5.0 out of 5 stars ALL THE BEST FEATURES IN ONE RIG
In the world of beach tents / shelters this just has it all and I can't believe how little attention it has received. I think availability is erratic or the listing gets poor search results. At the moment of this review it says it's unavailable but I just bought one 2 weeks before.

Published on June 18, 2011 by B.Forstner

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on July 1, 2012 by Kim W.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL THE BEST FEATURES IN ONE RIG, June 18, 2011
This review is from: Genji Sports One-Step Instant Push Up Hexagon Beach Tent (Tall) (Sports)

This shelter truly is an instant pop up shelter. Why they call it a "push up" seems odd but ok. Anyway, if an onlooker looks away for 3 seconds while you're about to pop this thing up they will be completely bewildered as to how such a tent is suddenly there when a few seconds ago it looked like there was a good hour worth of work ahead of it.

I could not find ANY OTHER beach shelter type tent that combined all of the following features TOGETHER:

1. Somewhat "tall" (no crawling in and out of it)

2. 3 zippered windows (2 windows would have been fine too)

3. Mesh screens built into each window

4. Intant Pop-up style

5. A zip-up front closure for complete privacy for changing if needed

This one has all of them. Others I looked at on Amazon had one or two of those features but not all of them, especially the front closure.

Before setup we had left the windows zipped open before we repacked it at home so it wouldn't act like a total parachute during setup. During setup the wind on the beach is usually rocking straight at you from the water. At first we tried to pop it up with the back into the wind. Nope. Hated it. Face it at the wind, stake the two foreward corners down for starters, and then pop it open. Poof. This thing doesn't even blink. Tweak the placement of the little yellow stakes to match the new footprint and add the two at the rear. We spread out the front closure and staked it as shown in the product photo but you could just tuck it under. This tent has the built in sandbags on the sides but after the first use we decided that this step wasn't even neccessary. The thing is just stable with the plastic stakes. Sandbags are just work when work is not a factor with this tent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 1, 2012
I bought this beach tent to take on our yearly vacation. I did my research and bought this because it had great reviews and all the qualities I wanted. I set it up a few times at home just to get a feel for it and to show it off to friends and family. I was very excited about the tent, my 2 year old son loved it and I knew it would be a great asset to future vacations. Unfortunately we got to the beach, set it up, and within 30 minutes it was broken by the wind (it was a normal day on the beach, not excessively windy). One of the bars that connect at the top came out of place. After messing with it for awhile I realized a screw had come loose so I fixed it and it worked for about 15 minutes. Then two more bars came loose and I could not fix it without it breaking again. I guess the place where the screws go we're stripped? Nothing happened to the tent that could cause something like that to happen, it just did. I was extremely disappointed. When I spend a little extra money on something to get a "better" product, I expect it to work more than one day. I would not recommend this product to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Wanted!, April 19, 2012
We live on the East Coast, and with my first grandchild's arrival, I decided to purchase a beach tent for when she visits. I tried it out at home when I received it, and couldn't wait to go to the beach and try it. It couldn't have worked out more perfect! I considered getting a smaller tent, but I'm SO glad I didn't! This one is JUST the right size, and VERY easy to set up and take down (it is easier with two people, but not a problem for just one person). The Sport Umbrella I also purchased is nice, but much heavier to carry, and doesn't have ground protection for the baby. I highly reccommend this tent, and wouldn't even consider buying another one now.

Pros...

-Very easy and light to carry.
-Really does take only a few seconds to set up AND take down!
-The size is comfortable enough for 1 or 2 adults (we are average size) and an infant to hang out in; the "tall" makes it that much more comfortable.
-The 3 zipper windows let the breeze flow through and keep cool.
-It's nice to have the option for privacy with the extended floor zippered up, for changing, etc.
-SPF 50 protection from the sun, especially for infants.

Cons...

The only con is that it does take a little bit to work the push in and pull apart mechanism, but I just practiced at home before taking out to the beach as many had suggested, and it wasn't an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever Beach Tent!, April 9, 2014
If you love going to the beach, this is a staple! We live in sunny florida with our little ones. We go to the beach frequently. Our kids love the tent. It helps when you want to get away from the sun and perfect for a little nap or just to relax. We use the tent through out the year. Even during winter months, when the water is a bit chilly, we take the tent and have a great beach day. If you get a bit cold, you can get inside the tent to warm up some. We've had a lot of people ask us about the tent. We also love the fact it is taller than other tents. You never have to crawl in the tent. We like the side air vents that you can zip up if you need privacy. We've had the tent for a year now and love the durability and the protection it provides us on the beach. The sun can get pretty hot down here and it's nice to know that the tent has decent UV protection. If you have little kids, I highly recommend getting this tent. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars It has been a season, December 31, 2013
This is a fantastic tent. I have used it by the lakes of Minnesota and the costal beaches. It goes up very easily (even in a heavy beach wind -if you put your back to the wind and open the tent away from you). Always put it away with the windows unzipped. This makes opening in wind much easier. On a sandy beach fill the pouches up with sand (on the sides and back) and it will stay put. I have used it heavily all season (and on vacation) seams, stays, and zippers are all working well. This tent protects from the sun, light rain, and wind very well. The people around me who watch me open it are amazed at how fast and easy it opens. The last point, the carrying bag is large enough to be able to stuff the tent in even when it is poorly packed. I have never zipped up the main flap and probably never will.

Pros:
Opens easily
Pockets for sand as weight to hold down
Big bag, easy to get the tent back in.
Protects well

Cons:
if all of the windows are zipped shut, and the front is open, it can become a kite in a high wind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this tent!, July 6, 2012
Moose1178 "Moose" (West Palm Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
The things I was looking for were:

- Easy up and down
- Windows for ventilation
- Spacious while up
- Compact when folded for storing

I didn't think I could get all of what I wanted because you usually have to sacrifice something but this tent has it all! Works great! Easy up and down. I can't take even five minutes to put a tent up when I have a toddler running around at the beach. This tent takes about 1 minute. The first few times my husband had to do it. It was a little tight but now I can do it. Same with folding down. Very easy. This tent is also very spacious when up and folds down nice and compact. It comes with a carrying bag which my husband said to throw away because I'd never get it back in there. To his (and mine actually) surprise, he was wrong it goes back in no problem. We've used it at the beach a few times, the park, out by the pool for a little shade, I take it over to my sister's so that my little one can play outside without being in the sun. We are always in the backyard over there and this is great to have. He doesn't get all dirty and I don't have to hold him all the time. He can play in the tent and be near the other kids. I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of this tent. I highly recommend this tent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complicated But Simple, July 27, 2012
I purchased this tent used from a vendor on Monday and with expedited shipping, recieved it on Thursday via FedEx. The Tent arrived in a carrying sleeve with a shoulder strap and seems light enough to carry through an airport comfortably. It was in good condition, with a few slight tears of the thread of the joints near the poles due to stretching. Nothing major.

I unwrapped it in my living room. It took me two hours to get the tent up because it didnt just POP open. The prior owner had unhooked some key parts and had allowed the sleeves to slide down.

Once its fixed and hooked correctly, the tent does pop open if you hold the top circle high above your head while pushing up the bottom circle in a bouncing motion.

I dont understand why no one has explain these few steps below, rather than just saying it "pops open in 30 seconds!"

HOW TO PUT UP THE GENJI HEXAGON BEACH TENT WHEN IT DOESN'T JUST "POP" OPEN -

Step 1: IF your tent doesn't pop open, check to make sure to put the longest "elbow" poles are all the way through the sleeves properly. The sleeves go on the upermost top part of long elbow poles, all the way past the joint. Remove the rubber stopers and the rings keeping the tent connected to the pole if neccesary to adjust each of your sleeves.

Step 2: Spread the tent out with the bottom on the floor and the sides where they should be.

Step 3: Next Connect the 6 hooks at the top of the tent to the 6 small "crown" poles closest to them. Make sure you connect the hooks in a sensible way to match how the tent will spread out.

Step 4. Stand at the back of the tent and hold the circles vertically above your head.

Step 5: In a bouncing motion, bring the bottom circle up until the tent starts to flap open and the hooks pull up the top.

Step 6: Keep squeezing and pulling up the bottom circle until you can click it into place with the top circle. Click it into place and slide the safety hook through the slit securely.

Step 7: Adjust the long elbow poles so the joints are "straight" and pointed upwards, not bent and pointing downward.

Step 8: Steak down the poles or put sand in the bags to keep it in place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to carry and Amazing on the beach, July 22, 2011
We used this tent at Virginia Beach last week. It provided shelter from the sun as well as a little bit of a cooler temperature underneath it's shade. It is very light and easy/quick to set up and repack. It comes with stakes, but we didn't use them. Just fill the attached sand bags on the outside of the tent and put your cooler inside. The tent will not budge. Another feature we love is the ability to zip up the front of the tent for privacy and/or to hide your items inside. =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Tropical Cabana Getaway!, December 13, 2013
We used this awesome beach tent to get a break from the sun, to shade the cooler, you can even zip it up and have privacy to change clothes! It is super ez to set up and take down- with anything like this make sure all poles are correct before popping it up, don't want to break anything! Great in the wind- has stakes or we use large zip locks and fill them with sand for holding it down, it has pockets to put sand in, but we find it easier to fill the bags them put them in the pockets!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the beach!, August 9, 2013
We practiced setting this up at home to get the hang of it, which was a good idea. We used the tent at a lake and on the Wildwood beach. It was great for shade, and it is nice and roomy. It can get warm inside, but we found that a beach umbrella throwing extra shade over it kept us nice and cool. Easy to get up, down, and transport. My stepson had the genius idea of filling gallon ziplock bags of sand to place in the sand pockets. This was the right choice, and it made the tent easy to move back when the tide came in. I highly recommend this for any family!

Genji Sports One-Step Instant Push Up Hexagon Beach Tent (Tall)
$112.00 $94.53