Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on October 6, 1999
I just finished reading this book to my fourth grade class. The students were so interested in it that they never wanted read aloud time to end! They learned a lot from this historical fiction piece, as well. Some of the people, places, and ideas have been seen in our social studies curriculum, and they REMEMBER them! This includes things like who the Hessians were, where Trenton is located, and Washington crossing the Delaware. Woodruff's writing has made this time in history so much more real for my students. They have a new understanding of what war is like and a new appreciation for history, unlike any they could have from reading a textbook.
on June 24, 1999
A great family read aloud! I read this book aloud to my three children each night after supper. They got so involved in the story, one night they forgot to watch their favorite TV show. This book makes an excellent read-aloud and is the kind of literature I want my children to be reading.It's exciting, full of humor and imagination. A great way to learn about history. But what I loved most about the book was that it was so full of heart and though the kids laughed alot in the funny parts the also grew very, very quiet suring the sad parts. The story opened up a lot of discussion about war and what happens when men choose to fight for their beliefs. My children and I are looking forward to sharing other books by this author.
on January 25, 2009
Should be on every 4-6 teacher's bookshelf. A time-travel adventure gimmick will get the kids to read it, and they'll relatively painlessly learn about some of the horrors of war, including cowardice, that all too many texts gloss over. And yet it's not "politically correct" - Washington is made slightly more human but still heroic, for example. Any kid who does read it will probably ace the test on the American Revolution.... As for the review "Caution Parents" - if you feel that you must keep your children in a bubble, then I'm sure you can talk to them about how foolish you believe the characters to be. Use the book to teach not only the Am. Rev., but also the need to make careful choices.
on January 27, 2014
This was a Christmas present for my 7-year-old who loves reading about history. He loves the Magic Tree House and I Survived series. I chose this one because he enjoys reading about the Revolutionary War. He decided that instead of reading it by himself (He's a really good reader for a second grader!), he wanted me to read a chapter or two aloud each night. That was fine with me because I love reading to him and his 5-year-old brother. The story started off really well--some boys starting an adventure club. Both boys enjoyed it. There is obviously a time-travel component, and the chapters dealing with how the kids traveled back in time via an old rowboat kind of frightened both boys. Once we got past that part, they really got into the story. The boys (and one's little sister) end up with George Washington crossing the Delaware River. Through several events, the kids get separated, meet interesting people, wonder how they'll get back home, etc. We have only read about 3/4 of the book, and we are all enjoying the adventure. However, I will caution you that there are some words in this book that I don't feel are appropriate for a children's book. In fact, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them as I was reading ahead. Honestly, that kind of ruined the book for me. Luckily, since I'm reading it aloud, I can skip over or change certain words instead of saying them. Also, this is a book about war, and some of the descriptions of injuries, wounds, and illnesses are a bit more graphic than I would have liked. It's a really interesting story that keeps your attention, but I don't think I would want my children reading it independently, even if they were a little older. Also, as a former elementary school teacher, I wouldn't recommend it as a read-aloud selection unless you want to read it ahead of time and edit out inappropriate material. As much as the boys and I like the story itself, I must be honest: I probably would not have purchased the book if I had known it contained profanity--even a little. Maybe I'm naive, but I didn't expect books written for children (even somewhat older children) to contain "bad" words. They grow up so fast as it is. We'll finish the book because we do like the story and want to see how it turns out. I just wish I had gotten a "heads up" before we got interested in it.
on December 16, 1998
George Washington's Socks is a mixture of everything good that a children's book should have - some humor, some suspense, some drama and true friendships. As you read it, you learn a great historical lesson about the Revolutionary War and all of its hardships and tragedy. But it is also a story of 5 kids sticking todgether, helping eachother and others and learning the value of friendship. Since it has time travel in it, it should be of interest to a lot of readers. I would recommend it to any child and his/her parent who is 9-12 yr old. I am wondering if there are any other time travel adventures by this same author and involving this same group of 5 kids. I would be interested in reading any others!
on April 11, 2012
My son is 10 years old, he loves both books and history, I homeschool him and am always searching for ways to combine subjects for him. This year on his 4th grade reading list, this book is listed. I love to encourage my son to read, and one of his incentives is to fill his entire bookcase with books that he has read. That being said, it can be costly to continuously purchase said books.
I bought this book used and thought as long as it had all the pages, I would be happy.
It may as well have been brand new. The condition was excellent. No toears, no bent pages, not even a crayon mark to be found. He began reading it the moment it arrived and has since finished it.
I was more than pleased to add this book and the seller did not disappoint.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 14, 2010
The value of "George Washington's Socks" is not so much that it gives tons of information about our first president --it doesn't-- but that it really brings home the fact that the American Revolutionary War was real, and that people suffered for what they believed in.

In essence, it's sort of a Time Warp Trio/Magic TreeHouse adventure. There are four boys -- Matthew, Quentin, Hooter and Tony-- and the little sister, Katie, who leads them into trouble. The gang doesn't have a Tree House or Book to whisk them off, but a rowboat.

Talking Points:::
This is one of the books our school has chosen for all 4th Graders to read; and having read it, I can understand why. Elvira Woodruff makes the cold and danger of Washington's crossing palpable. And she doesn't shy from having good people die.

Generally pedestrian writing --from an adult's point of view-- but appropriate for kids.

George Washington is portrayed as a kind, fatherly figure; but the focus is more on common people.

AR -- 5.0

a PamT mini-review
(booksforkids-reviews)
on June 30, 2015
My son loved this book. He read it as a prerequisite for the second story which he will do a project on for his summer reading project. He's ten years old...and loving the second one even more than the first. He has a light and enthusiasm about him as he discusses what's happening in the story that I thoroughly enjoy seeing.
on August 5, 2015
My 8 year old found the book interesting, and wrote a book report on it for school. The author views the Revolutionary War with somewhat of a twist - she expresses some sympathy for the individual participants in the war on both sides, without presenting a good guys verses bad guys point of view.
on November 8, 2013
My grandson had to read this book for his 4th grade reading class. To discuss it with him I also bought a copy and read it. It was a fun read while also teaching historical facts. It brought history to life in such a way that young children can easily understand. The chapters were short and easily held my grandson's attention. I also found some excellent study questions on line to use for our discussions. I plan to buy more books for him in this series. Hopefully it will encourage him to develop an interest and love for history. I never developed this interest due to teachers who did not make history come alive. I think this series of books could do just that for young students.