Mark Ryan's book is a fine reference for the ideas of geometry and the logic of proofs. Ryan deals with geometry in an easy way and doesn't ignore the harder parts but explains them very well. I thought the book was very complete and I especially liked the way he introduced transformations.

For high school students the good book is Tutor in a Book's Geometry,...
Published on November 24, 2008 by Jim Andrews

2.0 out of 5 stars Good overview but it doesn't give you any problems to work.
This is a good overview of basic geometric concepts. It even shows some proofs worked out. The problem is that it doesn't give the reader any problems to work out on their own. You can't learn math by passively reading a book. You have to work problems.

Published on September 28, 2009 by C. Martin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Good overview but it doesn't give you any problems to work., September 28, 2009
C. Martin (Pensacola, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)

The author has another book called "Geometry Workbook For Dummies". That book provides several exercises for the reader in each chapter. The reader will get practice in both writing proofs and solving geometry problems using algebra.

In addition to the practice it provides, "Geometry Workbook For Dummies" has almost identical text to "Geometry for Dummies".

So in the end there is no need to buy "Geometry for Dummies". Save yourself the money and just buy "Geometry Workbook For Dummies". You'll get nearly the same text with problems to work out also.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Reference for the Ideas of Geometry and the Logic of Proofs, November 24, 2008
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)

For high school students the good book is Tutor in a Book's Geometry, but for adults who have a genuine interest in learning about the basic ideas of geometry I highly recommend Mark Ryan's Geometry for Dummies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Address the Problem Students Face, January 18, 2009
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a solid well written book that does a good job explaining the ideas of introductory geometry. But that's not the problem facing my students, which is organization of concepts and developing a structure on which to hang that knowledge. I have parents buy this book thinking it makes geometry easier which it doesn't. I also don't think some of the topics are laid out very well. A fact is presented on one page then you have to turn the page for the sketch. I've seen the tutor book the other teacher/reviewer mentioned and that book is much more visual and effectively gives students learning and memory tools. Mr. Ryan's book is definitely one of the good "Dummies" books in that the author knows his subject and is a good writer. But for the high school kids I teach, understanding's not the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Explained the "Dummies" title., October 3, 2012
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)
I recently purchased this book for my 15 year old daughter, who is having problems with geometry. When she told me this, I immediately thought of this book because I have one for windows xp. I explained to her that it didn't mean she was dumb, because she's not, and that the only dummie is the one that doesn't look or ask for help. So she has it and she passed a test! I told her that she's not out of the woods yet, so keep at it. That,s why I give it 5 stars. It helps my daughter that I love so much.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book but Not the Best for Young People, May 23, 2009
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)
We got this book out of the library and there aren't any exercies in it. Then at Back to School night the teacher recommended Tutor in a Book geometry book. We got that book and my daughter did well in the class (she got a B and math is very hard for her). Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars cala, May 6, 2012
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)
I received this book in a very timely manner. This book is very complete in the information that I need and more to teach certain math classes when I substitute teach in math.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT Buy Geometry for Dummies, May 27, 2013
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)
Do not buy Geometry for Dummies. Instead, buy the Geometry for Dummies workbook. I spent a couple of hours studying out of Geometry for Dummies chapters 1 and 2, and then attempted some practice problems out of the workbook. To my annoyance, I found that the two chapters that the geometry workbook covered what was in the other book and more! And the workbook covered the information with such short and precise sentences that immediately resonated with me, rather than the superflousness that was inscribed throughout the chapters in the Geometry for Dummies book.

You will learn faster and better reading and studying from this Geometry for Dummies workbook. Trust me. You will learn faster and better.

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best geometry book, May 13, 2013
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)
In the beginning the book starts out very well. In the higher chapters the author lacks on explaining what is being taught.You need to reread what you just read to understand the concepts. To make the book even more difficult, all the theorems are laid out all over the place. There is one place where some of these theorems are listed, just not at all of them. In addition, many times he would run through a topic really quickly, meaning, he won't elaborate on something that you may not understand and right away he would go on to the next section;very frustrating. I don't care if the book if boring or not because I am just trying to use this info to remember Geometry for a class I have to take but I would not recommend this book as it lacking more revisions to make the book more understandable and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help for a bright kid just not quite getting it, May 22, 2012
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)
My son, a very bright lad, was struggling with Geometry. I gave him this book and he got it! Before we knew what happened, the whole class was asking to barrow it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even I can understand it., January 8, 2012
This review is from: Geometry For Dummies (Paperback)
If you are really bad at math and nothing makes sense at all, this is the way to go. The workbook is also very helpful and has all the answers in the back.
But the cartoons accompanying each chapter have less comedy than a children's funeral at auschwitz. And the cartoonist is a blatant Gary Larson theif minus the wit, cleverness, and non-sequitar. Take this in account before buying the book, realize part of the purchase price goes toward paying a cartoonist who ought to be in prison for plagarism.
The publishers obviously add the cartoons to the beginning chapter to deceipt us into thinking geometry is fun, breezy, and light-hearted. Nothing could be further from the the truth or proof. (get it, that was a geometry joke)
Geometry was systematticaly set up by ancient greek sodomites to shatter and destroy the egos of hunters, soldiers, and football players globally. Who cares how many square feet are in an acre of humboldt purple? Math is for communists and liberal sympathizers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Geometry For Dummies
Geometry For Dummies by Mark Ryan (Paperback - January 3, 2008)
$19.99 $15.32