Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on April 21, 2008
I've been a fan of Trisha's for years (my husband even likes her music and he doesn't care for country music!), so this was a "must have" for me. I've collected lots of cookbooks over the years, but find myself returning to the same type over & over again. I'm sure this one will be one of those books. I've already made the brownies, which were excellent, and the Chicken Pie. Trisha stated that it was "pure comfort food" and the picture looked like a dish I used to order at a restaurant years ago at a restaurant back home in southern Ohio. It didn't disappoint! It was yummy and did taste a bit like the dish I remembered! Thanks for doing a book for people like me.....the ones who don't like complicated recipes, just good food!
on June 26, 2008
My mother was not a great cook. I have never really learned but by myself. My husband bought me a RR cookbook which I thought would be easy but was not so! I love this book. The first week I made four (4) recipes out of this cookbook (that is a record for me in one week). And they all turned out great. My kids loved the Chicken Broccoli Casserole, the "Kyle Leomon Pound Cake" (my 21 year old son almost ate the whole cake).. I made the "Trisha Homemade Chicken Salad" (again, gone in like 3 days)... I made the cooked the "Roast Beef with Gravy" (came out perfect, even tho I was about 1/2 hour late taking it out. I have four kids (and one 21 year old with a girlfriend) I cook alot. She really means it when she says the ingredients are easy to find in the grocery store. The other cookbook I called for expensive cheeses (like perconico reggionno or whatever)... this is a great econominical cookbook. I have never ever written a review for a cookbook, I am so happy with this one. This weekend I am going to try two more recipes ... I love this cookbook. I have purchased so many in the past that have really disappointed me.. this is right on the mark. And I really love the stories with the recipes.. they are fun to read and very insightful. I wish I was in this family.. I cannot wait if Trisha and her sisters publish another book, I would immediately buy it. I will get thru all the recipes in this book soon, like I said, so far, it is easy and every thing has turned out great (I plan on trying her rib and cole slaw recipe next week on the 4th of July).. Thank you so much Trish Yearwood for sharing your cherished recipes with all of us.
22 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2008
This cookbook is full of the comfort of home!! If you are wanting to diet or be worldly and exotic, this is not the book for you. If you appreciate a good home-cooked meal made with love and all the comfort it provides, you've found your match! This book is wonderful for a seasoned cook, but it is outstanding for a new cook. Not only does it provide uncomplicated basic dishes, but it also provides all the cooking tips for that recipe that a new cook may not have learned yet. It's a great wedding shower gift! I tried the Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Trisha's sister. Now MY Sunday School class will be expecting it each time it is my turn to bring refreshments!! It's a simple cake with a whole lotta sin!! A great cookbook..........and a great read too!!!
on April 23, 2008
I was raised in Georgia, but left in young adulthood, so most of these foods are familiar to me. I never learned the technique for getting the same flavor or texture of these dishes since my Mom wasn't southern, so I am thrilled to have this book filled with recipes of real food that I had at school, friends' homes, and dining in southern restaurants. I've already tried 3 of her recipes, her fried chicken tasted just as I remember it, who knew to soak it in brine first...

I can't wait for her/their next cookbook! I enjoy all types of food, cooked many different ways, if it is tasty, and appealing, I'm no food snob. :)
on April 23, 2008
This is a wonderful book! Chock full of delicious recipes and lots of beautiful photographs, this book is a perfect go-to cookbook for southern cooking. It has a welcoming feel, easy to understand recipes, and lots of notes and tidbits from Trisha, Gwen, and Beth (her co-writer mother and sister) alongside family photos and mouth-watering recipe photographs. The book is broken down into the following sections: Snacks and Appetizers; Soups and Salads; Beef and Pork; Poultry, Fish and Pasta; Sides; Quick Breads and Muffins; Cakes, Pies, and Puddings; and Cookies, Candy, and Ice Cream. If you love down-home southern cooking then this book is definitely for you.
on April 29, 2008
I am a music fan...but most of my music is NOT country. I don't own any of her CD's and have none of her music on my IPOD. BUT...If she continues to put out recipe books...I want to own EVERY ONE OF HER RECIPES. I am from South Georgia. I am old enough to be Trisha's mother. But she can cook circles around me. And some of her hints and especially her recipes my mom did not pass on to me. So please...continue this. I can't wait for the next book.
on November 7, 2008
I thought this was a fun cookbook to read. Loved the little blurbs and intros for each one with personal notes from her family. That is what great family recipes are, they arent just the bowl or plate of food, they are a living history of a family passed from one generation to another. I was so surprised to find my stepmom Millie's (from Georgia)exact Broccoli Salad recipe in this book. She passed that recipe to me 10 years ago, and we make it every holiday in my home.
Back to the book, if you love basic down home southern cooking (and arent worried about fat or calories) then buy this book. I have to say that I love this book more than my Rachael Ray cookbooks. You will love this too!
on May 11, 2008
I grew up in the south and loved my grandmother's cooking. My mother was not a "southern" cook so I never knew the recipes. Finally, I know them! From the first bite of the baked beans and the broccoli salad, my taste buds knew they'd found home. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Now I have Alabama cooking in my northern Virginia home!
on April 17, 2008
I have been a Trisha Yearwood fan since "She's in Love with the Boy". So, obviously, it was a no-brainer purchasing this wonderful and beautiful cookbook. I am no cook by any means, in fact, I'm not real crazy about cooking... until this book. I've already made 4 recipes. If you love Southern food, the South, or anything remotely country - you'll love to try some of these delicious recipes. Family photos and food pictures throughout - all in color - will be an additional enjoyment.
on December 26, 2008
Loved this cookbook. When it first came out I borrowed from the library, then I knew I had to have it for use when ever I wanted to. Tried the Pineapple Upside Down Cake, DELICIOUS!! Real downhome recipes your family will love.