4.0 out of 5 stars Easy cleanup but should get hotter
We bought this model after dropping and breaking our inexpensive George Foreman "Champ" grill.

Pros:

- The removable grilling plates come off and go on easily, and cleaning them in the sink or dishwasher is a breeze. The base unit doesn't even get dirty!

Published on January 22, 2006 by Victor H. Agresti

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not heat high enough to sear
Published on July 14, 2007 by Martin P

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy cleanup but should get hotter, January 22, 2006

Pros:

- Non-stick grilling plates are sufficiently large to cook hamburgers for three or four people.

- Fat drips into the provided tray with no leaking out the back or sides.

- Floating hinges allow varying thicknesses of food to be held tight on the top and bottom.

- Total time to cook, once unit is fully heated, is faster than broiling the burgers in our electric oven and the grill uses far less power.

- Light enough to hold with one hand, for easy storing.

- Unit lacks a thermometer and temperature control, neither of which is needed for most things. Price is lower as a result.

- Easy, fast, and inexpensive method to cook many foods (chicken breasts, burgers, hot-dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.).

Cons:

- The first time we used a Grilleration to cook hamburgers, we put them on when the temperature light said the grill was hot (around the 7 minute mark), as per the instructions. Instead of grilling the burgers, it slow-cooked them. We suspected this was happening, since there was no "sizzle" sound while cooking. The worst of it was, the burgers had almost no taste, as though they had been baked. Next time, we let the grill heat up for a full 15 minutes before putting the meat on. The plates got much hotter, and, as a result, the burgers sizzled. They also tasted much better.

- Even pre-heating for 15 minutes, this model doesn't get as hot as the less expensive George Foreman Champ model. Further, the plates don't stay as hot during the cooking cycle as the cheaper unit, especially if the grilling plates are covered with food (e.g., 4 hamburgers). This is easily discernable as the "sizzle sound" dies out as the cooking progresses on this model, yet continues to the end on the Champ model. There are two reasons the Champ gets hotter:

1. The Next Grilleration heating coils heat the sealed base unit, and transfers heat to the removable grilling plates, which touch the base unit. The Champ system is more efficient, as its heating coils are bonded directly to the non-removable plates.

2. The 760 watt Champ cooking area is 42 square inches, or 18 watts per sq. inch. The 1000 watt Next Grilleration cooking area is 72 square inches, or 14 watts per sq. inch. (That's 1000 claimed watts. According to a Kill-a-Watt meter, our Grilleration actually draws 955 watts.)

The Grilleration would need to be in the 1400 watt range to cook as hot as the Champ.

Summary:

- Foods needing high heat to grill taste better with the hotter operating Champ model.

- Champ's cooking area is 42 sq. in. versus 72 sq. in. for the Grilleration.

- The Champ is a pain to clean since you can't submerge the base unit, whereas cleaning the Grilleration plates is simple.

Recommendation:

If taste is most important to you, get the Champ model, or, if it's too small, buy two Champs (for less money than one Grilleration).

If ease of cleaning is most important, buy a Grilleration or other [larger] unit with removable grilling plates.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS!, May 11, 2005
This review is from: George Foreman GRP4P Next Grilleration 4-Burger Grill with Removable Plates, Platinum (Kitchen)
When our small original George Forman gave out I bit the bullet, and decided to spend the money on one with more bells and whistles. GREAT DECISION! My husband uses this almost every day to make a burger, chicken breast, etc. I used it tonight, to make fabulous Tilapia filets which took no time and almost no effort (sprinkle w/ Emril's seasoning and grill for five minutes). THE BEST PART.... REMOVABLE GRILL PLATES! I've put these in the dishwasher and washed by hand. No problem and worlds better than the old model with the fixed plates. I'll use this appliance even more now that clean up is no longer a chore!

4.0 out of 5 stars A significant improvement over the originals, October 21, 2005
Mark S. Holden (Monroe, CT United States) - See all my reviews
We got one of the original George Foreman grills several years ago as a gift, and it took us a while to actually try it, but once we did, we ended up using it fairly often for hot dogs, hamburgers, and pork chops. It was convenient - though clean up was a bit of a hassle.

These new ones solve that problem.

I note the new one seems to take slightly longer to warm up - possibly because of the removable plates don't transfer heat from the elements quite as efficiently as ones that are permanently attached, but it's only a couple extra minutes, and once warmed up, it's fine.

Normally I put everything I can in the dishwasher, but I haven't bothered with the plates on this grill yet as they really are very easy to clean with soap and a brush under hot running water.

Another improvement on the newer ones is the hinge allows for thicker meat. We make thick burgers - and used to have to flip them front to back to get even cooking - this is no longer required.

Overall, it's much nicer to work with than the first one we had.

Update: after six months, it's still working well, and the non stick surface on the cooking plates is still easy to clean without bothering with the dish washer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for me!, October 28, 2005
I'm a college girl just getting into cooking, and I've made salmon, burgers, and even bacon on this grill. Having someone say "This salmon was seared perfectly!" the first time you've ever made it is a great feeling! You really can't mess up with this thing.

Pros: The removable plates make clean up pretty easy. My burgers come out perfect every time.

Cons: I wouldn't call this non stick. Everything you make leaves something on the grill, and you really need to get scrubbing to get it off the hot plates when you're done (I find scrubbing the grime off the plates when it's hot is a lot easier than waiting for it to cool). It's also hard to clean the crevice where hinges are (but it's an open hinge, so solid thing that aren't sticky usually fall through).

To the reviewer below: The reason why everything comes out scorched is because you HAVE to wipe down the HOT plates with something to clean off the grease from your last batch--if you don't clean it off, it just transfers BURNT to your next one.

I really don't mind the cleaning so much, and the convenience of having a grill in my small apartment to cook on outweigh the cons for me. I certainly couldn't get a charcoal BBQ up and running.. now imagine cleaning that!

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not heat high enough to sear, July 14, 2007
I owned a first generation George Foreman grill and loved it. When it broke I purchased this one. Unlike my first, this one does not get very hot even after a long wait. The upper unit does not get past warm. The bottom unit will not sear or even cook at a reasonably high heat. The top unit is useless so you have to turn your food to have it cooked on both sides. A fry pan on a stove top does a better job.

My grill went out with my garbage pickup 3 months after I bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Marinate It Will Taste Good!!, July 29, 2005
A Kid's Review
I don't do the cooking with this grill. My job is to clean it and before this we had the grill that did not have removable grills and it was hard to clean. It took me forever to scrub it that I was tempted on many occasions drop it on the floor in hopes it would break so I wouldn't have to scrub and clean it anymore! so when we got this new grill and I was able to remove the grills it was so much better and easy to clean and I love the new grill!

Some reviewers are complaining about their food not tasting good and I think that some of those reviewers are expecting to just throw on a piece of meat, chicken or fish and it's magically going to taste great.

PEOPLE: You have to marinate the food first with a tasty marinade sauce that is either home made or a prepackaged store made marinade. Just let whatever you are going to cook soak in the maranade for a while and your food should taste great!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Knock Out Punch, March 19, 2005
This is the best grill out. It is so easy to clean which was my major complaint with the old Geroge Foreman grills. I had the old one but almost never used it because of the inconvenience with cleaning the cooking surface. Since purchasing the GRP4 I now eat at least one meal a day cooked on it. Now the only fast food I eat is cooked on this grill!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Champion of Grills, May 4, 2005
James E. Carroll (Cape Cod, Massachusetts, United States) - See all my reviews
You will not find a better indoor grill anywhere at any price. This grill with its removable grilling plates that can be tossed in your dishwasher is the best of the rest. It has a sleek design, plenty of room for burgers; with its floating hinge you can cook steaks and chops too. The grilling plates come off and reinstall very easily. If you liked the earlier Foreman grills for the way they cooked, you have to buy this one for the ease of cleaning. You can enjoy your favorite foods grilled all year long!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful small grill, September 7, 2005
Mark R. Bereit (Latrobe, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This was our first George Foreman grill and I can see why people go on about the food they prepare. Very good flavor, very easy to prepare. Being able to easily wash the grill plates is VERY helpful.

My only caution is that describing this as a "4-burger grill" is an overstatement... for the store-prepared 1/4lb hamburger patties we typically use, I can only fit two patties on the grill at a time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A KNOCKOUT!!, August 30, 2005
I love my new grill. This is the first George Foreman grill that I've even owned and I love it! I just love the removeable plates! I also love the large grilling surface. Although, I can' only put 3 1/4lb burgers on at a time, I still love it! It grills them up in no time and its always cooked thoroughly! I have not had my grill that long, so all I've made in it is burgers, but just for that, its great! After all is cooked, I just remove the plates and put them in the dishwasher along with the drip tray and its all cleaned! My mother has an older version and complains all the time about having to clean her grill. I'm glad I don't have that problem!

Rate and Discover Movies