Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 11, 2009
I was first introduced to this book by one of the engineers I work with. He had found the book during one of his trips to the Big Island of Hawaii and an inspection of the observatories on the summitt of Mauna Kea. I was able to borrow the book from him for several days and quickly became thoroughly engulfed in the history of astronomy at 14,000 feet. This book became a necessary purchase for me and one which we have recommended to all the staff at our company. You see, we have a very strong connection to the telescopes on top of the mountain having designed and constructed many of the enclosures on the summit. From an insider on the top of the mountain, I find this book a must read for anyone who wishes to expand their knowledge of this special place. Extremely well written and ultimately readable.
on August 29, 2006
I loved this book. I am an astronomer by hobby only and was looking for a great read, that provided background on the area under observation and the sky above. This book does a great job of bringing high level thinking down to the everyman's level and providing wonderful history and insight about the island of Mauna Kea. The photography is breath taking and the story is exceptional. A must read for any astronomy lover or even for the Mauna kea tourist.
on July 31, 2014
Recommended by a staff member of the Mauna Kea Observatories. Condition was as advertised and a wonderful overview of the instruments and science from Hawaii's premier astronomical observatory.