4.0 out of 5 stars How I rated George�s Marvelous medicine
Have you ever had a rotten relative that you would like to get rid of? Well this is the book for you.
Hello!
My name is Natasha. I read the book George's Marvelous medicine
This book is written by: Roald Dahl
Published on November 8, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars I love Roald Dahl, BUT...
Published on June 12, 2003 by Feetsy

4.0 out of 5 stars How I rated George�s Marvelous medicine, November 8, 2000
A Kid's Review
This review is from: George's Marvelous/ (Paperback)
Hello!
My name is Natasha. I read the book George's Marvelous medicine
This book is written by: Roald Dahl
This book is wonderful. It's about a boy named George. George has a grandma that acts like a wicked witch. Throughout the book George tries to make medicine that would make his nasty grandma be nice.
I really like this book because the author describes the medicine and the characters and what happens to them so well that I could picture it in my mind.
I recommend this book to kids who have wild imaginations and like to make pretend potions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious book!! Fabulous for all ages!! Also adults!, March 3, 1999
By A Customer
George's Marvelous Medicine is a fantastic book, for all ages! It's hilarious and will make anyone laugh. Once you start reading this book you won't be able to get your nose out of it!!! I would rate this book a most definite five, or the highest rating possible!!! I read this while I was on vacation and no one could get me to go anywhere! The plot was set in the English countryside, where an eight year old boy, named George was stuck with his horrid grandma, who told him all sorts of terrible stories that frightened him to death! Eventually, George got so fed up with the obnoxious old hag, that he made up a special medicine, to replace her regular daily medicine. The medicine works wonders, and makes the grandma taller than a house, and very spunky!! If you enjoy strange and wonderful humor,fun and exciting books, or Roald Dahl books, I strongly reccomend this!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars George's Marvelous Medicine, March 19, 2006
A Kid's Review
George's Marvelous Medicine

By: Roald Dahl

Reviewed By: S. Kim

Period: 1

George's Marvelous Medicine is about how a little boy who hates his grandmother. When it is time for him to feed his grandmother his medicine, he makes a concoction of different things. Although he was late in giving his grandmother his medicine, his grandmother still took it. You may be thinking, oh where are his parents or his guardian. Well, they left for an errand and left George's grandmother in charge. That was a bad idea, but nobody knew that George was thinking of a way to destroy his grandmother. He gave the medicine to his grandmother and something odd happened. His grandmother turned very long and tall. Her head broke up into the ceiling. She was literally taller then the house! Then George knew there was something odd about his medicine that he put together. So he decided to try it on a hen, a pig, bullocks, sheep, a gray pony, and finally a goat. One thing that he realized in all animals was that the medicine made it get bigger in size. Obviously his parents were outraged, and needed a place where grandma can sleep, and the only place was the barn, so she slept there for a while. George and his father needed something so that it would make his grandmother smaller. So they came up with another concoction. They gave the new medicine to George's grandmother and when they did she became smaller and smaller. She was so small that you can barely hear her scream or talk. Then some how George's grandmother became smaller and then disappeared into thin air. This was a good thing for George, but at first his mother going crazy. Then after a while she said that her mom disappearing was okay.

The thing that I disliked from this book was how George didn't like his grandmother at all. There is a quote about that talks about George not liking his grandmother and it is, "He really hated that horrid old witchy woman." How can you hate your grandmother so much that you think that she is horrid and somewhat like a witch? I love my grandmother very much and would never hate her even if she did something annoying, mean, and bad. Another thing that I didn't like about the book was that George's mother didn't think it was a big deal that her mother just disappeared. In the last page of the book it says, "Ah well, I suppose it's all or the best, really. She was a bit of a nuisance around the house, wasn't she?" If it were to be my mom that disappeared I would be crying my eyes out, and every time I would think about my mom I would be sad and depressed.

The part I liked in this book was how George tried it on all the animals and they all turned into a different size. The book says, "George gave a spoonful of the medicine to the pig. The pig blew smoke from its nose and jumped about all over the place. Then it grew and grew." The pig grew so big that it was big as an elephant. The pig was already big by itself and now it just got bigger. That was a hilarious part in the book. Another part that was funny was how George mixed up everything to make replace his grandmother's medicine. It says, "A handful of grease- to grease her creaking joints." When George was picking the ingredients he was very smart about picking each one the correct way.

My favorite part of the book was how George had taken so long just to replace his grandmother's medicine. Another thing that I couldn't believe was that his grandmother believed and trusted George for the medicine, even if he was late on giving it to her. I guess she is very gullible. I think George is a very smart boy, but he uses it for evil planning. Maybe that's why it's called his marvelous medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous "George's Mavelous Medicine, June 30, 2005
Pat Cat "pathuba" (Albany, NY United States) - See all my reviews
If you love Roald Dahl, this audio CD revision is a must. Richard E. Grant brings George, his grandma, and his parents along with the animals to life in true storyteller tradition. The voices make you want to sit back and enjoy the story in all it's glory.

Being unabridged you can follow along with a copy of the book un-hand. And it makes a great bedtime story that parents and children can enjoy together.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was a good book., April 15, 1999
By A Customer
George's Marvelous Medicine was a book about a toung boy named George and his grandmother. His grandmother ia an old hag that is always mean to George.Everyday at 11:00, George has to give his grandmother her medicine. So George gets mad at his grandma for sharing the nastiest stories you've ever heard of.So what George decides to do is make a matvelous medicine that makes his grandmother so shooken up that..... I LET YOU READ THE REST!!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars I love Roald Dahl, BUT..., June 12, 2003
Feetsy (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
I don't think that this book is appropriate for all children. Parents who are conscientious about the kinds of things that their children read or watch on television should take note. The subjects of cruelty and revenge are treated very cavalierly in this book, and as such, not all parents will find it suitable. It's important to ensure that if children do read this book, they understand that the things that George does are not to be translated into real life.
Though the subject of revenge on uncaring parents and teachers seems to be a common one for Roald Dahl, not all of his books contain material this extreme. There are many, many other wonderful books by Roald Dahl that young readers and parents alike may find more appealing. Perhaps a better suggestion would be "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Fantastic Mr. Fox," or "Matilda."
Roald Dahl is a masterful story-teller, and children tend to enjoy the fact that he is never condescending and always seems to be on "their side." With that in mind, this book may not be the best one for demonstrating his storytelling abilities and many parents would be best advised to look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars This medicine goes down easily, February 11, 2005
George's grandmother is an absolutely wicked old woman, who delights in nothing more than being mean to George and making him uncomfortable. After a particularly grueling encounter with the old bat which makes him frightened, George tries to think of a way to teach his grandmother a lesson. As with so many other Dahl protagonists, he hits upon a brilliant and daring plan. He decides to replace her medication with "Georges Marvelous Medicine," which he makes by mixing up a witch's brew of household items. He knows that it's magical, but not what it will do. And that's when things get even more entertaining.

Once again, Roald Dahl has created a masterpiece that will keep children enthralled by presenting a forbidden fantasy; in this case, taking revenge on a wicked, persecuting adult who seems protected by the envelope of invulnerability that adults seem to have.

This is a very slim book, and even a casual young reader should be able to plow through it in one or two sittings. I remember that, after I read it for the first time as a boy, I coudn't put my finger on exactly what I had enjoyed so much. The plot is very simple, and I couldn't answer my own question. I finally just decided that I liked it all; every page and scene is entertaining.

Children and adults will love the humor that this book represents. While Dahl comes under fire from some parents, I feel that the tongue-in-cheek nature of the book makes itself known to children; in the same way that they know they can't throw a bucket of water on a wicked woman to melt her (ala The Wizard of Oz), they'll know that they can't be poisoning the unpleasant old people in their life. Above all, this is a fun story, and children will love to see the unpredictable effects of the magic brew that George creates.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Most Hilarious Book, January 4, 2002
buelah (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl is a fantasy story with many exaggerations. To start the story off the main character George decides to make some medicine for his grandmother so she won't be so crabby. He goes around he house collecting ingredients that go from basic ingredients all the way to very exotic ingredients. George wonders if his creation will turn out to work. George has an exciting mind that never gives up trying. This book is very hilarious in the end. In this book, George accidently gives the medicine to some other people/animals. It turns out to be a disaster. I would definitely recommend this book to any reader that likes to read comical and untrue books.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Dahl's best!, December 29, 2005
mirmo (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This is one of the first books I remember reading in British primary school. I was definitely younger than 9, Amazon's "recommended reading age". I still remember the book so well.

For the reviewers who worry that little kids will copy what they read in the book (mixing together nasty potions and feeding it to a living creature), you shouldn't have to worry about that unless you've raised intensely mischevious children. I was a normal little girl and I *never* even considered copying George's outlandish stunts.

A must-read for any young child with a vivid imagination!

5.0 out of 5 stars Roald Dahl's Marvelous Book, March 1, 2001
This book is the best! I read it at the daycare center where I work to children ranging from 3 years old to 13 years. Everyone loved it. I am completing my degree in elementary education, and this book is highly recommended from professors as one for children to read. The creative plot of the story and imaginative vocabulary stimulate children's minds (adults as well). If you are a parent, buy this book and either read it to your child or let him/her read it to you. If you are a teacher, use this book in your classroom. This is one book that should not go unnoticed.

George's Marvelous Medicine
George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl (Paperback - August 16, 2007)
$7.99 $7.19