5.0 out of 5 stars Great Converstion Starters!
I think this book is terrific ! The questions answers in the book
make great fodder for provocative conversations with friends and
boyfriends. Some of the ones I loved: are "Is a meat-heavy diet a turn-
pff? Why do roller coaster rides and other thrills make people
lustful? What smells have been found to turn people on? How do the
seasons...
Published on November 23, 2008 by Zenaide Andrade

3.0 out of 5 stars Better living through Chemistry?
Published on July 21, 2012 by R. Klein

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Converstion Starters!, November 23, 2008
I think this book is terrific ! The questions answers in the book
make great fodder for provocative conversations with friends and
boyfriends. Some of the ones I loved: are "Is a meat-heavy diet a turn-
pff? Why do roller coaster rides and other thrills make people
lustful? What smells have been found to turn people on? How do the
seasons affect your love life?" It's funny, charming, and well--
written. What I like about it is that it's not heavy and dull like
most science books, but there are sources if you want to go back to
the research behind the author's findings. I'd call it a cross
between a science book and the best of Cosmo. Highly recommended for
women who are looking for a new view on love and dating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive on Many Levels, December 5, 2008
Must-reading for men even though it's mainly addressed to women--and should make a good gift any time of year. Guys, find out how much they really know about us--more than we know ourselves! Smart, witty, thoughtful accounts of why we're attracted (or not) to how would-be mates smell, on the sexiness of humor and how love changes your brain, why curves are sexy, and much more. Question-and-answer format makes for easy episodic reading: Pick it up and start anywhere, read a few pages, then come back later for more surprises. Light, breezy writing that is also satisfying to readers interested in science and psychology. This would make a good gift to or from either sex--for someone whose smell turns you on, or whose eye color you find alluring and you want to know why . . . Now, back to The Racy Parts . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars evolutionary biology explains everything!, July 15, 2009
I picked up this book initially because I wanted to know the answer to the question in the book's title: Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes? (because I do!). The book explained several questions that I had been curious about. Since I am a face man, I was curious to know why certain faces are so irresistible to me. The answer was surprising and yet completely understandable in evolutionary biological terms. An attractive face is a symmetrical face, indicating genetic and developmental health of the individual and therefore his or her attractiveness as a mate. Why is long hair sexy? It's not obvious, but again it's explained by evolution and biology. Can semen in your body from your partner make you happy? Why do men have more casual sex than women? You can say the answer is that they are dogs, but that's not the evolutionary reason. And for you singles: you should know that intercourse with a partner is more satisfying than masturbation. Love makes you blind. It turns out it's not just a saying. What body language do men or women use to let you know that they are interested? This too has to do with the evolution of human behavior.

I learned a surprising amount of evolutionary biology and psychology from this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!!! Perfect gift for your girlfriends!, November 29, 2008
I absolutely LOVED this book. I found myself compulsively quoting parts of the book in subsequent conversations and referencing study after study giving friends relationship advice. It's packed with numerous anecdotes, factoids and reveals so much about human sexual behavior and what biological imperatives drive our preferences in dating. The book is so insightful and interesting I bought copies for all of my girlfriends...definitely a great conversation starter! Its packaged really well to appeal to a wide readership - a breezy read that's well-written, substantive and refreshingly fast-paced. If you have any interest in evolutionary biology, you may already be familiar with some of the studies referenced (like how your partner smells is important, and if monogamy is natural) and then there are some really fascinating lesser known studies on how the length of your index finger is an indicator of your testosterone levels...and on and on....The book is really packed with so much stuff that I am reading it again for a refresher! HIGHLY recommended.

The writer also has a very good blog, for those of you who are interested in the topic of evolutionary biology, that she updates quite frequently. It's featured on Amazon's site, but you can view it off her website directly - as there are new studies coming out almost daily: [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Overview of the Biological Psychology Behind Romance, June 22, 2013
As a senior psychology major, I am pretty careful about purchasing popular psychology books, but this was a great find. It gives a good overview of the biology behind attraction and romance. Pincott uses good science without using the heady vocabulary that can accompany accurate science. If you're looking for an in-depth study on any one portion of this topic though (i.e. I bought this book with an interest in scent and attraction), this is probably not the book for you. It doesn't focus on any one aspect very long. I do love the ability to flip to any one topic in the book and just read without having to read the whole book preceding that section for it to make sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating! Learned so much, October 16, 2012
Theres so much to learn and everyone is fascinated with sex and "getting sex" this book gives you the pure facts. Ive studied seduction and sexual attraction, ive looked at everything possible...this was my best resource.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better living through Chemistry?, July 21, 2012
R. Klein (Rocketville, Maryland - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?: Bodies, Behavior, and Brains--The Science Behind Sex, Love, & Attraction (Paperback)
I don't know exactly what I expected out of this book. I guess I didn't think it would be a guide for women to find mates. While it certainly had a scientific bent - discussing the role of chemistry, through hormones, pheromones, and other chemical influences on human (and animal) behavior - and giving biological and evolutionary rationales for how we behave and choose sex partners and/or mates.

But it kept falling into the realm of an advice column, or as someone else noted, seemed like it could have been written for Cosmopolitan Magazine. While it didn't seem to profess being written for women, there seemed to be a lot of places where it came down to... "Girls, if you're looking for a mate, try this." And it is addressed to women, not an inclusive audience of women and men. The audience is addressed specifically by gender. I felt a little like I was a sneaky interloper in a "how to" book for women.

Some interesting commentary on how women and men differ on the biological and behavior levels. Different signals that might attract, repel, or otherwise communicate between the sexes, and examples of how those compare with similar modes of communication among other members of the animal kingdom.

But after a while, I started to feel like it was dragging on. The references to Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging to see what part of the brain reacted to these images, or those concepts, or this aroma all started to run together. So did the repetitive role of oxytocin (the cuddle hormone) or plasma levels of testosterone and estrogen in so many descriptions of how and why we do what we do when interacting with another person.

Much of the human behavioral pattern description was interesting. I guess for me, it just got bogged down. And then evolved into advice on how to use these biological cues and tricks to choose, attract, and hook a man. And woe to the woman who takes the advice too much to heart, treating prospective mates as biological machines, and trying to manipulate them through their, and her own chemistry.

Though, I must say, I liked how these descriptions sometimes provided possible biological, evolutionary and behavioral rationale behind some very common (conscious and/or unconscious) behaviors at a party or at a bar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart and Provocative!, March 7, 2009
I thought Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes? would be a fluff book. Actually, it is an amazing read that goes into detail about all the latest science behind what attracts people to each other. It's about the biology, neuroscience, genetics, and so on behind love and attraction, and presented as questions and answers that are fun and go down easy. The author based all the answers on actual scientific studies. Lots of facts that are actually useful in dating.

The questions were all interesting and sometimes deliciously outrageous. Does absence really make a man grow fonder? How do the seasons affect your sex life? Why don't people go into heat like other animals? Are people really monogamous by nature? Some of the answers I guessed and others were real zingers.

Fun, well-written, interesting. I loved it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bedtime Book for You & Your Sweetie, November 26, 2008
I love compilation books, but "Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?" takes the cake. This book is filled with fantastic golden nuggets of information about love, sex, attraction and much much more and it's in an easy to read question and answer format. This is a great book to bring to bed at night - you and your sweetie can take turns asking each other questions and whoever wins gets ... Seriously, although this book is based in biology, psychology evolution and the neuro- and cognitive sciences, it is anything but boring. You'll find all the answers to those burning questions that you always wanted to know - like what's the average size of a man's .... and all of those tidbits of information that you might never have thought of, such as "why does something dangerous and exciting increase attraction"? Or, "is chocolate really an aphrodisiac?" The questions and answers go on and on. If you are looking for a great holiday book this season that is fun, intriguing and scientifically sound, I highly recommend "Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally. Some real help., October 15, 2008
I saw the author on tv and thought this book would be a perfect gift for my friend who can't get a date to save his life. I ended up giving him a bottle of bourbon and keeping the book for myself.
Ms. Pincott wrote a book that guys can use.
I mean, it looks kind of girly but it's full of well researched scientific facts.
I had no idea that there is a reason I turn my head to the right when I kiss. Who knew?
This book is like eavesdropping on a girls night out.
I found myself digging through my toolbox for my tape measure to find out my digit ratio. Strong silent type.
There are many questions in this book which I thought were truly helpful to a man. It's like having a hot woman friend tell you the truth about sex and dating.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›