5.0 out of 5 stars easy install, works great
My Genie garage door opener (potentially 15yrs old since I bought the home used) started making a horrible racket and wouldn't open or close, but didn't make any noise when I disconnected the carriage release from the screw drive. That pointed to a bad carriage. I was very happy to find this part on Amazon.

Installation was very easy:
1) pull the manual...
Published on October 16, 2010 by Qikstart

3.0 out of 5 stars replacement carriage for genie garage door opener
although,looks like original not as durable as original, that is my opinion,also postage seemed excessive.
would i order this one again?, questionable,! time will tell.
Published 7 months ago by Lewis Ostrander

5.0 out of 5 stars easy install, works great, October 16, 2010
Qikstart (Chandler, AZ) - See all my reviews

Installation was very easy:
1) pull the manual release cord on the carriage to disconnect it from the screw drive
2) remove the cotter pin/bolt from the old carriage and the angle bar that is attached to the garage door (leave the bar attached to the door)
3) remove single nut supporting the track at the front of the garage.
4) supporting the track with 1 hand, gently push the track off to one side just a couple of inches to allow you to slide off the existing carriage
NOTE: after you pull off the carriage, you'll probably notice that some/many/all of the teeth have broken off
5) slide the new carriage on being careful about the orientation - there's a directional arrow molded onto the new piece reminding you which side is towards the door
6) reattach the track to the front of the garage with the bolt
7) reattach the angle bar to the carriage using the cotter pin
8) remove the cord from your old carriage and tie it to the new one
9) engage the carriage by pulling up on the release lever; after pulling up on the lever, I found that wiggling it back and forth just a bit gave me a comforting feeling as I could hear/feel the teeth fall into place along the screw drive

This is a 10min job max. I did remove my carriage before buying the new one on here to confirm that it had problems, and as I mentioned in the note above, the broken teeth confirmed my suspicions.

To reiterate what some other people have said, this is NOT the magnetic carriage version. If you look carefully at the 2 models sold here, you can see the magnet sitting above and to the right of the release lever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive fix for garage door repair, December 26, 2007
This review is from: Genie 20414R Carriage for Screw Drive Operators (Misc.)
Our garage door opener starting making a horrile noise and wouldn't open properly. In looking at the carriage for the screw drive, it appeared worn down. Since we really didn't want to purchase a new door opener, we took a chance this was the part that needed replacement. It was exactly what we needed and works great! Saved us lots of money and was easy to replace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily fixed door that wouldn't open, October 9, 2007
Web research indicates this carriage assembly (which engages with the long screw on Genie Screw-drive openers)is the most common failure with these type openers. But, neither of my local home centers carried the part, despite carrying the Genie brand openers and some other parts (seems they'd prefer to sell you a new opener). My door needed "help" to start opening, and the old carriage assembly didn't look too bad (a few chipped teeth), but the new carriage fixed the problem. Check that the door moves easily with the opener disengaged first (no sticking, broken springs, etc.).

5.0 out of 5 stars Genie part fits broken screw-drive opener, May 16, 2010
This review is from: Genie 20414R Carriage for Screw Drive Operators (Misc.)
My door was bouncing & jerking as it would open & close. After inspecting the screw-drive on my Genie door opener, I found no wear issues. I thought I would try a cheap fix before having to replace the whole unit, it is 11 years old. I found a "carriage" at Amazon from one of their many suppliers. The price was good and I had the "carrier" via U.S. mail in only 3 days. The fix worked, my door now travels up & down smoothly and the total costs was under [...]. I would used this merchant again for my garage door opener parts. As a side note, I use Amazon.com to price many items before I make any purchaes, I always save money & find good products and service when I use Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the carriage wears out, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Genie 20414R Carriage for Screw Drive Operators (Misc.)
Your carriage is probably wearing out because the door is too heavy. Do this test. With the door disconnected from the opener, lift the door halfway up. If you release the door and it stays, you are in good shape. If you release the door and it wants to go back down, the springs do not have enough tension (torsion) and need to be adjusted. The job of the door opener is to MOVE the door. It is the job of the springs to LIFT the door. If your opener is LIFTING the door, it will wear out your carriage very quickly and the motor will fail next.

5.0 out of 5 stars It did the job!, November 22, 2008
This review is from: Genie 20414R Carriage for Screw Drive Operators (Misc.)
I have a screw-drive garage door opener which has given years of service. But, one day it abruptly began making a "clunking" noise each time it passed the 2 joints on the track assembly. The noise was louder when it was pulling the door open.

Once I removed the old assembly, I could see why. The old carriage had literally "worn out". There is a gear-like metal piece inside the carriage that engages with the track screw-drive, and it was almost completely worn down on one end. It could hardly engage with the screw drive, and that was most evident at the transitions where the carriage must bridge the small gap in the screw-drive.

I tried to find the part locally but found that only a few places carry the part and they greeted me with an unpleasant service attitude and inflated prices. So, I decided to keep looking.

Then I found this on Amazon along with the positive reviews on it. I
ordered it, it arrived quickly enough and the part appeared to be a perfect match. So, I replaced the old one with it and it's been working perfectly. The cluck noise has gone away and it seems as good in opening and closing as it ever was before.

By the way, even with shipping charge, this was still the best price I found. And as an added benefit, there was no surly attitude to deal with here either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I needed!!!, March 17, 2010
Tech Gadget (California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genie 20414R Carriage for Screw Drive Operators (Misc.)
If your Genie garage door opener get stuck half-way up or down and the motor is also stuck running, it's a good chance that the carriage is worn out. Remove the old one and check for ground-down groves.

This part was a cheap fix to a 6-year old opener. The carriage looks durable, fits perfectly and runs our Genie garage opener well. Thanks a million!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the same carriage as the other 20414R carriages ..., August 8, 2014
This review is from: Genie 20414R Carriage for Screw Drive Operators (Misc.)
This is the same carriage as the other 20414R carriages advertised. They say it is for non-magnetic screw drive units, but on the other side is a pocket for the magnet, so it will work on magnetic screw drive units as well. The pocket for the magnet does not affect operation when used for non-magnetic screw drive units. They are original genie parts and really improve the performance of the garage door opener unit. Make sure to get the tube of grease as well. It's really just lithium grease but the advantage of the tube is the narrow application tip to apply it on the screw drive thread. This carriage fit my Genie garage door opener model G5050.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!, January 20, 2011
This review is from: Genie 20414R Carriage for Screw Drive Operators (Misc.)
Ordered this part on a Sunday afternoon, received via UPS on Wednesday!! The part is new, and exactly what I needed. This repair is easily performed if you have even minimal repair skills, and saves a lot of cash over having a service call. This part is designed to be replaced, I have replaced a couple over the life of my opener so far. Order the grease and keep the spiral bar lubed, your carriage assembly will last longer. Could not be more satisfied. Will now order another to keep in the garage so next time I can fix same day . At under $8.00, you can stockpile one easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars This part fixed my garage door opener, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Genie 20414R Carriage for Screw Drive Operators (Misc.)
It wasn't too hard to figure out why my garage door opener didn't open my garage door anymore. It wasn't even that hard to figure out that, although this is the part that commonly fails, no one locally has it available.

So I had to order it. Installation, in principle, is easy. The old part slips off the track and the new part slips on. Because of the placement of my door hardware, however, it wasn't that simple. To create room to get parts off and on the track I had to remove four additional bolts so I could rotate as well as translate the track. With that I was just able to make the swap. What might have been a 15 minute job became a 45 minute job.

And this part is just the basic part. You need to reuse the connector and cotter pin, the disconnect pull, and the warning label from the old part. None are included with the new part.

But it's cheaper and easier than replacing the whole opener.