Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Georgia's Kitchen
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon August 5, 2010
After a terrible review (as the result of her idiot boss seducing the reviewer's barely legal daughter), head chef Georgia is out of a job and quickly finds herself without a fiancé as well. Seems the coke-addicted entertainment lawyer she intended to marry (even though she had a few doubts) feels their commitment drove him to drugs. Smartly, Georgia doesn't buy it and encourages the split; it's time to focus on her career and starting a restaurant of her own. It was incredibly refreshing to read a book with a female protagonist who didn't fall apart and who didn't do the happily ever after (yes, she does briefly flee to Italy for work, but her job options were minimal in New York); Georgia indulges romantically, but the restaurant becomes her focus as soon as the fiancé is out of the picture. Georgia later has a great conservation with her soon-to-be business partner where she tells him how she realized in Italy that she can be alone and that it's okay to ask for help.

The dialogue is great as are the relationships. The dynamic between Grammy (Dorothy's deceased mom) and Dorothy (Georgia's mom) and Georgia is incredibly well done.

Copy received from the publisher.
VINE VOICEon August 13, 2010
I may not be a foodie when it comes to actual food, but I cannot get enough of foodie fiction. Seriously there is nothing better than a good story that involves food. I had a delightful time eating my lunch and reading this book. I swear the food I was eating tasted so much better than it normally would have due to the wonderful creations that were talked about in the story.

Georgia is a chef who is trying to make her mark in the culinary world. Unfortunately for her, she works in a restaurant where the owner cares more about getting into pants than watching his own. I was devastated at the turn of events that caused Georgia to be removed from her job. Even though I can sort of understand the reasoning behind it, it just makes no sense to me as to why she got the blame when it was due to a personal issue with the owner. Luckily though, these turn of events allows her to go to Italy where she's able to start fresh again.

I loved the travel aspect of the book. I could totally picture myself in Italy, creating dishes along side Georgia. There is great chemistry in the book with all the characters. Her coworkers and especially the head chef in Italy made for good reading. Georgia's relationship with her parents is interesting. Her mother seems to be oblivious to Glenn's faults and keeps thinking that Georgia has shorted herself in life by becoming a chef. I was worried that throughout the book she would keep lamenting at how Georgia had never reached her full potential and keep forcing her to a marriage that would be unhealthy for her. Luckily, their relationship patches up throughout the book though it is amusing how it happens. Her relationship with her father is a bit better but it is easy to see how even with their quirks and faults they both love their daughter very much.

If there was anything at all that I would have added to the book, it might have the inclusion of some of the recipes of the dishes mentioned in the book. Almost everything that Georgia cooked sounded absolutely delicious and I would have loved to at least try to be able to recreate them in my own home. Although from what I read, I would probably have to cut back on the salt! Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. I had a great time eating and traveling with Georgia and sharing in all her adventures. If her restaurant actually existed, I would have to go to NYC just to stop in and order. This is an excellent debut from Nelson and I look forward to reading more from her. HIGHLY Recommended.
on August 6, 2010
I really got into this book. You can really relate to Georgia. The storytelling style and pace of the narrative pull you in right from the beginning and you are eager to find out where the story is going. This is a perfect book, funny - well-paced - and written in a very engaging style. I definitely recommend you check it out.
on July 19, 2011
I love to pick up a book and find it so good, that I almost don't want to read too much at a time because I never want it to end. This book made me feel just the opposite. I couldn't wait to be done with it. (I hate to not finish a book at all.) In my opinion, the story wasn't original, the main character wasn't endearing at all and the writing was amateurish and lazy. All the good reviews baffle me.
VINE VOICEon August 11, 2010
You know I read all these books of girls running off to Italy to find themselves... (i.e. Under the Tuscan Sun, Eat Pray Love, etc.) why didn't I ever think of that? Gosh!

When Georgia's life comes crumbling down around her she picks up the pieces by changing location, lifestyle, leaving family and friends behind. She finds herself working with an old friend at an up-and-coming restaurant, with a staff that's helpful and encouraging, she makes new friends and even finds a love interest in a neighbor... but although Italy holds its appeal, her dream has always been to own a restaurant in New York.

Ms. Nelson creates a wonderful protagonist in Georgia. She's tough but you can't help to feel bad for her with all the unlucky events she's going through. You like her from the start and will definitely be rooting for her. The supporting characters were just as fun and endearing. But my favorite were the descriptions of Tuscany itself. You will find yourself picturing the rustic backdrop, hearing the sounds and smelling its scent. Ms. Nelson definitely captures the tiny details and creates a very vivid setting. And then there were the descriptions of food - the details were so rich that I could actually envision and practically smell what was being cooked. Mouth watering.

All in all, fans of chick-lit, romance and foodies will all find something in Georgia's Kitchen. It is light, entertaining and very charming. It is the perfect summer read and one that I can definitely recommend.

This book was provided for review by BookSparks PR
on February 27, 2011
If you're a serious foodie, you'll enjoy the food and restaurant descriptions. But the story itself is not much more than a bland, uninspired "made for TV movie".
on August 23, 2010
This book is that rare creature: the perfect beach read. It is well-written, fast-paced and interesting. There are a lot of books out there that are "light reading" but to find one that is well written and intelligent is a real treat. I highly recommend this book -- don't worry that it's the author's first -- she's so good you'd think it was her tenth. Absolutely a page-turner.
on March 26, 2011
I picked up this book from the library because I had read such good things about it on Amazon. I think most of those reviews must have been written by friends/fans of the author because so much of descriptive language indicates they never read the book. This story is boring and the style of writing is dull as well. I am 2/3 of the way through, and I really don't care what happens because the main character is such an idiot. I would have been okay with a simpleminded plot had the description of Italy and the food been good, but even that barely transported you to the country. This book is not interesting or funny, and if you want to take it for a beach read, I assume you want to nap on your loungechair.
on August 10, 2010
In preparation for a vacation on European time, I got up really early for several mornings and read -- now this book makes me want to change my plans from France to Italy. It's great getting to know Georgia, but her lifestyle had me hungover by 9:00 AM. All that wine, all that fantastic food, all those sexy Italians. But the author also really pegged a certain milieu in our city -- as a New Yorker I liked feeling "in" on so many references. And while it is too facile to read fiction as biography, I certainly hope the author's husband is equal parts Gianni and Andrew with only a dash of Glenn thrown in for the stylish gifts. Yes, dark chocolate is a health food, and everyone loves ensalata caprese. Everyone will love this book too. BUT Zola's anti-heroine is the only "Nana" I know -- does this portend a dark sequel???
on August 18, 2010
All I can say is I am disappointed...disappointed that I am going to have to wait for the second novel to get more of Georgia and family. This booked had me spellbound and waiting for more at the end of every chapter. Jenny Nelson nails the descriptions of trendy and fast paced New York City, to the Hustle of restaurant life, to the serenity of Italy's rolling countrysides and slower, more romantic pace of life. She captures the essence of fine dining and it's attention to details. All which revolves around the story of a talented and beautiful young chef, Georgia, who through several disappointments learns not to focus on what she doesn't have , but on what she does have....a lesson we all should remember. Through hard work, persistence, and the help of others she finds her way to her dreams! An amazing first novel!