1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT! but lack of details, August 10, 2013
This review is from: Gerard David A Purity of Vision in an Age of Transition (Hardcover)
I bought several MET's books. In general terms all have a similar design: beautiful in itself. I mean: they could have more full page plates, specially FULL PAGE DETAILS even at the expense of strict rules of page layout.
I worked 25 years as graphic designer and I think that details are what art books can offer in these digital + internet world better than any digital screen image. The reasons why:
1) What you see in your screen is colored DIRECT light. Instead, what you see in a book page is REFLECTED light –less bright and less powerful– much more similar than what you see in the original painting.
2) Detail pictures can offer what you can't see even at the museum: because it's too high or alarm protected, etc.
Texts are also great, but I miss a dose of formal analysis like those of Meyer Shapiro, Kenneth Clark, etc. l(why certain color harmonies were used, structural composition related to the described story and probable personal artist's intentions, etc.)
Sorry, forgot to mention I am a visual artist in painting too. Thanks.

Gerard David A Purity of Vision in an Age of Transition
Gerard David A Purity of Vision in an Age of Transition by Maryan W. Ainsworth (Hardcover - 1998)
Used & New from: $56.95