5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
Published on October 2, 2011 by Robert

3.0 out of 5 stars camera kit
when i bought it i didn't know i had to put it together'it was a challange but i got it put together.it was fun
Published on June 4, 2012 by mindo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Genuine Recesky 35mm Lomo TLR Camera DIY KIT (GakkenFlex clone) with Assemble Tool & Roll film (Electronics)
This camera kit was perfect for me. I love assembling things, and this was quite a challenge. It took me over 2 hours, and the biggest challenge was being careful. I actually broke something at one point, and fixed it with a bit of superglue. (DON'T screw the screws in too hard!) Anyway, I purchased this exact kit on a very popular auction site, Buy it Now for 13 dollars free shipping. I have met SO many people just from receiving comments while I walk around with this camera! I got the film developed at Walgreens (which the first time I had ever gotten film developed), and the photos were BEAUTIFUL. I used Fujifilm Superia X-Tra Iso 400 that amazon sells.

If you wan't a camera that is inexpensive, fun to assemble and use, will receive compliments all the time, and will take very unique, artsy photographs, then stop here (or buy this on another website for 1/3 the price).

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, September 10, 2011
I don't know what the other poster with the 3 star review is talking about. This camera was meant as a LOMOGRAPHIC camera. It is a direct copy of the gakkenflex. It takes amazing vignette type photos. yes, the die-hard SLR camera shooters are gonna hate it. but if you bought this camera, its most likely that you are interested in lomography; not that whole SLR stuff. I had no trouble understanding the instructions (and mine were in CHINESE!) and all the pieces were correct and there. The camera works perfectly and takes amazing photos. you have to remember that the camera is set at a shutter speed of 1/125 so its ideal for bright sunny days. you can get away with a grundgy effect with indoor lighting. overall, amazing product and great design. well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Toy Camera, November 29, 2011
This is an excellent kit for anyone who is interested in lo-fi photography. I have owned this camera for about a year, and it produces surprisingly crisp photos with beautiful vintage colors and vignetting that rivals some of my Holga photos.

Putting the camera together takes a big of patience and a good 2-3 hours. The instructions that come with the camera are in Chinese, but this website ([...]) provided an excellent picture guide that made the process much easier. It is particularly important to spend extra time getting the shutter release right. I had to take my almost fully-assembled camera apart because once I screwed everything in, the shutter wouldn't flip back closed.

Also important for assembly: the two focus rings need to be tightened all the way...I was afraid I was going to snap them off by accident, but they need to be able to screw all the way in so the lenses don't fall off when you're focusing the camera during use. This was really hard for me to do with my bare hands, but grabbing the focus rings with a towel or clean sock (to get a better grip) and twisting definitely helped.

Now, the camera works perfectly, and I couldn't be more in love with the photos I get from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a Great Camera, June 6, 2012
First, the issue of the instructions being in Chinese is easily solved by Googling "Recesky Camera Instructions English". There are at least ten pages of translated instructions complete with pictures with each item identified in English on the pictures. The camera took me about an hour to put together using those instructions and was really easy to do too. Remember what others have said too, tighten the screws carefully, it is plastic so you can strip out the socket easy if you over tighten them. Once you have it together though this is a great little camera for what you are paying. Cameras like this but made by the manufacturer cost a lot more. The assembly process also gives you the ability to easily trouble shoot the camera should repairs be needed, after all you put it together in the first place. My order also lacked the "Assemble Tool" as well as the "Roll Film" but the friendly folks at Amazon took good care of me so it all worked out.

The pictures it takes are different that what many of you are going to be used to getting. First, this is film, not digital which gives your pictures a richer color depth and, in my opinion, a more artistic feel and look. The main subject of your shot is what is going to be clearest with the rest of the shot slowly fading out of focus, this is lomography and makes your subject really stand out. The picture seems to glow with life. This type of camera excels for portraits and still life studies and when properly used can make your work look like a pro's.

Maybe this isn't the camera for everyone but I love it. I was raised on film pictures so taking my film to the drugstore is nothing new for me. I like the feeling of excitement you get as you wait for your pictures so you can see if they came out as nice as you hoped they will. I really enjoyed learning what is inside the camera and assembling it myself too. Overall I can easily recommend this camera kit to anyone who is serious about taking pictures of this type.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, December 15, 2011
I really love toy cameras and I purchased this on a whim. As a college student, I have little free time but I absolutely loved putting this camera together. The packaging says it takes about 1 hour.. it took me closer to 3 hours. I also needed to watch a video tutorial on youtube for some of the trickier instructions. Developing film is pretty much a dying art but there is just something about it that 1 up's digital prints. Keep in mind that it's just a toy that happens to take some great shots. I am extremely satisfied and plan on buying more for gifts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock and Roll, January 24, 2014
1, you look cool. 2. your pictures will look even cooler. I took this bad boy to Rome and the pics are phenominal. You can get very creative with indoor lighting but it works best in bright light. It's a challenge to assemble with the supplied chinese instructions, but there are plenty of You tube videos to help out. I put it together in about an hour and a half. Happy Shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun little camera, August 12, 2014
I bought this camera kit at my local photography store.

And build it up today. It's a bit tricky to put it all together. Specially the shutter mechanism. I had to try a couple of time to get it working well. My advice to you is being patient and before you put it all together make sure the shutter mechanism is working properly. That's because sometimes there's not enough spring tension to make it work as is supposed to. So place all the springs like the manual says. Then try. If it doesn't work try adding more 'tension' to the springs to make sure the shutter opens.

If it works properly continue to assemble the camera.

Now. Being a plastic camera means that the lenses will be plastic as well. So expect some distortion. But that's the cool part. And that's why is called a lomo camera.

Now to specs(?) I read somewhere that has a f/8 lens and fixed shutter speed of 1/125th of a second so it is not a fast lens neither a fast shutter.

It's all made of plastic. Except for the springs, screws and 1/4 inch nut that's acts as a tripod mount.

The manufacturer recommends 200 or 400 ISO speed film.

If you have access to a laser cutter you might be able to make different appertures for the camera.

In terms of focal length. No idea of what it could be. I'm thinking that's between 85 to 100mm.

It seems to be a really fun camera to use. I'll have to give it a couple more tries.

And that's it basically. Once I have my pictures developed I'll come with a more comprehensive review.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome gift idea, December 11, 2013
Super cool gift idea and fun for even experienced photographers takes about an hour to build but is super easy to do

5.0 out of 5 stars A Test of Patience, July 3, 2013
I wouldn't like to rehash all the positive and negative comments about the product. Once you have completed assembling the camera, it is truly a sight to behold. Not quite what I expected and certainly not the same like my Yashicat Mat 124G.

A strong word of advice. Allow yourself a lot of time and concentrate on doing nothing else but paying attention to the instructions which are difficult to see since all the pictures are shaded in black so that you really cannot see the details. Go to the websites mentioned and look at these to get the sequence correct.

Also, get yourself a good and long pair of tweezers. One of the most difficult parts was to pick up the tiny screws which are small like the ones you find in eye glass repair kits. With that said, work over a light colored carpet in case the screws to drop it is easier to find.

Also get a cheap jewelers screwdriver set. In some parts of the camera having one either short or long neck screwdriver just won't cut it.

Incredibly, the easier part to assemble was the shutter mechanism once I kind of pre-fitted the springs and other components and actually observed the sequence of rotations between the springs and shutter mechanism.

Took me almost four hours with 1 break after two hours due my mishandling of the mirror which I tried to force into the body. One of the mounts for the case screws became bent and had to be repaired with gorilla glue which actually made it stronger.

Otherwise, I am pleased to acknowledge that the assembly was a success. Took a lot of time but a project well worth it. Would I do it again. Maybe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun camera and educational (but sometimes frustrating) assembly. Google for tutorial, February 6, 2013
the ESL instructions are awful. instead, use the instructions here: [...]

after i found this amazing tutorial, i was able to assemble my camera easily, only referring back to the packaged instructions when i needed to reference a part name.

have fun!