Customer Video Review     Length:: 8:38 Mins
1) There is no on/off button. You plug it in and it starts to heat up. Meaning you must unplug to turn it off.

Published on September 21, 2010 by Erik1988

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price
For the record, I already have a pretty decent panini maker. I was excited to try this one because of the ability to change plates and to open it up flat. This is what I found:

Pros:
Published on October 19, 2010 by Meredith

4.0 out of 5 stars The typical Foreman grill, but with some additional versatility, September 21, 2010
This review is from: George Foreman GR0742S 3-in-1 Panini Press, Grill and Open Griddle with Double Cooking Surface (Kitchen)
Length:: 8:38 Mins

2) Storing it was a bit difficult as the handle makes it an awkward shape to fit into standard cabinets. I finally had to stand it up on its back in an extra high cabinet. Maybe deeper shelving would help. It's not a flat unit, so you can't stack skillets and the like on top of it very easily.

3) In the video I comment on how maybe I should have used the flat grill for the turkey patties. Wife corrected me saying the panini hot plates allow the fat to drip down easier.

4) Manual comes with cooking time suggestions on several types of foods along with some recipes in the back of the manual.

5) After the end of the video/cooking I was away for 20 minutes with the grill open to cool. It was plenty cool enough in that time to remove and wash the hot plates.

6) As you can see, I can fit about three fist-sized patties flattened onto a single side. I find it very funny that the stock photos show only two pieces of bacon. I personally would not cook bacon on this thing since the grease splattering that normally comes with bacon will go everywhere! Talk about a mess to clean up. But its a great size for pancakes and you can cook one on each side at the same time.

7) The non-stick hot plates clean up easy enough with some hot water and soap.

8) Wife was unimpressed with how cheap the unit looks. The old style white Foreman grills didn't look this cheap. But that's looks. . .it still cooked just fine.

OVERALL: It's another Foreman grill with some added versatility to handle thicker items or give you more cooking surface when needed. Heats up fast. Cooks fast (depending on what you're cooking) and cleans up easy. Other than the aesthetics and storage challenges, this is a great unit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, October 19, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Pros:
1. Removable plates make it incredibly easy to clean. Much easier than mine current panini maker without them. The fact that I was able to stick them in the dishwasher made me so happy after I grilled some salmon.
2. The ability to open the hinge and make pancakes was a real draw.
3. The plates were very easy to change.
4. It is compact and stores easily.
5. Heated up quickly and had the adjustable heat settings that made it easy to cook different things.

Cons:
1. I didn't like not having an on/off switch. Needing to plug it in each time and unplug it when done was a pain in my butt.
2. While the plates were easy to put on/ take off, the top never really lined up with the bottom when closed.
3. The drip tray was nice, but not when you tried to open it and make eggs. Nope.
4. We found that the top wasn't heating at the same rate as the bottom. So much so that we were needing to flip sandwiches halfway through. Not sure if this is manufacturing error or just how it works, but that was the final straw for our usage.
5. The top seems too light for a panini grill, which needs the pressure to help cook the top of the bread.

So all in all, we are not keeping this one and continuing to use the $50 one we got at Target with that Giada lady's name on it. Its bigger and not as flexible, but works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice grill with good features, September 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The George Foreman 3 in 1 Panini Press, Grill and open Grill with Double Cooking Surfaceis the second grill we've had that has the grill/panini plates/and open grill. The first one was a Cuisinart which was quite a bit heavier - I'm not really sure why. The only other difference was that the plates were heavier, and the grease collection was a bit more cumbersome, making cleaning more difficult. It also had 3 heat controls, as opposed to the one control on The George Foreman 3 in 1 Panini Press, Grill and open Grill with Double Cooking Surface. The first one had a bit larger grilling surface, and was a bit more solid, but this is neither good nor bad - it just is what it is. We've been able to use this grill to make hamburgers, panini's, and pancakes. I'm sure many more things can be made on this, these are just the things we've made so far.

The features I like about this grill are a single grease collection area - whereas other grills sometimes drain grease from the outer corners of the grill, this one drains grease from the inside center of the grill into a drain plate underneath the grill. Having a central draining area makes the grill easier to clean. The plate underneath is made of plastic, and cleans up easily. Another feature I like, but my husband isn't sure about is that this grill has only one heat control. I like having 1 control - I know if the grill is on, and what it's set on. The other grill had 3 controls - 1 for temperature (200-425 degrees)- which was called the "griddle", the central control called "selector" which chooses between the griddle, or grill/panini, and then the control on the right hand side called "Grill/Panini" and the controls are warm, low, med, high, and sear. I never knew if the grill was on until it got hot. There was no indicator light or anything else to indicate the grill was on and heating. My husband preferred the grill with 3 controls because he felt it gave him more control over the heat. I don't agree. Even though there were 3 controls, the only one that really mattered was the Griddle control - which actually set the temperature of the grill/griddle.

Both the Cuisinart grill and the George Foreman grill have heating elements on both sides - the top and the bottom, which is necessary for open grill or griddling. Both grills plates attach the same way - there are clips on the inside, middle of the griddle, and is released by means of two buttons that can be pushed to release the plates. Inserting the plates, as well as releasing them is easy, and there are no problems. Releasing and cleaning the plates is easy as can be. On both grills there's a place to wind and store the cord.

The George Foreman 3 in 1 Panini Press, Grill and open Grill with Double Cooking Surface is a great choice in a moderately priced grill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Functionality Vs Aesthetics - Functionality Wins the battle!, September 21, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The 3-in-1 Panini press from George Foreman reviewed here is no different than most of the George Foreman grills product with an exception that this "Compact design" works as a press and contact grill adjusting itself to the thickness of the stuff inside your Panini and when needed and it can be opened as flat surface for a small family-sized griddle cooking or grilling.

The heating element (1500W) puts out adequate heat on both of the cooking surfaces and heats up pretty fast, I was impressed by this, It can help cut down the cooking time, Sadly, the unit did not have a power OFF/ON button, which was a disappointment, The included power cord length is little too small and unless you have a kitchen top counter which has a power outlet close-by or you will find fumbling with extension cord to power this Panini Press.

The large handle is intended to help the pressing process of making Panini but the same becomes awkward for storage as it tends to stick out a lot larger than the grill and the handle cannot be used to carry this thing around as you would expect. The Large handle is only for pressing the food to create those restaurant style markings on the Panini bread.

The included double non-stick cooking surfaces are plus, but I cannot be certain how long the cooking surfaces will last as it looks slightly cheaply constructed. The overall unit does feel on the flimsier side! But does it's job pretty well for the price.

The cooking of pancakes were attempted on this and the results were good, Do not expect to cook a lot of stuff on this as it was designed with Panini in mind and some light duty grilling, Anything that can create a lot of grease will be a big issue for this grill as the Grease tray has a very little opening to catch the grease and can be messy to clean-up.

Once the Grill has cooled down (Can take up-to couple of hours) you can clean the cooking surfaces pretty easily and they are dishwasher safe.

I cannot speak of the longevity of this grill as I have had it only for couple of days, but looking at the heating element construction and power cord it can last couple of years easily with light to moderate cooking.

It is not a very expensive product that will pinch your wallet, just under $80 it is a worthwhile purchase if you solely intend to do Panini presses and some restaurant style markings on the bread plus adds the possibility of making pancakes and other quickie' sandwiches.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Product, melted itself., May 26, 2011
I was looking at more expensive grills, but I thought I could save some cash and get this decent looking George Foreman. Wow do I with I had only saved my money!

Unpacked the item, read the safety and instructions, and was all set to put it to use. After plugging the item in, it heated up quickly. Adjusting the temperature knob did not seem to matter. There is a green light that is supposed to light up when the grill is "at temperature." This light never came on...

While warming up, there was a foul smell and some smoke. I chalked this up to "new cooking product" that needs to season itself in. I figure this is just metal expanding and the item getting used to heat.

I throw on a small steak. The grill seems to be extremely hot, even at medium. After only 2 minutes, the outside of the steak was very dark and the inside was still raw. Smoke poured out of the product, and I carefully positioned it under my range hood. I set the product to the lowest level, and the green light never came on. Still smoking and still too hot, I unplugged it.

I finished cooking on the unplugged grill, and was able to salvage the meat. It tasted okay, but definitely burnt on the outside. A half hour later I decided the device must just cook extra hot, and require very short cooking times. I plan to heat up the grill (on low) and then unplug the grill while the steaks cook.

After warming up again, more smoke and popping sounds, crackling. From across the room i notice the foul odor continues so I decide to open the lid and inspect. The green light - still not on. I unplug the device, and check the temp knob... its almost too hot to touch. The device is still on "low"

Im shocked when I open the lid and see these metal cooking plates have MELTED. The center of the lower plate has melted about a half inch downward and is warped. The upper plate has melted downward into the same shape.

Should this thing get so hot that it melts itself? Melts the cooking plates? I really think not. I realize this is a defective device, and most of you will get products that dont try to kill them... But I wont take my chances on a return item. Once this thing cools off I'm shipping it back to Amazon and waiting to purchase a better and SAFER product.

Thanks for reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Kitchen Accessory... 4.5 Stars, September 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used my panini press three times now, and so far I am very happy with it. It is a versatile kitchen tool; you can make anything from pancakes to grilled poulty, tips, or vegetables, and the press feature means that two-sided cooking will make them very quickly indeed. The food guide has been helpful in cooking times; nothing has been dry so far, and in the past, chicken breast, for example, on my previous Foreman grill, had a 50/50 chance at being bone dry. Not a problem with the chicken I've had so far.

The first time we used it, of course, my wife and I made paninis for ourselves, my parents, and my 13-year old nephew. It was downright fun to put the sandwiches together, and we managed to fit three at a time on the surface of the press. The end result was a cache of really tasty, hot, melty-cheesed sandwiches. There is a big difference in the flavor of a ham, turkey, tomato, and american cheese sandwich when it's fresh off the grill like this. We added lettuce post-grill without a problem. Just delicious. And honestly, I don't think I'd do the same thing on a regular stove surface; that's where the novely of this machine comes into play.

Cleanup was so simple; the two nonstick grill surfaces snap off with the press of a button and wash up in the sink in moments. There is also a clever drip tray which slides out and is equally easy to clean. Cleanup this easy makes all the difference in the world regarding the decision to actually use the machine. It's this easy? Break it out and let's make some paninis!

The only reason I take a half-star off is that it is hard to find the cabinet or counter space to put such a device. I'm being realistic about that; if you have lots of counter space, then 1) I envy you! And 2) this is a five-star kitchen accessory in my book. If you don't, then it's one of those kitchen items (food processors, bread machines, vacuum-wrap gadgets) that you love, but doesn't fit easily anywhere, despite its relative small size.

We will deal with the space issue because we really enjoy having this grill; kids will love the sandwiches, and it's always neat to have an indoor grill for when the weather outside makes it decidedly inconvenient to use the big one on the deck.

I recommend it highly, but before you buy it, consider the space you'll need and if the fun novelty and usefulness of such an item is right for your kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy grilling and clean-up. Love this grill! Try my recipe!, September 25, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't have an outdoor grill, so thought I would pick up this GF grill. It's a nice small size and can be used indoors or out (with electric plug-in). The first thing I grilled was not Panini, but zucchini and eggplant. I simply cross-cut the veggie's about 1/4-inch, brushed on some olive oil and salt/pepper, heated up the grill for 8 minutes and then cooked on medium-high for about 6 minutes, turning to get cross-hatch grilling. It was so easy and yummy!

I also grilled a large piece of Oregon Salmon to go along with the veggies. I created a marinade and let the salmon soak it in for about 20-minutes. See my easy recipe below. I used the suggested high-heat for 9 minutes, turned half-way though to get cross-cuts. The Salmon cooked perfectly and evenly.

In addition, the clean-up was very quick and easy. Just pop-out the plastic tray that collects the juices and soapy-sponge clean the two grill plates. Read the short instructions thoroughly before starting and remember to click-in the grill plates and use the buttons to release the plates. There are useful charts included in the manual that give suggested temperature and time settings for various dishes: Sandwiches, Meats, Poultry, Fish, Fruits, and Vegetables. (You can cook so much more than just panini's on this kitchen appliance.)

There are only 6 recipes included in the manual and you can also get more recipes on georgeforemancooking dot com's web site and also check the food network for lots of other grilling ideas.

At 80 dollars for the grilling unit it's well priced, easy to use for all your grilling needs. Added bonus, it includes a 3-year warranty. Use your creativity to create some wonderful foods!

Here's my favorite grilled Salmon on the George Foreman Grill:
2 Tablespoons EVOO
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Shallot, grated
1 Clove Garlic, grated
1 Small Piece Ginger, grated
Juice of 1 Lime
Lots of Black Pepper and Paprika
Mix marinade and let Salmon soak for 15 min or up to 2 hours. Place Salmon on hot grill, close top and grill for 4 minutes. Open grill top and spoon on more marinade, close top and grill from additional 4-5 minutes to your liking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair griddle, OK Panini Press, December 22, 2010
Dr. Stuart Gitlow (Providence, RI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To make pancakes, I typically take a griddle pan such as the Emerilware 11" nonstick pan, put it on my gas stovetop burner set to medium/high, and wait a few moments before pouring on the pancake batter. When a splash of water beads up and runs around the pan, I know the pan is hot enough to start the pancakes.

My first thought with the Foreman 3-in-1 was to see if I could avoid the use of the griddle pan. First, of course, you have to plug in the 3-in-1. The AC cord, however, is quite short. With a standard depth countertop, the cord will just reach the backsplash AC outlet and give you perhaps a foot or so of movement right and left. This limits your choice as to where to park the unit during cooking. Once the appliance is plugged in, it's on and the heating plates begin to heat up.

Since the hot plates are right in front of where the unit is plugged in, you are almost forced into reaching over the appliance itself to get to the plug. This isn't so bad for plugging it in, but can be hazardous when unplugging it at the end of your use.

For pancakes, you'll want to turn the selector all the way up, making the hotplates as hot as possible. You then need to wait for the heat temperature light to turn green, indicating that you've reached the set operating temperature. So I did that and began mixing my pancake batter. By the time I had finished mixing in the egg, milk, and other ingredients, the light hadn't turned green. I waited some more. It was more than five minutes before I got the green light.

I poured on my pancake batter - one pancake on each side - and watched as they sat there in a circle with little apparent heating going on. Very gradually, the pancakes cooked. I saw a few bubbles after a minute had gone by, unlike my stovetop method where at the end of a minute, I'm flipping the pancakes. The low temperature was great for banana or blueberry pancakes as the fruit didn't get burned, but the speed of cooking was such that the pancakes ended up a bit on the chewy side.

My very first time doing this, I realized later that the hot plates had not been latched down against the heating mechanism. I figured that was the problem. My second time through, I ensured that the plates were correctly latched. That didn't really change the heating issue.

Clean-up was easy -- there had been no spatter. Once unplugged and cooled off, the two griddle plates removed easily and were rinsed off in a few moments. Storing the unit is, as others have mentioned, a little difficult. The unit has four cookplates - two flat and two for grilling. One set can be in the unit. So you have a unit that doesn't sit flat and has a handle coming up as well as two extra cookplates that can't really be stored on top of the unit. It's a tough call as to how you'll put this away.

Panini making is easier ... the temperature capabilities of the unit are better suited for panini, and this is obviously the primary mission of the appliance. Even with a relatively thick sandwich, you'll find that the cookplates sit flat on the food and do a nice job heating it through. Again, clean-up is straight-forward but you'll want to use caution with the hot surfaces.

One particular caution is with young children, who may not be used to anything hot on your kitchen counter other than your stovetop. And if your stovetop is gas instead of electric, this may be even more foreign to them.

The build quality of this product is fair for the price. To be more specific, this isn't the most expensive panini press available, and you therefore shouldn't expect it to be as well constructed as the more costly units. That said, there are no sharp edges or easily broken hinge points, so this isn't a unit that would qualify as a bargain basement approach.

Ultimately, if you really want panini regularly, this unit will meet your needs. Although it can handle grilling and griddling, it is not superior to the obvious alternatives of a stove-top pan for either purpose. The stove cooking method will be faster. If, on the other hand, you're having a gathering with friends outside, don't want to use your kitchen stove, and don't have an outdoor grill, this would be a nice way to make some hamburgers (slowly) or hot sandwiches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this grill !, February 7, 2012
I've been using this grill since I received it. It makes the best sandwiches and is so easy to clean. I've made Italian paninis, reubens, grilled cheese, egg sandwiches, French toast....even grilled PB & jelly! My grandchildren love it! My only suggestion is to not get carried away with ingredients that can melt and ooze out. For those loving Italian sandwiches, try using Italian bread and stuff with salami, pepperoni, provolone and roasted red peppers. YUM! This grill adjusts to the thickness of the bread or rolls you are using. It was one of the features that helped me make my decision on which grill to buy. Clean up is a snap which makes this grill one that I use frequently. If you're searching for a grill that does it all, is easy to use and makes to die for sandwiches; then this is the grill for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price!, March 8, 2011
As usual, fast shipping from Amazon. Unit was well packaged both by Amazon and by the manufacturer. I have only used it for panini's so far, but they came out perfectly! Please note in the instructions that it mentions to NOT use a spray non stick cooking oil. I didn't heed this warning on my older George Foreman grill and, over time, the non stick surface deteriorated. Actually, it is not needed at all. The interchangeable plates is a great idea. Overall, great bang for the buck. One downside, the AC cord is very short...maybe 18". My guess is the amp draw on this unit is rather high, so you might be careful with the size of the extension cord if you have to use one. I didn't notice the AC cord getting all that warm during operation.