Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Black|Change

on March 22, 2005
Before I get into this review, we have to understand the product we are looking at: a George Foreman ELECTRIC grill. George Foreman products are essentially useful variations of hotplates. In this case, the hot plate takes the form of a grill (with a stand, a dome cover, a large cooking surface with raised grooves etc...).

That being said, this product caters to people (me) willing to try a product that is not a traditional charcoal grill, could be useful in smaller spaces/porches, looks like it is easy to use and clean up, could potentially cut some fat (never hurts, right?), and seems like it will work well as a good back-up grill or a quick solution to throwing mini-bbqs requiring even heat distribution without the hassle of buying/lighting/dumping coal. If that's you, then read on...

Here, I'll try my best to outline the grill's pros and cons, as well as do a quick, inevitable comparison it to a traditional charcoal grill.

PROS:

The pros of this grill basically equal the pros of using hot plates in general:

1) Quick Heat - The whole surface heats up very quickly (you'll be ready to cook in a few minutes after you twist the switch)

2) Design - Basically you have the stand, a bottom dome, the flat grill that sits on the bottom dome, then the lid (top dome). You can easily remove the flat grill part to use indoors separate from the stand, and it also makes for easy cleaning since you can just throw the flat grill surface in the sink.

3) Easy to Clean - The grill surface is relatively easy to clean. Understand, grease is never easy to clean. But in my situation, i wipe off the chunks of grease with paper towels, then run hot water over it in the sink (yes it fits in my sink) and wash it with a soapy sponge. It's basically like cleaning a big oily plate by hand in the sink, however easy or hard that is to you.

4) Space Saving - The bulk of the materials are where it should be: the grilling surface. Everything else (aka the stand) is small and portable.

5) Easy to Assemble - A no brainer. Put the pole of the stand into the foot of the stand. Attach the grilling surface to the bottom dome. Stick that whole thing on the stand. Then put the cover on top. Took a few minutes while I was watching TV.

6) Great Tasting Food - Of course this part is important. I tried cooking everything unseasoned and it just tastes great. I mean, this this one thing I love about hotplates...food tastes good without a lot of seasoning. I cooked unseasoned burgers, top sirloin, chuck roast, kielbasa..it was fast, it tasted good, and it had good looking grill stripes on it when I was done.

Cons:

Seriously, not much that I can think of. If I had to be picky:

1) Could be a little heavy for people with a bad back?

2) When you lift it by the handles, the stand comes out (since they're not really "attached"....the grill just sits on the stand.) So you gotta lift it by the pole of the stand, really...this isn't even a con truthfully.

3) People complain about the grease not dripping into the pan. Well, it's a hot plate with grooves and a hole in it for grease to drip. Of course not all the grease magically swims toward the magical grease drip hole. But still, it works fine...I didn't notice sever grease build-up that stood in the way of my grilling.

Comparison to a Traditional Grill:

Really, there shouldn't be a comparison. Obviously this is not a charcoal grill and should never be compared to one. They are just 2 different things, and so they make food taste different: traditional grills basically fire cook your food through the coal's heat so you get the taste of charcoal while this product essentially "pan sears" your food. I'm a long time lover of all kinds of BBQ, and charcoal grills are great fun, make great tasting food and really cannot be replicated. You shouldn't be buying this grill to ever *REPLACE* a charcoal grill; it should be bought to be a 2nd grill that's great for rainy days or a primary grill if you really have no space and don't have time/space to deal with lighting and dumping charcoal.

Overall, this grill is an electric hot plate with raised grooves that makes great tasting food quickly, quietly, and easily. And for what it is, it's a SUPERB product (and relatively affordable too!). Go get one! I didn't regret my purchase and I don't think you will either.
3535 comments| 1,632 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2000
Originally I saw my mother's George Forman grill (smaller indoor one with lid). Then I saw my brother's Party Size grill. Both of them love their grill. I was able to taste the food from both and found it very tasty and easy to use. I decided to do some investigating on my own intending to purchase the party size grill, when I saw the indoor/outdoor grill. I was impressed with the fact that it appeared to be a bigger cooking surface and the price I found was within reason. I purchased it for the purpose of using it as an extra grill for a cookout I was having. No one used the gas grill at all. I have since used it indoors without the stand, making it convient on rainy days. It is the easiest grill to use and clean that we have ever owned. You can cook everything evenly, because there are no coals to level out. It can easily hold 4 to 5 steaks, 10 big hamburgers, and the list goes one. I am sure there are some drawbacks to those that swear by gas/charcoal grills, but my gas grill has found a permanent residence in our shed, while George sits ready to use at any time indoors or out on our back porch. I am so impressed, that I am purchasing one for my parents for Christmas, to replace the charcoal grill that takes for ever to heat up and messy to clean. I'm sure they'll love it too!
33 comments| 714 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This grill is handy if you can't have open fires (gas, charcoal) on your patio or deck. It also can be used inside, unlike gas or charcoal (they emit carbon monoxide, so they can't be used indoors.)

Pros:

1. Can be used on decks and balconies where gas or charcoal are forbidden as a fire risk.

2. Small footprint, can be used tableside or on pedestal

3. Foreman (Salton) quality is generally reliable

4. No gas or charcoal lighter flavor (I don't like the gas flavor.)

5. Quick heating

6. No need to replenish a gas bottle or run out of charcoal.

Now the Cons:

1. Be careful of the fat drainage; if you clog the hole, it can get ugly, real ugly.

2. On that note, if you have a composite deck--one made of resin and sawdust or even a wood deck, any spilled fat or juices will stain your planks. An outdoor rug or mat under the grill is a good idea--something that will catch drips.

3. The grill really isn't as hot as really hot charcoal or gas and you won't get that char-broiled taste. No different than cooking indoors.

4. Requires an outlet. You really shouldn't use an extension cord. The wrong one can short out or get hot, or they are a hazard for tripping over.

If you are in an area that does not allow open fire or outdoor grilling, this is a very excellent alternative.
2828 comments| 492 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2002
I bought this grill 4 months ago and have used it several times per week ever since. I am a very lazy cook with 3 hungry teens and a hubby who eats like he's a heavyweight boxer. So, I needed something that would cook and clean-up as easily as possible. I can turn on the grill (it has an adjustable thermostat), take out a package of frozen chicken, hamburger patties, whatever, prepare it as usual, and the grill is ready to go to work. Dinner is on the table in no time. Its non-stick surface is just that, making clean-up simple and quick.
I am quite happy with the surface area, as I can easily fit 8 large burgers on at once. I live in the frozen north, so the fact that this grill will also work indoors is plus.
It's portable, reliable, easy to use and clean, and a bargain compared to other outdoor grills.
George put his name on a very good product.
Update: I have owned this grill for 2 1/2 years now and it still works like new!
22 comments| 497 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2015
YES get it! I love mine!! I just got it in today and did a batch of 8 Oklahoma onion burgers and had room to spare!! I started off at turning the dial to "5" and that charred one side of the burgers so then turned it down to 3 and a half. So 3.5 to 4 is a good number to turn the temperature dial to. Which maybe instructions would say that... I didn't look any up online and the only ones it comes with are on how to put it together which took a whole 5 minutes at most. It's very easy to put together and you'll be grilling in no time!

NO they aren't going to make your food taste like charcoal... I don't know why anyone would think anything other than charcoal would do that... That being said- who on earth does anyone want food that tastes like coal and chemicals? I sure won't miss lugging bags of charcoal and lighter fluid home!!

The dome lid? Genius! It locks in the moisture and it made for the most juicy burgers you'd ever had- hold the grease! After cooking 8 burgers the grease tray looked pretty full. They were large burgers though. So i'd say maybe between batches for fatty foods like burgers that you would have to lift the plate up and drain the fat. It does have open slats in the grill bottom so if the grease tray goes over, it'll come out the bottom. That could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Ha.

No it doesn't come with an actual thermostat but you can easily drill you a hole into the lid and screw one on there. They are available here on amazon or your local hardware stores.

Hope this helps!!
on September 5, 2014
GREAT for anyone in an apartment or otherwise. Best way to cook bacon there is. All the grease is saved in the little pan, and not splashed all over you or your kitchen. Also nice for campsite cooking (even most tent sites have an outlet). Cleans up easily with dish soap and a sponge, Heats evenly across the grill as well.

There really are no instructions for assembly other than one picture, but it literally goes together in about 2 minutes with no tools needed at all!

If you want to use it as a counter top grill you simply lift the grill right off the stand and away you go. No fasteners or latches to break or fumble with.

REALLY couldn't be any easier to use and care for!
on May 13, 2015
This is the 1st time I am writing a review, because I am so happy with this product. I can't have a real BBQ at my apartment, so I purchased this and it is amazing! Feels just like grilling, even inside!
As you can see from my pic the cord is very short, so you might need an extension cord. Also, this one doesn't come with any way to clean it, so I bought an electric grill an panini press brush, it works perfectly.
on August 25, 2015
Initially it was a great grill for a small patio... but after using it (no abuse) to cook fish, chicken etc. the Teflon started to stick and became progressively worse.. 11 weeks of use and I could not get the grill clean... this is not acceptable at all.
on August 21, 2006
Where do I begin? I jumped on the George Foreman grill train about 1 year ago with this grill and I will never get off. It works like magic. I turn it on about 5-8 minutes before I am ready to put the food on it and it never burns or cooks anything unevenly. I have taken the grill tub into my kitchen in inclement weather and the house did not catch on fire or smell like smoke for a week. Indoors or out, this is a great grill. My husband is the typical 'man of the grill' and at first he didn't even want to go near it because it "plugged in and wasn't a real grill." Now I can't get him away from it. HA!

Here's a fabulous grill tip: grill corn in the husk for 20-25 minutes (until you see the outline of the kernels, a bit black) and remove the husks with paper towels and all the silk comes off perfectly. The corn tastes smoky. YUM! I did this on my GF grill and it came out perfectly. Enjoy!
on April 23, 2010
I've had my GF electric grill for a year now and I love it! In our apartment complex they don't allow grills on the patios (they provide "park" grills which are GROSS) but they couldn't say anything about this grill because it's made for indoor grilling.

It heats up super fast (quicker then I can get from the grill to the 'fridge and back!) It cooks evenly and if you wipe it down (carefully) while it's still hot it cleans up in a jiffy!

If you want a quick, easy and delicious outdoor grilling experience I highly recommend this item.

Watch out for wind gusts! My top just went flying, that's what got me on Amazon.com today to write this review. I don't need a new top but just in case I wanted to see if I could get one.

Cheers!