1,097 Reviews

1,249 of 1,262 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great for an ELECTRIC grill
Before I get into this review, we have to understand the product we are looking at: a George Foreman ELECTRIC grill. George Foreman products are essentially useful variations of hotplates. In this case, the hot plate takes the form of a grill (with a stand, a dome cover, a large cooking surface with raised grooves etc...).

That being said, this product caters...
Published on March 22, 2005 by Guest

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons of the Foreman Outdoor Grill
This grill is handy if you can't have open fires (gas, charcoal) on your patio or deck. It also can be used inside, unlike gas or charcoal (they emit carbon monoxide, so they can't be used indoors.)

Pros:

1. Can be used on decks and balconies where gas or charcoal are forbidden as a fire risk.

2. Small footprint, can be used tableside or...
Published on June 20, 2006 by Joanna Daneman

1,249 of 1,262 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great for an ELECTRIC grill, March 22, 2005
Guest (Fairfax, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill (Kitchen)

That being said, this product caters to people (me) willing to try a product that is not a traditional charcoal grill, could be useful in smaller spaces/porches, looks like it is easy to use and clean up, could potentially cut some fat (never hurts, right?), and seems like it will work well as a good back-up grill or a quick solution to throwing mini-bbqs requiring even heat distribution without the hassle of buying/lighting/dumping coal. If that's you, then read on...

Here, I'll try my best to outline the grill's pros and cons, as well as do a quick, inevitable comparison it to a traditional charcoal grill.

PROS:

The pros of this grill basically equal the pros of using hot plates in general:

1) Quick Heat - The whole surface heats up very quickly (you'll be ready to cook in a few minutes after you twist the switch)

2) Design - Basically you have the stand, a bottom dome, the flat grill that sits on the bottom dome, then the lid (top dome). You can easily remove the flat grill part to use indoors separate from the stand, and it also makes for easy cleaning since you can just throw the flat grill surface in the sink.

3) Easy to Clean - The grill surface is relatively easy to clean. Understand, grease is never easy to clean. But in my situation, i wipe off the chunks of grease with paper towels, then run hot water over it in the sink (yes it fits in my sink) and wash it with a soapy sponge. It's basically like cleaning a big oily plate by hand in the sink, however easy or hard that is to you.

4) Space Saving - The bulk of the materials are where it should be: the grilling surface. Everything else (aka the stand) is small and portable.

5) Easy to Assemble - A no brainer. Put the pole of the stand into the foot of the stand. Attach the grilling surface to the bottom dome. Stick that whole thing on the stand. Then put the cover on top. Took a few minutes while I was watching TV.

6) Great Tasting Food - Of course this part is important. I tried cooking everything unseasoned and it just tastes great. I mean, this this one thing I love about hotplates...food tastes good without a lot of seasoning. I cooked unseasoned burgers, top sirloin, chuck roast, kielbasa..it was fast, it tasted good, and it had good looking grill stripes on it when I was done.

Cons:

Seriously, not much that I can think of. If I had to be picky:

1) Could be a little heavy for people with a bad back?

2) When you lift it by the handles, the stand comes out (since they're not really "attached"....the grill just sits on the stand.) So you gotta lift it by the pole of the stand, really...this isn't even a con truthfully.

3) People complain about the grease not dripping into the pan. Well, it's a hot plate with grooves and a hole in it for grease to drip. Of course not all the grease magically swims toward the magical grease drip hole. But still, it works fine...I didn't notice sever grease build-up that stood in the way of my grilling.

Comparison to a Traditional Grill:

Really, there shouldn't be a comparison. Obviously this is not a charcoal grill and should never be compared to one. They are just 2 different things, and so they make food taste different: traditional grills basically fire cook your food through the coal's heat so you get the taste of charcoal while this product essentially "pan sears" your food. I'm a long time lover of all kinds of BBQ, and charcoal grills are great fun, make great tasting food and really cannot be replicated. You shouldn't be buying this grill to ever *REPLACE* a charcoal grill; it should be bought to be a 2nd grill that's great for rainy days or a primary grill if you really have no space and don't have time/space to deal with lighting and dumping charcoal.

Overall, this grill is an electric hot plate with raised grooves that makes great tasting food quickly, quietly, and easily. And for what it is, it's a SUPERB product (and relatively affordable too!). Go get one! I didn't regret my purchase and I don't think you will either.

5.0 out of 5 stars backup grill, November 15, 2000
This review is from: George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill (Kitchen)
Originally I saw my mother's George Forman grill (smaller indoor one with lid). Then I saw my brother's Party Size grill. Both of them love their grill. I was able to taste the food from both and found it very tasty and easy to use. I decided to do some investigating on my own intending to purchase the party size grill, when I saw the indoor/outdoor grill. I was impressed with the fact that it appeared to be a bigger cooking surface and the price I found was within reason. I purchased it for the purpose of using it as an extra grill for a cookout I was having. No one used the gas grill at all. I have since used it indoors without the stand, making it convient on rainy days. It is the easiest grill to use and clean that we have ever owned. You can cook everything evenly, because there are no coals to level out. It can easily hold 4 to 5 steaks, 10 big hamburgers, and the list goes one. I am sure there are some drawbacks to those that swear by gas/charcoal grills, but my gas grill has found a permanent residence in our shed, while George sits ready to use at any time indoors or out on our back porch. I am so impressed, that I am purchasing one for my parents for Christmas, to replace the charcoal grill that takes for ever to heat up and messy to clean. I'm sure they'll love it too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons of the Foreman Outdoor Grill, June 20, 2006

Pros:

2. Small footprint, can be used tableside or on pedestal

3. Foreman (Salton) quality is generally reliable

4. No gas or charcoal lighter flavor (I don't like the gas flavor.)

5. Quick heating

6. No need to replenish a gas bottle or run out of charcoal.

Now the Cons:

1. Be careful of the fat drainage; if you clog the hole, it can get ugly, real ugly.

2. On that note, if you have a composite deck--one made of resin and sawdust or even a wood deck, any spilled fat or juices will stain your planks. An outdoor rug or mat under the grill is a good idea--something that will catch drips.

3. The grill really isn't as hot as really hot charcoal or gas and you won't get that char-broiled taste. No different than cooking indoors.

4. Requires an outlet. You really shouldn't use an extension cord. The wrong one can short out or get hot, or they are a hazard for tripping over.

If you are in an area that does not allow open fire or outdoor grilling, this is a very excellent alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars George is right. It actually does what he claims it will do!, December 1, 2002
This review is from: George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill (Kitchen)
I bought this grill 4 months ago and have used it several times per week ever since. I am a very lazy cook with 3 hungry teens and a hubby who eats like he's a heavyweight boxer. So, I needed something that would cook and clean-up as easily as possible. I can turn on the grill (it has an adjustable thermostat), take out a package of frozen chicken, hamburger patties, whatever, prepare it as usual, and the grill is ready to go to work. Dinner is on the table in no time. Its non-stick surface is just that, making clean-up simple and quick.
I am quite happy with the surface area, as I can easily fit 8 large burgers on at once. I live in the frozen north, so the fact that this grill will also work indoors is plus.
It's portable, reliable, easy to use and clean, and a bargain compared to other outdoor grills.
George put his name on a very good product.
Update: I have owned this grill for 2 1/2 years now and it still works like new!

4.0 out of 5 stars Drip pan is too small, March 4, 2005
This review is from: George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill (Kitchen)
My only problem is the "convenient" drip pan. Maybe i'm the only one who likes to cook more than one thing at a time; but anyways, the fat and juices of the meat quickly overflowed the tiny drip pan and ran out the bottom making a mess everywhere. The "convenient" drip pan is located under the hot metal plate and you just try and empty it while cooking. Luckily I was cooking outside!! The grill works surprisingly well and the food produced was just excellent. Be aware of this problem or you might not be so lucky.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far I love this grill!, August 17, 2005
This review is from: George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill (Kitchen)
It is raining today and I want to cook steaks. Since this grill is light weight I picked it up and put it under the roof of my stairs. After 5 minutes I noticed I was getting dark grill marks so I turned the probe from the recommended 5 to a 4 and cooked another 7 minutes. OH MY! Juicy tender wonderful steaks! Someone mentioned it didn't taste right and all I can figure is maybe don't cook two different meats on the same side...perhaps mixing the wrong juices?
Anyway, I love this grill... easy to clean, lightweight and food is wonderful without all of the flames and having to buy propane. I lined the drip tray with tin foil which you can move all of the grill scrapings into this slot for easy pick up later. Plus I like that they made the drip tray quite large.
I'm sold on this bbq! I am going to try turning down the recommended heating time for other items too..I cooked chicken yesterday and that seemed to cook too fast and burned the skin.

I'll never look at another gas bbq'er again :)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Foreman grills and you like ribs, get this puppy, May 6, 2002
E. Lambeth (Paso Robles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill (Kitchen)
Of all the Foreman grills I've seen and used (and I now own three of them), This grill cooks the most food at a time (even more than the Grande sized steel indoor/outdoor that's [money] more expensive), and in my 30 year old house, I've never had a power outage due to the grill. Those who have trouble with the Grill's electricity might want to look into the deeper problem they're having. It's NOT the grill.
Cooking times should be about the same as a gas grill. I cooked chicken, steak, shrimp, and veggie skewers for about 2 minutes a side (for 8 total minutes) per skewer. With the marinade I used, it tasted REALLY good. For steak, go 6 a side. Don't overcook your steak. Leave it Medium rare.
Chicken: 6 minutes a side. Just like steak. I'm talking about skinless, boneless breasts. I haven't tried drumsticks.
For steak, use salt, pepper, accent, garlic salt, and Montreal Steak seasoning on both sides of the cow. Don't use A1, don't use Worcestershire. I swear it'll taste a lot better than the 'burnt' flavor you get from steakhouses who think all it takes to cook a steak is setting it under a flame. Fire shouldn't be your only steak seasoning! And for those who think the Grill doesn't make the meat taste good...well no kidding! That's why you SEASON MEAT. You're cooking on METAL! HELLO!!!!
Washing this thing is a breeze, no matter how long you leave it sitting. I could leave the cooktop sitting for a week, and it'll still be easy to clean. It's easier to clean than the smaller Georges.
Some mention having to turn the meat over when you cook on this grill. That's very true, but you should have to do the same on the smaller George grills, even with the heating element on the top. Even in smaller grills, I ALWAYS turn the meat over halfway. That makes for even cooking. Don't be so lazy. All you have to do is turn meat. Nobody's asking you to cure cancer.
I still use the small Foreman (the family size) for cooking on thick steak at a time or about 3 or 4 chicken breasts. But when I'm cooking for several or if I'm cooking RIBS, I use this dome topped barbeque. It's totally Rockin'!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an indoor grill, September 2, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill (Kitchen)
I bought this grill because of the great reviews it got on Amazon. It is easy to put together, but seems a bit wobbly on the post. Someone wrote that there's nowhere to put the lid-- actually it has an attachment that allows the lid to hang off of the grill. The grill does work well, but I do NOT recommend it for indoors. We have a small apartment with a white rug, and luckily I put some paper bags over the floor just in time before the lid (while hanging over the side) dripped all over the floor. Also, quite a bit of steam rose, and I began to worry about our smoke detector, sprinkler system, and scorching the ceiling... not to mention the grease spattering the walls. Luckily, we have a balcony, where I intend to do all of the grilling from now on. Another thing is that from the reviews here it seemed like the grill is very easy to clean. Actually, you have to take apart the grill and I scrubbed at the grilling surface with a brush in the sink (the grill is quite large, so it doesn't fit so well in the sink). Of course the non-stick surface helps, but cleaning up is not trivial. Other than these things, I'm happy with the grill.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't say enough - great product!, August 21, 2006
This review is from: George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill (Kitchen)
Where do I begin? I jumped on the George Foreman grill train about 1 year ago with this grill and I will never get off. It works like magic. I turn it on about 5-8 minutes before I am ready to put the food on it and it never burns or cooks anything unevenly. I have taken the grill tub into my kitchen in inclement weather and the house did not catch on fire or smell like smoke for a week. Indoors or out, this is a great grill. My husband is the typical 'man of the grill' and at first he didn't even want to go near it because it "plugged in and wasn't a real grill." Now I can't get him away from it. HA!

Here's a fabulous grill tip: grill corn in the husk for 20-25 minutes (until you see the outline of the kernels, a bit black) and remove the husks with paper towels and all the silk comes off perfectly. The corn tastes smoky. YUM! I did this on my GF grill and it came out perfectly. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great boon for Florida grillers!, August 1, 2002
This review is from: George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill (Kitchen)
Florida in the summertime is a difficult time for those of us who love outdoor cooking. It's rather hard to keep charcoal lit in the middle of a downpour - and those downpours happen just about every day this time of year. What's the solution? This grill! I set it up in the kitchen, plug it in, and I'm ready to cook.
This grill has a large cooking surface, sufficient to handle 8 hamburgers with no crowding. It can also handle 6 large chicken-breasts or 4 good-sized steaks. The non-stick surface allows you to turn the meat often without tearing it. Don't use metal utensils with this grill! You'll damage the coating.
Cleanup is a breeze. I let the grill cool down to where it can be handled with bare hands, and then wipe off the worst of the grease, bbq, or whatever with a damp paper towel. Then I put it in the sink and hose it down with hot water. A few swipes of a soft soapy sponge removes any remaining traces, and a final hot rinse takes care of the soap. This method preserves the non-stick surface, which other reviewers have complained about.
I use the grill at least twice a week. Sometimes more. I never thought I'd give up my old charcoal grill, but I have. "Big George" has made a convert out of me!

George Foreman GGR50B Indoor/Outdoor Grill