Italian outlets. Therefore, if I were to do it again, I would not buy this product and would just stick with the general Europe adapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product -- sturdy and reasonably priced!, September 30, 2011
I just returned from three weeks in Italy and purchased this Universal to Italian Travel Power Plug Adapter for that trip. It worked wonderfully in the three hotels that our group stayed in. I had no problem at all using it for recharging my rechargable batteries. I took along a friend's two prong adapter just in case, but did not need it. This adaptor is very sturdy and well made and worked without any problem at all. I would definitely recommend it to anyone -- especially for $4.32, a definite bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grounded 240v Adaptor, December 10, 2013
I wrote the review below based on an adapter based on a picture sent to me by Amazon. However Amazon posted the review for a different adapter. I have and like both adapters but the adapter that is for sale where this review is posted will NOT fit into recessed 240v outlets.

This adapter is nice because it is a grounded adapter. It also is built to that it will fit inside of recessed outlets, and you find those on occasion in Europe. You should have adapters with you that only have 2 prongs also since a fair number of outlets in Europe are old and do not have the ground. Most of the 2 prong adapters I have seen will fit inside of recessed outlets.

Note that if you need to run 120 v equipment you will need a transformer. Fortunately many electronics will work with either 120bv or 240v equipment so there is less need for a transformer than one might think.

I usually carry a transformer and 4 or 5 adapters when I go to Europe.