Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: George Washington and the General's Dog (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

90%
10%
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 12, 2003
This easy reader is a delightful story to share with all students. The information gained about President Washington is unforgettable. Children will love that George named his dog "Sweetlips" and they won't forget that he was super kind and honest to one of his enemies! This book will be a staple in classrooms across the country and this true story of George may replace his "Cherry Tree" tale.
There is so much to this book than noted at first glance. First, we get a great dose of history told in a way children can understand it. Secondly, we learn some little known facts about our first president. Thirdly, we have animals, something neither kids nor adults can ever get enough of and fourthly, we get a story packed full of morals. But that is not all. The illustrations are very well executed and a delight. The text is simple an to the point and goes quite well with the illustrations. The book makes some very complicated situations and states them simply in a very nice story. I enjoy this one almost as much as the children do. This is a good work to read to the class as it generates good discussions. Recommend this one highly.
on October 19, 2005
My six-year-old son brought this title home from his school library. We read it together several times, and one night I found him meticulously copying a page from the book. My son hated to return the book, and I knew I had to buy it--for both of us! It tells a little-known story about Washington in a charming, beautifully illustrated manner that everyone (especially dog lovers) will love.
on February 27, 2005
I used this title with a class I teach to American children overseas. They really enjoyed it as a read-aloud and couldn't believe that it was true! I like that the back page had a copy of the original note sent as well as photos of drawings/paintings of Howe and Washington. The illustrations aren't spectacular, but the children loved it.
on September 28, 2004
This book is great for kids and parents. Teachers should read this book because it teaches good morals, foe children. I also like this book because of the dogs, and writing crafts in it. Hopefully Frank Murphy will keep writing kids books. If you buy this book you will be satisfied

SCOTT 11
I must admit, my kindergartener and I are great fans of the Step Into Reading series of books. Since my daughter had completed the Step 2 books in the Step Into Reading series of books, I decided to go ahead and purchase the Step 3 books. I was a bit hesitant because I noticed there is quite a big leap between the Step 2 and Step 3 books, especially in terms of vocabulary and sentence structure. The vocabulary is more advanced with higher order words, and the sentences are longer. I was also concerned that my daughter might not like the topics which seemed to be more 'academic' with history-based stories. My worries were unfounded. She loves the books and is reading them with very little help from me (and I enjoy listening to the stories!)

These books are excellent for building children's reading skills as well as increasing their confidence in reading. Once you've completed the Step 1 and Step 2 books (I would advise proceeding level by level), the Step 3 books are not as daunting as they might first appear. In "George Washington and the General's Dog", young readers are introduced to our first President. Who knew Washington was such a great animal lover, and owned 36 dogs in his lifetime? The illustrations enhance the reading experience and will motivate visual learners to want to read.

I can't recommend these books highly enough - they are great for building reading skills, and also educational. This book is a great introduction to history, and I also came up with a series of short comprehension questions based on the story in this book so as to hone my daughter's comprehension skills (e.g. "What was so special about George Washington?", "Can you name at least one of Washington's dogs?", "Who did the Americans fight?" etc.). These books are not only great intermediate readers but might also inculcate in children a great love of history.
on March 29, 2011
This well written and illustrated book focuses on our first President's love of animals, especially dogs. A fascinating and unique story about General Washington returning to General William Howe (the great British General and enemy!) his lost dog in the midst of the Revolutionary war. Can you believe it? This touching story not only humanizes Washington, but also does an excellent job introducing kids to early American History. Highly recommended!
on December 13, 2014
I think it is very important for our children and grandchildren to learn about the founding of our country. George Washington is such an admirable figure who performed a difficult task. This was a good introductory book for my 4 year old grandson to learn what a great man George Washington was. I enjoyed it as well.
on October 28, 2010
Children can't learn enough about this great hero and this top-rated book has wonderful thing for kids to know about him - George Washington loved animals. He was the best horse rider known in his neighborhood, he checked on all sorts of farm animals when he grew up in Mount Vernon, and he spent much time with his dogs with cute names like "Mopsey," Sweetlips," and "Truelove.". When America needed him to be the general to fight the American Revolution, he took Sweetlips with him. An amazing true dog story is tied into this junior history book as Washington found a lost dog that belonged to the English army general! Washington retuned the dog to enemy General Howe and his kind deed had earned him respect from the English people. The author's note includes the actual letter Washington wrote to Howe which touches all of our hearts. In 1783, America won the war against England and became its own country. He received many animals as honorable gifts from world leaders and as he was elected as the first president of the United States, the man who made history was lead by his six white horses leading the way.
on April 24, 2014
We enjoyed the story, my son was reviewing the history of president in first grade and he was so passionate about it we decided to get this book. The four star is the deceiving format for the kindle version. The reading is way too small and we can't make any adjustment