5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT for a dorm, a busy couple or a single
Published on December 19, 2012 by Stephanie Sullivan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good little grill for the price
Published on December 16, 2012 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT for a dorm, a busy couple or a single, December 19, 2012
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
I've had a several variations on the small George Foreman grills. I have literally worn most of them out, and they last when cared for! I use my GF a LOT. They are great when making a meal in the summer. It doesn't noticeably heat the room like the broiler in my oven and I think it uses much less power all year round. They are just the right size for one or two people.

I cooked steak, lamb, pork, chicken, salmon, tuna, cod, haddock, bluefish, trout, and a bunch of stuff that just isn't coming immediately to mind. It was all great. The biggest danger is over-cooking because it's so fast and cooks from both sides at once.

When cooking for one and there is space behind a steak or pork chop, I put slices of veggies like bell pepper and onions back there to cook with the steak. Behind the steak is a steamy spot on the grill and these veggies cook to perfection in the same time as the steak. Sometimes I rub them with olive oil for a nice taste.

The tilted design is great to get rid of grease and the hot plates sear the surface to seal in juices and flavor. With fish I like to use a very light coating of Mayo which seems to help make pink and white fish even more detectibly moist and tasty. With steak and meats the grill works great with rubs and spices. I really like the Paul Prudome "magic" line of spices. Yum! Even cooking a whole trout is great, albeit I needed to slice it in two at the ribs so it all fit at once. About 6 minutes between the plates and done to yummy perfection.

If you freeze steaks, a 6 oz 3/4" thick steak frozen solid and dropped on the hot places will be done to medium in just about 10 minutes, in my experience steak cold out of the fridge of the same size/thickness is done to medium in about 5 to 6 minutes. The timing is just about second nature now.

The non-stick surface isn't perfect, though pretty good. Be careful with forks/knives and use a plastic spatula to remove fish as it has a greater tendency to stick than anything else.

Cleanup is oh so easy. While one must not put their little GF in the dishwasher or immerse it (I wish the plates were removable!) it's still pretty easy to clean.

First, just after the food comes off I give it a quick hot wipe with a paper towel to get the bulk off. Just takes a second to do this. After the meal I finish the clean-up by hanging the front of the GF over the sink and using a soapy wet sponge. I thoroughly wash the plates and clean the catch tray. Then I use the clean catch tray to rinse the plates of soap, then drain it and both air dry. Water all flows into the sink and it's really clean. It all takes a minute or two.

This is a great tool. If it wasn't so great why would I keep buying them? :-) I even keep a spare on the shelf in case my current 4 year old one fails. I love my GF and its saved so much of my time while giving me great food to enjoy.

Update May 2013:
I've moved to a new GF Champ (the current one was bought 4 years ago) and the cooking times seem to be a little longer than my old one. Just a little reminder that while all the GF Champ variations are virtually identical (except for the plastic shell) there are small individual differences in how hot they get and cooking times may need small adjustments between units. I find the same thing is true in Microwave ovens. A small adjustment.

I still love my GF Champ and have given just about one of every champ model to friends or family members.

4.0 out of 5 stars George Forman Champ Grill, April 7, 2013
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
I just bought this grill and it was delivered in 2 days. It replaced an earlier one that I had for about 8 years which was losing its non stick coating.

The size of this grill was a little smaller than my first one and I was a little surprised even though I had written down the measurements.

However it turned out to be a blessing in disquise. It is still large enough for my needs and the benefit of the smaller size is less weight and less counter space and easier cleaning. Actually it is so light that I can hold it with one hand so that running hot water runs over the plates while holding with one hand without getting into the wiring or the underside. That enables me to use those separately sold sponges to easily clean the grille. Then wipe it dry with a paper towel.

I had initially wanted to purchase a grille with the removable plates for washing in the dishwasher, but after reading all the customer reviews it appears that those models do not heat up sufficiently to really sear the meat.

This model heats up quickly and heats up to a higher temperature than my original model, easily searing the meat. It will cook a 1 pound hamburger or two thick pieces of pork in 5 minutes.

I would recommend this model to single people who want something quick, easy and economical. Get the sponges as they are worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good little grill for the price, December 16, 2012
Chris (Jackson Heights, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
I cook a ton of stuff on my Foreman - chicken, pork chops, and steaks. I got this smaller one because I live in a small NYC apartment and you have to be wary of the footprint of everything. The main issues I have with it are that it's kind of a pain to clean because the plates aren't removable and the power cord is just way too short. Again, it's an NYC thing and probably not an issue if you live in a larger, more modern apartment with lots of counter space and outlets nearby. For me though, I have to position it oddly or use an extension cord.

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too small, May 21, 2013
Pamela "PW" (ROOSEVELT ISLAND, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
I didn't even try it - you would not be able to cook more than one (decent sized) hamburger at a time on this - the photo shows 2 burgers - they must be very small. Also, it doesn't have a floating hinge so the burgers (steak or whatever is to be cooked) must be quite flat. I gave it away and ordered a larger grill with removable plates and a floating hinge... I loved my old George Foreman grill that I had for many years - and which did not have removable plates - so I look forward to the new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, January 5, 2014
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
the best item in my kitchen,cooks in minutes/tastes good ,easy clean up .has a grease drip thing .nice gift for busy person

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, January 3, 2014
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
Exactly what I needed for one person. Cooks meat evenly and cleans well with the George Foreman Sponges. I found that the regular sponges also work but takes more effort and time with regular sponges.

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone needs one!, January 1, 2014
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
My dieting-friend eats a lot of chicken; this is perfect for her. And it'll go great in her red kitchen!

2.0 out of 5 stars Grill, December 31, 2013
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
This was a gift for my mother, I loved the color she enjoyed cooking her first meal on it, she just wishes it a
was a little larger. Say for instance, to cook for at least 2 meals. However I may be purchasing another for her still, through Amazon. ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably wouldn't do this again, November 16, 2013
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
Food stuck on the grill on first use. Can't imagine how bad it will stick after many uses. So disappointed. My old one worked for years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as my old one..., November 10, 2013
This review is from: George Foreman Champ Grill, Red (Kitchen)
Not as good as my old one. Now there is another black one that is not in this selection that is the same size and it is this one: George Foreman GR0040B 2-Serving Classic Plate Grill, Black. I will get this one next time and hope I don't have the same problems. The Champ Grill that I got this time, though, for which this review is for overheats on the top grill. It does not take much and it burns no matter what I cook. Its not even close to done and this happens within the first minute or so in starting it. Others have stated this too in the reviews but I thought maybe they got a bad one. It even burns the bacon and its not even cooked yet. Should I have bought the white one instead of the red one? Maybe its cooler on the top? I think not so will try the other one mentioned above and hope it does not have the same problems.

George Foreman Champ Grill, Red