5.0 out of 5 stars What a fun little camera! Takes great pictures, too.
I bought the Fotodiox version of the Recesky DIY, assemble-it-yourself camera from Amazon. The assembly was pretty easy (warning: Springs C and D are swapped in the assembly manual), and I had my camera done in less than an hour. Today I shot a test roll through it and had it developed. I scanned at home on my Plustek 7600i scanner, using VueScan.

Observations...
Published on March 9, 2012 by Hyun Yu

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Lomo, Not Crazy Over It
I bought this camera a few weeks back and I wanted to put it together and shoot a roll of film with it before I wrote my review. Overall, this is probably the best option for people interested in shooting 35mm with a Lomo-style camera, but there are a few hang-ups I have with the product.

First, I will say my experience in building the unit was consistent with...
Published 20 months ago by Kalaab M. Pickering

5.0 out of 5 stars fun TLR lomo kit, December 6, 2011
This review is from: Genuine Fotodiox DIY Lomo Camera, Twin Lens Reflex, TLR Camera Kit (68 Pieces, with Detailed Instructions, Uses 35mm 24 Exposure B&W or Color Film) (Electronics)
I picked up this DIY lomo TLR a few weeks ago.
Assembly was a pleasant after supper distraction with clean cut parts and decent instructions full of diagrams.
The unit is compact and lightweight with easy operation. Its great for starting conversations on street corners and at events. The first couple rolls came out with a soft dreamy finish due to the plastic optics. I've had a lot of fun rediscovering lomo photography, its been reminiscent of vintage Dianas and Holgas but with that fun TLR operation that leads to some different perspectives and dynamic shots. Its really grown on me and i cant state how much fun it is

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Novelty Camera, October 13, 2014
This was a great little expirement, nice and easy build, and is a pretty good Lomo camera! It's a definite buy for its novelty.

3.0 out of 5 stars a little difficult, June 15, 2014
cool gift idea, finally got it together despite how difficult it was to assemble, haven't gotten the film back yet

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dad Loved It, April 17, 2014
Bought this for my dad's birthday and he loved it. It took him about 2 hours to assemble. He was very satisfied. Best gift I've given in a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat Little Project with a Challenge, February 28, 2014
Deadman (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
My GF saw this kit and thought it would be a fun little project to build a working TLR Camera. The price was very reasonable at about $18US. I liked that the parts were laid out in an orderly fashion in the packaging. However, the instructions weren't entirely clear as to what to attach to what and how all the time. It often took a lot of time and thought to figure out exactly what the directions were trying to say. And while we weren't expecting kevlar, some of the parts were quite fragile and took some minor repairs in order to continue construction. Overall, the finished product is a fun little toy that takes some nice quality pictures. I find it a fine camera for the photography hobbyist who finds the artistic quality in imperfection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor instructions, ordered 2 and neither had the correct spring for assembly, February 4, 2014
ML (Northern IL) - See all my reviews
Don't waste your money, instructions need improvement, incorrect spring sent with both cameras ordered. Hoped to assemble 1 good one out of the 2 that were ordered. My daughter was very disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT.....EVEN WITH ITS FLAWS, December 12, 2013
This was easy to put together and takes awesome pics if you have a steady hand. Directions were easy to follow but be sure to read carefully the entire section youre working on because it may seem as though youre doing it right but be all out of order and then have to backtrack (I did a lot of backtracking mostly because im stubborn and didnt want to read the whole thing)

There were three things that are not so good but tolerable about this camera. One: When you flip the shutter lever it causes the camera to move and you get a blurred photo. you must use a stand or be very steady. Two: after taking my first set of photos I removed the film and noticed one of the cylinders had cracked while winding the film up. I super glued it and it seems to be fine but I really cant figure out what caused it. Three: the frame marker showing that you have wound enough and are in the next frame just doesnt move and cant seem to figure out whats wrong with it either.

The last two issues may only be with mine and there is a possibility that I put it together wrong somewhere but really its a cool camera for the price and putting it together was fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap build but what do you expect, November 11, 2013
michael paniagua (clare, MI United States) - See all my reviews
So there is nothing about shutter speed or aperture but there is a shutter release and it works. Pretty straight forward build and takes standard 35mm film. Ergonomically not the best camera but fun to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to build, fun to shoot!, August 21, 2013
You can't get too serious about a $15 camera can you? Well, if it's not what you expect, it's not worth getting all bent out of shape, I guess. It's $15!

For me, I thought it was fun to build. The mistakes in the instructions were pretty obvious. Go into it with low expectations and an open mind and you'll be delighted.

The only roll of film I shot with it came out with a lot of bad shots, but I had a lot of fun. I got ONE totally awesome, completely enlargeable and frameable shot that I will put on canvas and hang in my house, and that made it all worth it even if I never shoot with it again. For $20 total investment in camera, film and developing and an hour of my time spent having fun building this thing, I don't feel like I could have gone wrong in any way.

Build it. Enjoy it. Don't expect too much. Receive a lot in return.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good project!, August 3, 2013
Understanding the limitations regarding film movement. I used whiteout to mark the zero point. It took a roll of film to figure out the advancement. I only use black and white 400 iso. Fuji has one that can be processed with c-41 at any photo center. It's not true black and white, but it cheap and fun!