4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a beginner!
Published 21 months ago by Erin M.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the science major, but...
Published on January 27, 2012 by E. Data

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the science major, but..., January 27, 2012
This review is from: Genetics For Dummies (Paperback)
First of all, I don't have a background in genetics at all and was interested in picking up a book for a dummy like me that could give me a overview on the topic. I've purchased these "Dummy" books in the past and liked the format and content. This book however, was way over my head! I agree that this is a very complex subject and also now have realized that even breaking it down for guys like me is still way over my head. I enjoy the sciences and am always curious on how the universe works on a macro and micro level. This book did expose the complexity of the micro world and what steps go into creating life. It was just a bit too complicated and detailed for me. At times I thought my brain was going to explode. I did however come away with an appreciation for the scope of the DNA/RNA task and the dedication of the scientists who figured this stuff out. I'm sure to a science major, this book will be a great supplement to their studies as it does take you through all the steps. Now I'm trying to search down the book "Genetics for REAL Dummies".

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a beginner!, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Genetics For Dummies (Paperback)
I have been interested in learning more about genetics for years and years, but never felt like I would be able to comprehend such an extensive subject. This book was a great introductory to genetics and an overview of many different fields within genetics! There were some parts that I was not interested in (certain fields that weren't my cup of tea - personal preference), but I felt like overall it was great.

There were detailed analogies to help you understand the different bits and pieces of all things that make up the genetics field. I was able to grasp concepts much easier by thinking about them related to something else I already know, and for that I feel this book did an excellent job 'dumming it down' for me.

I do feel like there were certain chapters that I needed to re-read to fully understand, and even after finishing the book I feel like it would be a wise decision to sit down with a pad and pen to take notes. I read this on my kindle so it was great to be able to highlight and reference back to something - but the field is so in-depth I think you would best serve yourself and your memory by doing more than just reading (that is unless you frequently study genetics, in which case this is probably just a great refresher book for you).

Looking forward to buying my next book on genetics!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for a basic genetics course, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Genetics For Dummies (Paperback)
The dummies books are great to use as an extra study resource. They break down the information is an organized and easily understandable manner. Upper division college genetics courses are more detailed than this, FYI. It's a good resource to refer to for the basics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why I like "Genetics For Dummies" by Tara R., August 11, 2013
ptr613 (Melbourne Australia) - See all my reviews
This book covers a topic which affects us all, whether we are just generally interested in how genetics determines the details of the lives of plants and animals, or concerned about the ethics and safety of cloning them, or considering a career in genetics, or for those who are, or know someone who is, suffering the effects of genetic disorders. The book is definitely not for dummies but it is interesting reading, well organised and clearly written and is an excellent primer on this vital but complex subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Study Help, May 20, 2012
This review is from: Genetics For Dummies (Paperback)
Exactly what you would expect from a book about genetics, it makes learning about this stuff easier than the average text book and it has been very helpful for my DNA class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful., January 21, 2013
I am trying to get my brain back into gear for uni after ten years off so this book seemed like the place to start. A good review of the basics before I venture into something heavier. Would recommend to younger readers as a study guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but really basic, February 1, 2014
This review is from: Genetics For Dummies (Paperback)
I found it kind of basic, but easy to understand, so a good start to understanding genetics. Good for anyone looking to understand the topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, there's a lot to this book., May 27, 2014
Eric (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genetics For Dummies (Paperback)
I just received this book today and took a moment to sit down with it (thumbing through the pages to get an idea of what it entails). At a quick glance, it appears to cover quite a bit on the subject of genetics. There are 24 chapters that start with the definition of genetics, then moving through the various aspects of genetics, and ending with ethics and examples of unusual creatures with unusual genetic characteristics.

I've really have a burning desire to learn more about the world of cells and genes. I'm hoping this book will open a few doors during that journey. Having a look at it, I think it is very promising.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Technical, July 28, 2014
This review is from: Genetics For Dummies (Paperback)
Interesting read. My degrees are all in medical sciences, so I found some of the material challenging. I think I would have found the information a little easier to digest, had I had a genetics course in the past, or was more up to date in this area. I was, however, able to gain an overall understanding of the material. This material would. be best for someone with a good understanding of biology and chemistry

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good book, July 1, 2014
This review is from: Genetics For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm developing algorithms for biologists, so I bought this book to understand some biology I'm dealing with, plus I hoped it is of a "scientific popular" kind of book. And it is, making it quite easy to understand. I had some troubles with meiosis/mitosis material, but then when it went on Mendelian Genetics and further, I just enjoyed it - very good written, many interesting examples. Highly recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Genetics For Dummies
Genetics For Dummies by T. R. Robinson (Paperback - May 3, 2010)
$19.99 $14.75