Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on May 19, 1996
I was well pleased by the depth of interpretation given in this commentary. The aurthors insights are unique and refreshing. Although I haven't had the priviledged of taking any of Dr. Viviano's courses at the Univ. of Lyola, Chicago, her reputation extends far beyond the University. I look forward to attending one of her lecture series in the future
on July 31, 2010
I like a book and author that gets to the point and this Collegeville Commentary on Genesis does just that. I don't read Hebrew, study history, nor am I trained in theology - yet, this book makes sense to me. If you are a lay person and looking for a valid perspective on Genesis not commonly discussed on Sunday morning, this book is for you.
on February 3, 2013
This is an excellent commentary on the book of Genesis! A nice feature is that the Scripture passage is written towards the top of the page, and the commentary appears below.

I recommend this to both the beginner student of Scripture, as well as the experienced scholar.

Thank you for this work! It has allowed me to understand the book of Genesis more readily, made it more worthwhile!
on April 6, 2014
I picked this up at a thrift store as I thought that it would add some background to my NIV study/prayer bible. I am enjoying very much, and appreciate the historical information that Ms. Viviano provides. I am not a Catholic and feel that anyone that would like to learn more of the bible and how it was written will enjoy, including atheists.
on April 26, 2012
I find that the Collegeville Bible Commentary Vol. 2 - Genesis is more thorough in defining the Book of Genesis. I have another Bible study book that helps a person work through the Bible and is to help better understand the Bible's content; however, that other study book leaves too many gaps and questions to be answered. The Collegeville Bible Commentary of the Book of Genesis has filled in those gaps and brought a better, more clear, understanding to the questions my Mom and I had, and of what the Book of Genesis is all about. It has helped me understand God better. My Mom's boss is Catholic and he found my Mom reading the Bible and trying to understand Genesis he loned the Genesis study guide to her; and when I was reading bits and pieces of the commentary I realized that we, my Mom and I, would want to underline things or make comments for us to go back read again when we needed to or wanted to so I bought two. This product will always be helpful to me, and I know it will be helpful to those who use it. May God bless and guide you always.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2015
I've used this for my Bible classes before...it's a great commentary.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
this book gave me nothing that I did not get in my Bible. I was very disappointed in the contents. I thought it would give me more anciant history of the Jewish nation in much more detail.