Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now HTL

Format: DVDChange

don't ask how an item not for sale can be reviewed...this aired on HBO and I've watched it a half dozen times.
Like George's last DVD (HBO Special) Life is Worth Losing, It's Bad For Ya will scare and offend many. For those wanting the hippy dippy weatherman or A Place for my Stuff or Baseball/football type of humour light, this will feel like a sledgehammer. For those of us who have grown over the years with George and appreciated his loud wake up calls ...from his dissing George Bush 1 and the gulf war on....this is more vintage Lion in Winter George. Lambasting the child worship culture,the fraudulant SELF ESTEEM movement, pointing out that unlike his father , Governor bush, hasn't truly been elected president in the traditional way, and our dead relatives aren't hoovering above us guiding us through our daily duties. There is much more to the set..and while I slightly prefer the previous Life is Worth Losing due to its in your face wake up approach..there is much to enjoy here and take note of ....George claims that we are soft and easily placated with cellphones that make us pancake and rub our balls! ...and he's right. Oh...and he suggestes if you really believe you have RIGHTS? Google Japanese Americans 1942 and find out about your precious RIGHTS!

RIP George Carlin...he never took the easy way...he never flinched from the truth and he always kept growing...14 of these specials over the years ....what a treasure!!!

UPDATE: I just got an early copy of the DVD...the bonus 7 minute performance (in color) from the Jackie Gleason show in 1969 is a riot!!! very cool to see George in a suit/tie short hair...doing a normal non-confrontational stand up...

and..the 32 minute bonus "Too Hip For The Room"...which I believe was pulled from a 3 hour tribute to a WONDERFUL bonus feature...I wish they would have all 3 hours but this 32 minutes is sensational...the value of this package just went up up up...

review image review image
on July 31, 2008
I was fortunate enough to be in the audience the night this last HBO Special was taped at the Wells Fargo Center for the Arts in Santa Rosa, CA. The DVD taping was done the night before the live show on HBO, but George was in fine form, even though it was becoming more apparent that he was not well. I am so anxious for the release of this DVD so I can see it again - but we all loved the show the night he performed it. A true comic genius has left us and will be missed. I am just glad I got to see him one more time in person before his sad death.
on July 29, 2008
Being a lifelong fan of Georgie boy (50 years),and already possessing all the other HBO specials ( All My Stuff ),and enjoying this last one before we even knew it'd be the last...sigh...and checking daily for a pre-order page...well, I understand " reviewing before releasing."
We'll never see the likes of Georgie boy again...
on June 15, 2009
I believe George Carlin did 28 HBO stand Up specials of original material during his career. Although his last, "It's Bad For Ya" is one of his best efforts. Recorded while 72 years old, George proves why he was the best in his field. Sharp as a tack, George pokes fun and exposes every hypocrisy from religion, politics and bad parenting. I defy anyone to watch this and not cry from laughing so hard.
on April 19, 2011
George Carlin is my personal favorite comedian ever!! He may be blunt and honest and extremely vulgar....but his comedy is just of epic proportions. He is one guy who can take sensitive subjects (death, religion, etc.), and make great humor out of it even if he does make fun of them (which i don't mind at all considering my personal feelings towards religion and death), and I just can't stop laughing the whole way through. He also is very original by thinking of things people never do, such as the cliche topics and conversation and phrases at funerals and weddings. He also makes you think with the analogies. It's incredible what this genius George Carlin comes up with. I also agree with almost everything he talks about and says. I recommend this DVD to anyone who is NOT easily offended by anything, and who takes everything pretty lightly and is wiling to hear a lot of off color jokes. It is by far my favorite comedy DVD I have EVER seen!!
on April 5, 2011
carlin's best. he touches on his usual subjects with extra clarity and vigor.His reality comedy is surely missed and I was happy to complete my collection with it's bad for ya.I bought the set of all his HBO specials and consider it the prize of my DVD collection.I watch one or two shows every month and enjoy them a bit more every time I watch them I think.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2009
What a perfect way to go out, GO OUT BIG!, I mean seriously, George left us suddenly and unexpectedly but he left us a legacy of laughs that can never be taken away from us and IT'S BAD FOR YA is absolutely no exception. From the get go, George had me going until he left the stage when he was done, it was pure comedic genius.
He goes on and on and on and you cannot help but sit there and think about what this man is telling you, YES, he's a comedian and YES, he's supposed to make you laugh but he also makes you think about this stuff and realize that maybe...just maybe we are all in a world of S**T!

The Special features were great too, the first one was an Interview with George taken from the Archives of American TV found at EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORG and the other was his performance 40 years ago on the Jackie Gleason Show, it was pretty funny for TV that is anyway.

I loved the DVD, it was his last performance and as far as I'm concerned, he went out on top and he'll stay there for eternity!

on September 11, 2010
Though I don't officially own this DVD yet I have seen the performance on HBO and I personally think it was a great show. I admit I don't follow a religion and I myself am an atheist like George Carlin but after seeing many of my family members pass on personally I do believe there is a point in everyone's life where they just know their going to pass on. This show was not meant to amuse everyone like some people seem to think it wasn't Georges usual "Hippie dippy weatherman." bit because he didn't want it that way. This was his final rant his last chance to tell the world what he thought and yes some of it is a repeat performance from some of his later bits but how many times has your grandfather told you the same old story? Anyways the point of this review is to let new viewers know that this DVD is not going to be wacky George Carlin its going to be George as himself getting his last few words in for everyone to hear. Having watched it under that context I truly enjoyed it as it had ALOT of truth in it believe it or not.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This was George Carlin's final performance; taped before a live audience on March 1st 2008, in Santa Rosa, CA (he would pass-away later that year). In "It's Bad For Ya", George for one last time, treated us to his acerbic wit and one-of-a-kind comedy! Here, he examined and dissected the American cultural-landscape once again: obsession with and control of children (he called it; a sophisticated form of child-abuse), people's incessant and meaningless chatter (a form of ADD, if you ask me), stupid religious and superstitious sentiments, false patriotism, corporate and government BS, etc. If you're a George Carlin fanatic like I am, you will love and be pleased with this talented man's 'last hurrah'. Thankfully, we can always look back at his long and brilliant career, through the many DVD and album collections amassed over the years. Not to be missed! The DVD picture and sound quality by MPI is excellent. NTSC, English (English subtitles), extras, NR 69 mins.

Love and Peace,
Carlos Romero
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2010
This is the second DVD I've purchased. The first one was for myself and the other was for my father's 71st birthday. Everytime I watched the DVD I noticed there were many similarites between George Carlin and my father that I had to give this to my dad so he could laugh too. It's classic stuff and George Carlin puts his usual spin on the subject. Unfortunately it's his last recorded stand up DVD so it's a prize as well.

My husband and I plug in the DVD whenever there's not much on tv and/or need a good laugh. We've watched it so often that we can recite lines to each other, especially when we're in situations that George talks about, i.e., Was it 8 years or 5? Being around people for about a minute, minute and a half, and being an old f--k, not an old man or old fart. Then there's the subject about placing your hand on the bible or wearing hats in church.