Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 5-Book Boxed Set (Song of Ice and Fire Series): A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 27, 2015
Extremely pleased with this leather edition. Absolutely stunning. Ten times more gorgeous in person.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
1212 comments|258 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2013
George R. R. Martin crafted a bone-chilling, high fantasy story; I'm angry with myself for hopping on the bandwagon so late.
To pretty much give you the general idea about what these books are about:

"'Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you. Remember that when you come to play the game.'
'What...what game?'
'The only game. The game of thrones.'"

The books — at times — are not a nice read: there’s rape, incest, prostitution, slavery and gore in here. Yes, not a very nice series… but it’s realistic in a way like the middle ages. A Song of Ice and Fire has that atmosphere.

There are also daring knights with shinning amour and swords and hilarious banters; there are winters too cold and wars too heart-wrenching. The books may be terribly long and sometimes a slow read, but they're really fun as well as adventurous ones. Fantasy is the best genre to read to get lost in another world entirely different from our own — especially the long fantasies since one could savour it a little more… A Song of Ice and Fire is one of those long fantasies people should read.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
1515 comments|263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2012
I wanted to read the Song of Ice and Fire series as an eBook on my iPad, and this set was the most cost-effective means of getting the 5 books, so I bought it. I won't comment on the books themselves at this stage because I'm only 10% of the way through the second book, except to say that I was inspired to buy the novels after watching Seasons 1 and 2 of HBO's Game of Thrones television series.

The blurb for this ebook does not tell you that what you will receive (unless it has since been changed) is the content of 5 books packaged into one single eBook file. This has got to be one of the most most bone-headed decisions I have come across in a long while. I see one icon in my kindle reader that encompasses all five books. So I don't see the covers of the individual books as depicted on the paperbacks.

Secondly, when you have an ebook that is nearly 5,000 pages long, things like trying to scroll to a particular page is not very accurate, and so on. It also means that if I want the eBook on my iPhone, I have to have the entire 5,000 pages on the phone etc.

I realise on the one hand my gripe is not that big a deal, but on the other hand it was very frustrating to expect one thing and receive another. The reality is that the publisher has specifically had to go to the trouble of concatenating these books into one eBook rather than just supplying the ebooks separately as you would get if you bought them separately. And I can think of no good reason for doing this.

In the end, I discovered by chance that Amazon allows you to get a refund on your ebooks within 7 days of purchase, so I refunded the combined set and bought the eBooks individually. Yes it cost a little more but at least I now have a more manageable collection.
4747 comments|2,122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2013
Please note date of my review. I am using a Fire HD (previous gen) 16Gb.
As of this date the criticisms of the Kindle edition collection (mostly from a year and a half ago) have been corrected. X Ray works perfectly, covers of each individual book can be viewed, The maps can be enlarged by double tapping or expanding the distance of your fingers while touching the screen. and the TOC works perfectly for both individual books and chapters within the books using the GO TO function.I'm not sure when others purchased the collection mentioning the "high" cost but the current price is great and is cheaper than buying separately (either Kindle edition, or paperbacks) I too was introduced to G.O.T. through the HBO series. These books are better.
2222 comments|431 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2014
It's a great books series but on book 3 it cut out around 60 pages (I've had the box set for 2 months so I can't return it) all in all good series but check your books for all the pages as soon as you get it
review image
on September 18, 2015
To be clear, I'm not writing a review of a plot. I love the books and I was happy when I got them.

However, my issue is with the books themselves. When I got to the second book I noticed that approximately 70 pages are missing. I can't tell if this is the case for the rest of the books, but I'm certainly dissatisfied with the product.
review image review image
44 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2012
This series by George RR Martin is one of the best fantasy series I have read in a long time. He has a compelling writing style, and his decision to write about dynasties instead of a certain group of heroes makes this much more interesting than the standard fantasy plot. His characters feel real, the descriptions of their surroundings are rich enough that you can picture them in your mind perfectly, and the plot is consistent and moving. The five stars are for his writing.

The e-book bundle I would have rated three stars. I think the e-books are a bit overpriced, but the format is okay. All five books are in one document, but you can move easily between them. For some reason this bundle started on the title page of GoT, and I only found the table of content with the links to the single books when I accidentally moved a page back. I almost returned it, thinking there were no links to the single books, which would have been a major annoyance (I wonder if the same thing happened to the reviewers who gave this only one star because of formatting?). Also, only GoT has real page numbers (misleading advertisement!), which means if you are reading one of the later books, if you jump to page 100, you will be back in GoT. Also, if you go to table of content, you will be on the page with links to each book, so it takes you a few clicks to get to the toc of the book you are currently reading. I'm rarely using this feature, but I can understand it would annoy those who do. It would be nice if the titles of the chapters were in the table of content, that would make it easier to jump back to a certain chapter, or follow the viewpoint of a single character. Like in many other e-books I think the publisher does not see the advantage of the format, and many improvements (e.g. X-Ray) which would make for an easier read were not done. But since I prefer this to reaching my luggage limit with books, I have to live with it. I also think e-books, which have no paper, printing, storage or shipping cost, should never cost more than the paper copy (the paperback version of this bundle was $7 cheaper when I bought the e-book). I realize the publisher set the price, which is a stupid policy. E-book prices should be flexible and subject to discounts just as paper copies are, the seller should set the price (and pay the publisher just as with paper books). Hopefully, e-book quality and prices will improve in the next years.
22 comments|219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2016
The books are nice, good quality, and this is my fault but I didn't look at the size of the book and they are TINY. I'm lucky my vision isn't going because of how small they are and how small the font is. I would definitely go with a larger book! Be sure to look at size!!!
review image
on January 2, 2016
I was worried after reading the reviews that these books would be terribly small and hard to read. Seeing as no one has posted a comparison of the normal sized books compared to these ill do it myself. The pages are a little thin and transparent, so if you're reading in the sun keep the pages falt on the book or you'll see the words on the other side of the page! Other than that these are great for travel, I love them. They aren't real leather though, the are pleather which I don't have much complaints about either. Still very beautiful and worth the money!!
review image review image
on October 27, 2015
My review is specifically for the leather/cloth set edition of these books. The series itself is wonderful so I wanted collector's editions. My bad for not looking at the product dimensions. I wanted to post this because I was expecting larger sized books. These books are tiny, pocket sized. They also have a very strong fake leather chemical smell. I wanted to prevent anyone else from making the same mistake I did. The pages are very thin so you can see the type on the back side and next page as you are trying to read the current page (think bible paper). The type is also very tiny. They do look beautiful though. The colors of the actual covers are even prettier in person. I am rating this four stars as that is what I would rate the series itself and there are some good points to this set so it's not all bad.