4,654 Reviews
 (3,702)

5.0 out of 5 stars Issues in Kindle Edition have been CORRECTED
Please note date of my review. I am using a Fire HD (previous gen) 16Gb.
Published 15 months ago by in1ear

1,628 of 1,785 people found the following review helpful
Published on August 23, 2012 by Kevin Frey

1,628 of 1,785 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Cost-effective, but a stupid idea putting 5 entire novels into one eBook, August 23, 2012
I wanted to read the Song of Ice and Fire series as an eBook on my iPad, and this set was the most cost-effective means of getting the 5 books, so I bought it. I won't comment on the books themselves at this stage because I'm only 10% of the way through the second book, except to say that I was inspired to buy the novels after watching Seasons 1 and 2 of HBO's Game of Thrones television series.

The blurb for this ebook does not tell you that what you will receive (unless it has since been changed) is the content of 5 books packaged into one single eBook file. This has got to be one of the most most bone-headed decisions I have come across in a long while. I see one icon in my kindle reader that encompasses all five books. So I don't see the covers of the individual books as depicted on the paperbacks.

Secondly, when you have an ebook that is nearly 5,000 pages long, things like trying to scroll to a particular page is not very accurate, and so on. It also means that if I want the eBook on my iPhone, I have to have the entire 5,000 pages on the phone etc.

I realise on the one hand my gripe is not that big a deal, but on the other hand it was very frustrating to expect one thing and receive another. The reality is that the publisher has specifically had to go to the trouble of concatenating these books into one eBook rather than just supplying the ebooks separately as you would get if you bought them separately. And I can think of no good reason for doing this.

In the end, I discovered by chance that Amazon allows you to get a refund on your ebooks within 7 days of purchase, so I refunded the combined set and bought the eBooks individually. Yes it cost a little more but at least I now have a more manageable collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Issues in Kindle Edition have been CORRECTED, November 9, 2013
in1ear (Aurora, Colorado) - See all my reviews
Please note date of my review. I am using a Fire HD (previous gen) 16Gb.
As of this date the criticisms of the Kindle edition collection (mostly from a year and a half ago) have been corrected. X Ray works perfectly, covers of each individual book can be viewed, The maps can be enlarged by double tapping or expanding the distance of your fingers while touching the screen. and the TOC works perfectly for both individual books and chapters within the books using the GO TO function.I'm not sure when others purchased the collection mentioning the "high" cost but the current price is great and is cheaper than buying separately (either Kindle edition, or paperbacks) I too was introduced to G.O.T. through the HBO series. These books are better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, e-book bundle okay, December 9, 2012
This series by George RR Martin is one of the best fantasy series I have read in a long time. He has a compelling writing style, and his decision to write about dynasties instead of a certain group of heroes makes this much more interesting than the standard fantasy plot. His characters feel real, the descriptions of their surroundings are rich enough that you can picture them in your mind perfectly, and the plot is consistent and moving. The five stars are for his writing.

The e-book bundle I would have rated three stars. I think the e-books are a bit overpriced, but the format is okay. All five books are in one document, but you can move easily between them. For some reason this bundle started on the title page of GoT, and I only found the table of content with the links to the single books when I accidentally moved a page back. I almost returned it, thinking there were no links to the single books, which would have been a major annoyance (I wonder if the same thing happened to the reviewers who gave this only one star because of formatting?). Also, only GoT has real page numbers (misleading advertisement!), which means if you are reading one of the later books, if you jump to page 100, you will be back in GoT. Also, if you go to table of content, you will be on the page with links to each book, so it takes you a few clicks to get to the toc of the book you are currently reading. I'm rarely using this feature, but I can understand it would annoy those who do. It would be nice if the titles of the chapters were in the table of content, that would make it easier to jump back to a certain chapter, or follow the viewpoint of a single character. Like in many other e-books I think the publisher does not see the advantage of the format, and many improvements (e.g. X-Ray) which would make for an easier read were not done. But since I prefer this to reaching my luggage limit with books, I have to live with it. I also think e-books, which have no paper, printing, storage or shipping cost, should never cost more than the paper copy (the paperback version of this bundle was $7 cheaper when I bought the e-book). I realize the publisher set the price, which is a stupid policy. E-book prices should be flexible and subject to discounts just as paper copies are, the seller should set the price (and pay the publisher just as with paper books). Hopefully, e-book quality and prices will improve in the next years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondering if you're going to be wasting money?, November 23, 2013
EDIT: I'VE UPLOADED SOME PHOTOS OF MY PURCHASE!

---------------------------------

Interesting series, although sometimes it's a slow read. I don't regret buying this box set at all. If you're a HUGE fantasy fan AND you're really curious about reading this series, give it a shot.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lazy production, December 3, 2013
Anarchangel (Rangiora, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
I love the books, but packaging them as one ebook without a hyperlinked contents page makes navigating nearly impossible. Lazy production values here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally Riveting!, November 24, 2013
This review is from: George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 5-Book Boxed Set (Song of Ice and Fire series): A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons (Mass Market Paperback)
When I first began reading Game of Thrones, I was captivated in a way I had not experienced in a long time. I greedily devoured each and every page, walking to and from the kitchen and bathroom without ever relinquishing my prize. This continued for two whole books. Then, came the third book. I was so emotionally shocked after that reading experience that I consumed the fourth book in something of a lackluster daze. I did not pursue the fifth book at all. When the T.V. series made its debut, I determined, as jaded as I was by then, to give it a shot. But, as quite often happens with great books, I had my own vision of every detail of the story and felt quite possessive of it. I decided, therefore, after a whole half of the first episode, that the T.V. series did not do justice to the books, and I did not deign to waste another second of my precious time. That was approximately 2 and a half years ago, now. Recently, the first two seasons became available on Amazon Instant Video, so I decided, out of sheer boredom, to give it another try. I am now, once again, a slave to this story. The cast is brilliant, especially Peter Dinklage, who plays Tyrion Lannister, and Maisie Williams, who plays Arya Stark. I am, however, to my sorrow, nearing the end of Season Two. Season Three will not be available until February 18 and I do not get HBO, so I have no choice but to wait. I still have not decided whether I love or hate George R.R. Martin, which I suspect is just the way he likes it, but one thing has now become crystal clear: I MUST, right now, today, without further hesitation, begin the inevitably perilous journey that is Book Five: A Dance With Dragons. Don't try to stop me. I must do what I must do. "Winter is coming."

1.0 out of 5 stars Besides so expensive, also problems with navigation & NO real page numbers, September 28, 2012
My first review, and unfortunately it's a negative one. Despite the shocking high cost, I bought this set and picked up reading in book 2 from my spot in the physical book (which I'd bought recently from amazon before buying a Kindle). However, despite the advertising, the ebook did not contain real page numbers, and it was a huge pain to find my spot. Also, navigation to the various maps and appendices in the 5 books is cumbersome and poorly organized. For instance, viewing the appendix for book 5 loses my reading place in book 2, since it's "further." I can't zoom in on the maps, either, which is unacceptable. And this combo does not have X-Ray enabled (though the individually-purchased books do), which is essential for a series like this. Going to the Table of Contents takes you to a master table of contents at the beginning of the ebook rather than the TOC for the individual book you're reading, just making it all more cumbersome. I'm perplexed why this page also says the total page numbers are 819 for all 5 books. Finally, after persevering for a few days, I have returned the bundle tonight, very disappointed with amazon. If they fix these problems, deliver as advertised (and reduce the cost), I will probably try it again. Update: once Amazon adds real page numbers - as advertised! - and enables X-Ray, I will buy it today! How can I get this feedback to the publishers??

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the books, hate the packaging, January 30, 2013
My only complaint is that these books come as one single huge file, rather than as five separate ones. It makes searching and organizing more difficult than it needs to be, and when I eventually purchase the as-yet-unwritten sequels, it will look like I have three books by GRRM rather than seven.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good., April 19, 2014
The shipping took some time, but that's okay. Unfortunately some edges were a little bit squished and the pages are not high quality glued together. Furthermore the writing is VERY small, although it doesn't say "mass market paper back". But still, I really like the book set and it's absolutely reasonable for this price! I wasn't expecting library binding and you get used to the small font. The light weight is also a big plus. The only thing which really pisses me off is, that the first book has a different design from the others and this makes it look really weird in the shelf. It is not as in the picture and this is why I substracted one star. A box set should always have the same basic design. The ugly "NOW ON HBO OMFG THE SERIES ON TV WATCH IT" red banner on the sides isn't very pretty, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series and Great Value, May 21, 2012
J. Patz (Fredonia, NY) - See all my reviews
Not only is this a great series, but the length of it makes it an awesome value as many audiobooks which sell for more and considerably shorter.

I'm about 20% into the 4th book and so far my only complaint (other then the writer's tendancy to kill off the characters I like) is that while the narrator for them is all the same in book 4 he's voicing the characters totally differently which hurts the immersion factor of the audiobooks since it keeps pulling me out of the story over and over again

Overall I would give the story 5 stars but as this is a review of the audiobooks I have to take off one star for the character voicing issue (hopefully I'll get used to it, but all things being equal I'd prefer he go back to the old voicing.)